What's new

Disney+ Black Widow (2021) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I could see that happening, but if they don't find some way to address the "Budapest story" they've referenced so many times----and why Nat felt like she had so much "red in her ledger" that she sacrificed herself in Endgame to correct----I'll be seriously disappointed.

There are reports that filming will happen in Budapest.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Official Logo:
BlackWidow_001.jpg

Confirming what we already knew: Scarlett Johansson reprises the title role. Florence Pugh is playing Yelena Belova, the second Black Widow. David Harbour is playing Alexi Shostakov. Rachel Weisz and O-T Fagbenle also star. Taskmaster is the villain. Cate Shortland is directing. Natasha goes to Budapest.

In theaters May 1, 2020.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It's interesting that they are keeping the May 1 date and not moving it a week earlier like they did for Infinity War and Endgame.

I think that the significance of those movies, and the potential spoiler factors involved, lead to the release date being moved up to match the earlier oversees date. But for most “normal” MCU movies, I think they will return to the more traditional release dates.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, obviously the spoiler factor won't be quite as big of a deal on Black Widow -- where, let's face it, we all already watched her die anyway, so we know how her story ends -- as it was on Infinity War and Endgame. However, they found a release date that worked very well and effectively expanded the "big" moviegoing season by a week, so there could be an argument to be made for making the late April date the new normal.

On the other hand, Black Widow will obviously make less in its domestic run than Endgame (and probably also less than Infinity War.) This doesn't mean I think it will do poorly because I don't, but reflects the incredible and unique achievements of that pair of films and how difficult it is for a "regular" MCU title to get quite that high. Therefore, by putting Black Widow in May and going to a week later than they had been using for the last two years, it makes it more difficult for box office people to make a one-to-one comparison because the release pattern has been adjusted.

If they put Black Widow on the same end of April weekend as Endgame used, the headline would be "Black Widow Opens Below Endgame" comparing the year-ago frame. By putting Black Widow in May, it becomes more challenging to use that as a comp and suggests using the other Marvel titles that did launch in May as comps instead because they have a more similar release pattern.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking that this movie will both wrap up Natasha's story so her death in Endgame feels less unsatisfying, and pass the torch to Yelena so that they can have Florence Pugh as Black Widow for the next few phases of the MCU.

If I had to guess, it will cover a long period of time -- from before the events of Iron Man 2 right up through the five-year Blip between Infinity War and Endgame.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If I had to guess, it will cover a long period of time -- from before the events of Iron Man 2 right up through the five-year Blip between Infinity War and Endgame.

I read that David Harbour said on stage yesterday that the movie takes place after Civil War.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting poster. Given that the whole movie supposedly takes place prior to Infinity War, I didn't expect a radically different costume like that.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
With regard to the RDJ rumor circulating:
Apparently a good chunk of the film is set around the time of Captain America: Civil War and the scene featuring Robert Downey Jr. was actually cut out of that film because it didn't service Cap's story, but has more relevance to Natasha's story here. So RDJ is in the movie, but he didn't film any new scenes.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Curious to see this. Not nearly as strongly as how I felt in the buildup to Infinity War or Endgame, obviously, but curious enough to see this missing chapter in an OG Avenger's life.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yawn. Considering Black Widow was my least favorite character( by a large margin) of the Avengers I might skip it..depending on the reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks