1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Black Widow

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sam Favate, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    There are reports that filming will happen in Budapest.

holtge and Jake Lipson like this.
  2. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Official Logo:
    BlackWidow_001.

Confirming what we already knew: Scarlett Johansson reprises the title role. Florence Pugh is playing Yelena Belova, the second Black Widow. David Harbour is playing Alexi Shostakov. Rachel Weisz and O-T Fagbenle also star. Taskmaster is the villain. Cate Shortland is directing. Natasha goes to Budapest.

In theaters May 1, 2020.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    It's interesting that they are keeping the May 1 date and not moving it a week earlier like they did for Infinity War and Endgame.

5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I think that the significance of those movies, and the potential spoiler factors involved, lead to the release date being moved up to match the earlier oversees date. But for most “normal” MCU movies, I think they will return to the more traditional release dates.

6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Yeah, obviously the spoiler factor won't be quite as big of a deal on Black Widow -- where, let's face it, we all already watched her die anyway, so we know how her story ends -- as it was on Infinity War and Endgame. However, they found a release date that worked very well and effectively expanded the "big" moviegoing season by a week, so there could be an argument to be made for making the late April date the new normal.

On the other hand, Black Widow will obviously make less in its domestic run than Endgame (and probably also less than Infinity War.) This doesn't mean I think it will do poorly because I don't, but reflects the incredible and unique achievements of that pair of films and how difficult it is for a "regular" MCU title to get quite that high. Therefore, by putting Black Widow in May and going to a week later than they had been using for the last two years, it makes it more difficult for box office people to make a one-to-one comparison because the release pattern has been adjusted.

If they put Black Widow on the same end of April weekend as Endgame used, the headline would be "Black Widow Opens Below Endgame" comparing the year-ago frame. By putting Black Widow in May, it becomes more challenging to use that as a comp and suggests using the other Marvel titles that did launch in May as comps instead because they have a more similar release pattern.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I'm thinking that this movie will both wrap up Natasha's story so her death in Endgame feels less unsatisfying, and pass the torch to Yelena so that they can have Florence Pugh as Black Widow for the next few phases of the MCU.

If I had to guess, it will cover a long period of time -- from before the events of Iron Man 2 right up through the five-year Blip between Infinity War and Endgame.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I read that David Harbour said on stage yesterday that the movie takes place after Civil War.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Concept art of Black Widow and the Taskmaster:

[​IMG]

Jake Lipson and Sean Bryan like this.
  10. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean

Jake Lipson likes this.