What's new

Marvel TV ABC/Netflix on blu/DVD ? (1 Viewer)

Would you be willing to support these releases if they were released on blu ray?

• Yes

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Marvel shows on ABC and Netflix are excellent. Well worth the effort IMO to get them released. Jessica Jones won a Peabody Award, for cryin' out loud.

Warner Bros. announced blu-rays and DVDs of their shows last fall when the new seasons started, letting fans know they were coming. Those sets started coming out (one per week) in early August and will continue until early September.(Supergirl/Gotham/Legends of Tomorrow/Arrow/Flash.)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
The Marvel shows on ABC and Netflix are excellent. Well worth the effort IMO to get them released. Jessica Jones won a Peabody Award, for cryin' out loud.

I know!

Warner Bros. announced blu-rays and DVDs of their shows last fall when the new seasons started, letting fans know they were coming. Those sets started coming out (one per week) in early August and will continue until early September.(Supergirl/Gotham/Legends of Tomorrow/Arrow/Flash.)
and from tvshowsondvd and a thread on here earlier this year ABC announced the date that all these shows were going to get a release, Blackish, Murder, and a couple of others, but the two marvel titles were not listed. WB came right out and gave a date, and what was being released and when, and you know what, I have everyone that has been releases and am waiting on the others.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
well, i can understand, some of that, physical media is not dying, its just the the content producers are less willing to support it, so they push it to Netflix, or you can "purchase a download" from amazon or iTunes, just so Disney or whoever understands, if that is the way forward of doing business, then we (myself) are no longer doing business, i don't want a stream or a download, no physical copy, no sale!!!

Physical media is definitely what I want. If that's impossible, a purchased download (not stream) is the next best thing... at least that way I have the copy to watch on my own terms and it can't be taken away from me (although Apple believes they own everything they sell you even after you have it on your hard drive).

Downloads will go away too, eventually. The content corporations don't want you to own anything... they want 100% control over their property, and they want you to have to pay again every time you watch it. (Or at least pay an ongoing subscription fee to access it.) The concept of having a TV show that you can watch anytime you want, anywhere you want, forever, is going away I'm afraid. Piracy and torrenting will thrive for a while because of this, but eventually the corporations will lobby the government and collude with the cable companies to make that untenable.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Downloads will go away too, eventually. The content corporations don't want you to own anything... they want 100% control over their property, and they want you to have to pay again every time you watch it. (Or at least pay an ongoing subscription fee to access it.) The concept of having a TV show that you can watch anytime you want, anywhere you want, forever, is going away I'm afraid. Piracy and torrenting will thrive for a while because of this, but eventually the corporations will lobby the government and collude with the cable companies to make that untenable.

This is something I have read about since VHS back in the day and yet they keep coming out with newer formats to sell their medium to us. If they dont want to sell their product to us then why are they selling their product to us? The studios are not forced to do so and yet they still take our billions of dollars each year that consumers purchase via sell thru. Hollywood knows one language $$$$ and sell thru, both physical and the still growing digital in 2016 make billions of dollars. Will digital downloads go away some day? Maybe but so will streaming for the next best technological thing. Most products on the market have a sell thru and rental element. Video, books and music are no different. The pendulum of popularity swings both ways but choice is what the consumer wants.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
The studios have done this to themselves to an extent, what was the adage that was used on the Sopranos’ during the depression every business except theirs and certain parts of the entertainment industry lost money. Well they own it now! They continually have to look at the bottom line, could be why the studios don’t operate like they used to, and take the gamble of making something too original. The main goal is the revenues that they can recoup because investors do wonder where their dividends are quarterly. This ultimately being Disney, explains the needs to continue to turn a profit. But it has not been across the board in the way they handle their releases. Release a title in the theaters in 3D , in the United States but with the exception of the Marvel films, most of the Disney Blu ray releases in the US remain 3D free; so you have to import. Which is odd looking at some of the prior releases that had 3D support overseas, but not here. What did Disney really think they couldn’t sell a copy of Frozen if it was 3D compatible in the United States? Well mine has the ugly UK markings all over it, and my granddaughters and wife loves it.

upload_2016-8-26_12-29-11.png

Had to add that little picture, just to drive home a point, read close, they don’t want you to import or export it. But then fail to release the title in the country it was produced, filmed, originally aired, and has ties to one of the biggest tent poles that the studio has, and complain about losing viewers, or stating that the show isn’t doing well, I will let them know the reason for all of that, its you the content provider, not providing the content where you have the largest base. If all three titles would have been mentioned at SDCC and announced as Amazon exclusives, the forums would have been abuzz. Instead we have a wait and see situation. I like all three programs and at this point am invested in the characters, But I will not purchase a download, like I stated before physical copy is a must, if they want to include a digital one as well, that is fine.

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-26_12-28-18.png
    upload_2016-8-26_12-28-18.png
    475.5 KB · Views: 87

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
constantine-poster-600x818.jpg

hey Marvel did either show AOS or AC get lower ratings than this, and its still getting a release. might want to rethink how you treat you fans and your television properties releases in the States.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
constantine-poster-600x818.jpg

hey Marvel did either show AOS or AC get lower ratings than this, and its still getting a release. might want to rethink how you treat you fans and your television properties releases in the States.

Eh, bad example, IMO.

It's like saying "Why is Pete Kelly's Blues out on Blu-Ray when True Lies still isn't?!?"

Two different companies, two different sales models.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I believe the reason Shield and Carter's latest seasons haven't been released is because of the streaming deal with Netflix. (I know Agent Carter isn't streaming, but its DVD releases have been tied to Shield's.)

Of course, I don't really know, since Marvel is so frustratingly tight-lipped about their plans!

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
true, i know that they have the Netflix deal, now, got home late from work and saw what WB was doing with the other show,
Eh, bad example, IMO.

It's like saying "Why is Pete Kelly's Blues out on Blu-Ray when True Lies still isn't?!?"

Two different companies, two different sales models.

i can see where you would think that, you didn't have my Mom, who had no problem shaming or using guilt to drive home a point.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
What would you think of contacting a major publication like Entertainment Weekly, and asking if they can find out what's going on, whether we'll ever see these titles on blu-ray or not? If EW's contacts won't talk, no one will.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
want to give it a shot, i know almost everything has been done, online petitions, and such, was kind of expecting that anouncement at SDCC, that never happened. maybe EW can get something out of them?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I don't even know if they want to air Agents of Shield anymore. They moved it to Tuesdays at 10. This is not good.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Jessica Jones Season 1 is coming to blu-ray... in AUSTRALIA.

Release date is Dec. 7, 2016.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv...sale/tv-action/jessica-jones-season-1/314780/

The listing says it's Region B (unlike the UK Daredevil season 1 BDs which specifically say are Region Free). It's listed as a Marvel Studios release, so it's not a bootleg. Daredevil Season 1 is also listed on the site for the same date.

I've checked Amazon UK, but no listing for JJ, at least not yet.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The following is just a bit of speculation on my part.

Could it be that one reason so many shows that aren't getting physical release in the U.S, yet are getting them overseas, is for the simple reason the latter aren't generally as equipped for accepting Digital Download releases? Hell, Canada is right next door, and yet we still can't access many of the Digital Download / Streaming venues that many Americans have come to take for granted! It would seem Canadians have the worst of both worlds in this respect!

My point is the outside the U.S. markets are still largely better geared towards accepting the release of physical media, which may be one reason why it sometimes appears that ONLY the non physical options are being rammed down domestic (U.S.) throats, so to speak!

The 3-D situation, I have no theory for, as that appears to defy all logic.

CHEERS! :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Anyone going to NY Comic Con, that can ask the question in a room full of people,

New York Comic Con 2016 begins on
Thursday, October 6
and ends on
Sunday, October 9
Jeph Loeb, is supposed to be in attendance,

Marvel Television Presents: Marvel's Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D: Ghost Rider Friday, October 7 – 7:30 PM to 8:45 PM – Main Stage

Join Executive Producer Jeph Loeb (Marvel's Head of TV) and cast members as they share secrets from the hot new season and be the first to see an all-new episode of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
^ That's a great idea, and hopefully someone will ask. (Does Loeb ever do Q&As online?) I am not attending, but I hope someone will ask the question.

Barring any mention at the convention, the question becomes: How does one get a message to Jeph Loeb?

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
don't know, cant find an contact email, or it would have been already sent

and ifugure if they do allow questions, don't you think a room full of people there for SHIELD would be behind that kind of question!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Agent Carter Complete Second Season is coming to the UK DVD, blu and a zavvi steelbook, all with a release date of Dec 5, these are showing on amazon as well, and says reigon free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks