What's new

Marvel's GUARDIANS of the GALAXY Vol. 2: May 5th, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Is Gunn the only person on Earth that could make a good GotG movie?

It is the type of humor/ drama that makes the GOTG that only Gunn can deliver in my opinion. My quick analogy:
Imagine if Ben Edlund was not involved whatsoever with 'The Tick' . Not as a writer, or story editor. Would the Tick still be as funny, even meaningful? I don't think so.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It is the type of humor/ drama that makes the GOTG that only Gunn can deliver in my opinion. My quick analogy:
Imagine if Ben Edlund was not involved whatsoever with 'The Tick' . Not as a writer, or story editor. Would the Tick still be as funny, even meaningful? I don't think so.

I can’t say I know much about The Tick, but I think it’s a bit of a defeatist attitude to think that whoever replaces Gunn is doomed from start. Gunn certainly has a lot to do with GotG, but surely he’s not all of it. Let’s go back to some prior examples (and in full disclosure, I know that some of the examples I’ll provide are not entirely apples to apples, but still worth mentioning)

Superman/Superman II: Donner is fired from finishing SII. Lester has to reshoot a good portion of footage already in the can so that he gets sole Director’s credit. He delivers a film that many fans think is superior to S:TM.

Star Trek:TMP/ST:WoK (and the rest of the Odd/Even theory): Doesn’t need much explanation.

Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back: At the time, I’m sure there were tons of fans screaming WTF at Lucas not directing the sequel (yeah I know Lucas was still heavily involved creatively, but you get the idea)

Alien/Aliens: Two movies where the genres are essentially different but still equally superlative

The Hustler/The Color of Money: Scorsese, enough said.

The Thing From Another World/John Carpenter’s The Thing: Needs no explanation.

Hitchcock’s Psycho/Van Zandt’s Psycho: Just seeing if you were paying attention.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Is Gunn the only person on Earth that could make a good GotG movie?
Of course not. But he's the only one with an immediate buy in from audiences. Anybody else is building that good will from the ground up again.

Superman/Superman II: Donner is fired from finishing SII. Lester has to reshoot a good portion of footage already in the can so that he gets sole Director’s credit. He delivers a film that many fans think is superior to S:TM.
Worth noting though that most of the really beloved sections of that film were directed by Donner, and Lester's hiring was controversial enough that a Donner Cut was stitched together decades later using as much Donner footage as possible and as little Lester footage as possible, despite the original Superman II ending being repurposed for Superman: The Movie.

Star Trek:TMP/ST:WoK (and the rest of the Odd/Even theory): Doesn’t need much explanation.
This is an apples to oranges comparison, because while Robert Wise is undeniably a giant of cinema, TMP wasn't much beloved even at the time of release. Meyer came into the picture knowing that they needed to do something different for the second stab at Star Trek on the big screen.

The Hustler/The Color of Money: Scorsese, enough said.
Again, an apples to oranges comparison. Rossen was dead when The Color of Money was made, and the young genius behind Taxi Driver and Raging Bull was a much bigger sell than the dead guy who ratted on his own colleagues before the House Un-American Activities Committee.

Hitchcock’s Psycho/Van Zandt’s Psycho: Just seeing if you were paying attention.
:)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Of course not. But he's the only one with an immediate buy in from audiences. Anybody else is building that good will from the ground up again.

Worth noting though that most of the really beloved sections of that film were directed by Donner, and Lester's hiring was controversial enough that a Donner Cut was stitched together decades later using as much Donner footage as possible and as little Lester footage as possible, despite the original Superman II ending being repurposed for Superman: The Movie.

This is an apples to oranges comparison, because while Robert Wise is undeniably a giant of cinema, TMP wasn't much beloved even at the time of release. Meyer came into the picture knowing that they needed to do something different for the second stab at Star Trek on the big screen.

Again, an apples to oranges comparison. Rossen was dead when The Color of Money was made, and the young genius behind Taxi Driver and Raging Bull was a much bigger sell than the dead guy who ratted on his own colleagues before the House Un-American Activities Committee.

:)

I accept your points, but I think you get what I mean when I suggest that a change in the creative reins does not necessarily mean doom on a project.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Of course not, but the synergy between Gunn and the cast is in very large part what makes the Guardians films the successes that they are. Bringing in a different director for the final movie would shift that tone in a way that probably wouldn't sync with what came before. Plus, there's the very public reason that Gunn wouldn't be directing #3, which would poison the well for a lot of fans right off the bat.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Rumor on Twitter this morning says that Disney is likely to throw out Gunn's script.

That's an incredibly stupid move, if true.

BTW, Iger is back from vacation. He hosted an investor conference call yesterday.

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
A gross oversimplification, but when Roseanne was fired people were mad at her because by the show being cancelled cast and crew suddenly became unemployed.

So now Disney fires Gunn but still wants to make the movie, keeping the cast and crews jobs, but its still bad.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Rumor on Twitter this morning says that Disney is likely to throw out Gunn's script.

That's an incredibly stupid move, if true.

BTW, Iger is back from vacation. He hosted an investor conference call yesterday.

Yes, INCREDIBLY stupid if true. But since this is just a twitter rumor (and we already had the rumor saying that the feeling was that they may hire him back, followed by the rumors that they won’t hire him back) I’ll wait until we hear something more definitive before letting myself get more pissed. But I am basically getting ready to accept that Volume 3 is likely to be a big departure from what made this series so appealing to so many.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
A gross oversimplification, but when Roseanne was fired people were mad at her because by the show being cancelled cast and crew suddenly became unemployed.

So now Disney fires Gunn but still wants to make the movie, keeping the cast and crews jobs, but its still bad.

I'm not sure these are remotely comparable situations, especially considering the reactions of the cast in both cases. Gunn's cast supports him, Roseanne's not so much.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Yes, INCREDIBLY stupid if true. But since this is just a twitter rumor (and we already had the rumor saying that the feeling was that they may hire him back, followed by the rumors that they won’t hire him back) I’ll wait until we hear something more definitive before letting myself get more pissed. But I am basically getting ready to accept that Volume 3 is likely to be a big departure from what made this series so appealing to so many.

Agreed. This news, if true, makes me incredibly angry and sad. Why would Kevin Feige be okay with this?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Throwing out Gunn's script would be petty, and virtually guarantees that unless GOTG3 undeniably knocks it out of the park, there is going to be suspicion that it wasn't what it could have been. And if Bautista asks to go in response it will be exponentially worse.

All seems so ridiculous when it could simply be resolved with them reinstating Gunn and him giving the appropriate mea culpas.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. This news, if true, makes me incredibly angry and sad. Why would Kevin Feige be okay with this?
Everybody has got a boss.

Throwing out Gunn's script would be petty...
Once they fired him as director, I kinda assumed that they'd toss his script since, if by Disney's twisted logic, Gunn is too terrible to direct for them, he must also be too terrible to write for them too.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Everybody has got a boss.

Once they fired him as director, I kinda assumed that they'd toss his script since, if by Disney's twisted logic, Gunn is too terrible to direct for them, he must also be too terrible to write for them too.

And yet he wasn't "too terrible" to do the first two films? The ones that made the Guardians of the Galaxy A-list superheroes? That guy? I mean, Disney and Marvel knew about Gunn's past before they hired him in the first place. But now he's "toxic?" I'm sorry, but I just don't get it.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hollywood Reporter saying that Gunn’s script is being used and he may yet be rehired, possibly for future Marvel projects. THR also says he’s been in demand from other studios, including Warner. Because he didn’t violate his contract, he could get $7 million to $10 million as an exit fee.

“I’d work with him in a heartbeat,” says one senior executive at a rival studio.

“Most people feel his comments were coming out of his brand of comedy [at the time he made them],” says another studio exec. “Having an inappropriate sense of humor shouldn’t be a crime. “

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks