What's new

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 Will Not Support Xbox Live (1 Viewer)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
That drops it from a marginal purchase to something I might fish out of the bargain bin down the road. Oh well.

Damien

Supporting Actor
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
this is bullshit, you never forgo a job until it's finished. They have nerve pushing it back and then yanking it back.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno how much you guys have played that game, but as a competition piece, it's utterly worthless. Large numbers of characters have infinite combos and loads of lovely glitches that will have you pulling your hair out in no time.

It's better off not being on Xbox Live.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Makes it very easy for me to continue playing the very excellent Dreamcast version of the game and foregoing the Xbox version totally. Unfortunate to say the least as Capcom VS SNK 2 is just not appealing enough to me to purchase, though I would have been all over an Xbox Live enabled version of MVC2.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I dunno how much you guys have played that game, but as a competition piece, it's utterly worthless.
I think fighting games are most fun when two players are competing, and XBox Live functionality would've enabled me to play against more people than just my roommate, who doesn't really care for fighting games in the first place. :)

I played MvC2 pretty frequently in the arcade and thought it was a blast, but it was definitely firmly entrenched in button masher territory.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
I agree--they are far and away more fun in 2 player mode. But MVC2 is a spam-fest that isn't fun for exactly the reasons I noted.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
But MVC2 is a spam-fest that isn't fun for exactly the reasons I noted
Well that is of course subjective Eric. I've had a blast playing two player games with a bunch of buddies. There are some big balance issues with particular characters and newbies can get away with a bit of button mashing but I still find it to be quite fun. (much moreso than Capcom Vs SNK 2 which I just never could get much into). Live compatibility would have at least IMO been a great addition to the game.

Parker

Agent
would have been a great addition? I'm sure that's the reason 90% of X-Box owners were going to get this. They're going to lose most of their sales because of this. There is nothing to keep me from buying the PS2 or DC version cheaper- I can have just as much fun not playing online with those versions.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I was waiting for the XBOX version for the online. Now I might as well buy the PS2 version.
Let me guess...... XBOX is pulling the 480p to huh?
lol

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
This reminds me of Konami and MGS:Substance. They release a crappy version/port of the game, it doesn't sell, and they decide not to produce more for Xbox because it "deosn't sell".

I don't think the Japanese developers get it just yet. We have Halo, Mechassault, Splinter Cell, Deathrow over here guys. The bar has been raised by certain Xbox games; half finished software and lackluster ports just don't cut it in the USA any more. Unless you have something as smooth as Halo 2 in the wings, don't expect a free ride anymore.

PS - I like Japanese developed games, I really do. Just that lately it seems like the best games are increasingly coming from western developers (Bioware, UBI soft, Bungie, etc.) The ones that really push the envelope. Smilebit seems to be the one major exception with their Xbox titles.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
All this proves is that Xbox continues to be irrelevant in Japan and to Japanese developers. Simple as that. Will they come around? Maybe. Will Xbox Lite help? Perhaps.

In the meantime, don't expect anything great from them for Xbox. It's like it's a new wound for your guys every time. You get your hopes up and then bitch about Konami and MGS Substance AGAIN. Stop the hurt and enjoy your good Western games on your Xbox, and enjoy your good Japanese games on your PS2 and Gamecube.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

If all you intend to do is play within your circle of friends online, I agree. Otherwise, there is nothing "subjective" about my comments: at a slightly better than average level of play, MVC2 degenerates into a spam-fest with infinite combos, glitches, etc--anybody that walks into that game and intends to win as a "button masher" would have their asses handed to them. If the game was online, I could demonstrate that for you in short order ;)

I, for one, don't have much interest in a game with balance issues as grievous as this one (on a mutli-player level), but YMMV if you can get past being brutalized by raw cheese...

{note: I do love the game, but only as a one-player, non-competition-based, non-stat-tracking, affair)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Just cause you suck, Eric, doesn't mean the game shouldn't come out. :)

Just kidding, of course.

But you bring up an interesting issue. I remember when I first tried Quake 3 Arena, I realized how bad I suck at FPSs. I decided I hated the game.

Will online gaming turn people off eventually because of issues like this? Will the poor performers stick to single-player games?

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
That's my point, Josh: I think a lot of people would be very quickly turned off by the ridiculous nonsense that's possible in the game. Once everyone figured out some of hte inifinites (and thanks to Internet message boards and GameFAQs it wouldn't take long), the game would be virtually unplayable in any meaningful way.

Thanks, but I'll stick to CVS2 which, while enjoying its own set of aggravating balance problems, is orders of magnitude more tightly put together then MVC2 :)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Josh --

Totally agreed. I think there is a nice big rift growing between the USA gamer and the Japanese gamer. We go nuts for GTA Vice City and FPS games, they couldn't care less. We crawl all over ourselves to play real opponents online in Counterstrike, they mostly don't see the thrill. They like to play dating simulators and such, we really don't see the point. Some games translate well across cultural boundaries, many do not.

I think a case in point here is Halo. It has to be responsible for 30-60% of Xbox sales in the USA, it is just a sublime FPS. Not sure, but I don't think it sells well in Japan. Why not? I couldn't tell you, they just don't care for FPS games...

So you're right, screw 'em. Buy the Japanese games you like, buy the Western games you like, leave the rest behind.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
If the game was online, I could demonstrate that for you in short order
Now see if the game were actually online Eric I'd be more than happy to take you up on that offer:D. Unfortunately we'll be stuck talking trash on the HTF until then.;)

Of course the world would be a wonderful place if we simply had Guily Gear X2 to play online.:emoji_thumbsup: Or even better if Sega would get intelligent and add an online component to Virtua Fighter 4 but I'll just have to keep on dreaming until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks