1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Plans Loki, Scarlet Witch Shows for Disney Streaming

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Favate, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I do question Disney for bringing this show out next August (2020) however. There's not much new television in August, mainly because a lot of people are on vacation. August is a huge month for vacation time. Around here, the courts practically shut down in August, since so many are away. Also, August is a big back-to-school month, with kids returning to college campuses around the country (and the world) and younger kids in many areas starting school before Labor Day.

Two years ago, Netflix premiered Marvel's The Defenders in August. Despite mildly positive reviews, the show was considered a failure. Some of the sites that track these things said Netflix measures, among other things, Internet chatter about a show (Twitter, primarily) and found it lacking for Defenders. It wasn't long after that a second season was put in doubt (this was before we knew the Netflix shows would be cancelled) and Marvel TV honcho Jeph Loeb said the Defenders series was a one-off. In any case, I firmly believe that if the show had premiered in September or October, it would have been more well received.

Let's also remember the words of former White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card (a guy I never liked) who famously said (about making the case for a war with Iraq) "From a marketing point of view, you don't introduce new products in August."

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Both series officially confirmed by Marvel Studios.
    WandaVision_001.
    "WandaVision" will be coming to Disney+ Spring 2021. It stars Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany and Teyonah Parris. Olsen and Bettany are reprising their roles from the feature films. Parris is playing the adult version of Monica Rambeau, played by Akira Akbar in the nineties-set Captain Marvel. It takes place post-Infinity War/Endgame and leads directly into the Doctor Strange sequel.

Loki_001.
    "Loki" will also be coming to Disney+ Spring 2021. It stars Tom Hiddleston, playing the Loki that escaped from the 2012 reality in Endgame.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

More info on both shows from Disney+ Presentation at D23 tonight.

Official confirmation that the title character in "Loki" is the version of the character from the 2012 reality who used the space stone to escape. The series will deal with questions of redemption. Kate Herron ("Sex Education") will serve as the producing director while Michael Waldron ("HarmonQuest") will serve as head writer.

Meanwhile, we learned that "WandaVision" will begin with Wanda Maximoff and Vision living ideal suburban lives, who slowly begin to suspect that everything is not as it seems. The parts of the show set in the suburban environment will adopt the style of sitcoms from the fifties and sixties. Kat Dennings will reprise her role as Darcy Lewis from the Thor movies, while Randall Park will reprise his role as FBI Special Agent Jimmy Woo from Ant-Man and the Wasp. Kathryn Hahn will be playing a new character. Matt Shakman ("It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", "Game of Thrones") will serve as producing director while Jac Schaeffer (The Hustle, Black Widow) will serve as head writer.

4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m really glad they’ve allowed “our Loki” to have a complete character arc, but are also able to use an unreformed and potentially more fun version of the character in the series. That’s some good multi-versing right there.

5. Message #65 of 81 Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The existence of this project still confuses me. Of course everything is not as it seems. We the audience know that Wanda lives in the present day MCU timeline 2023 (2024 if you include Far From Home, which she wasn't in but in which she is presumably alive during) and we also know that Vision died in Infinity War in 2018. They've either got to contradict that canon; set it in a different timeline; or put the audience significantly ahead of the characters in suspecting that this is a construct of Wanda's mind (which would explain the title.) My first impression is that I really don't like any of those options.

Of course, I'm going to watch it and I hope I am wrong and it is terrific. But Endgame gave both the Loki show and the Falcon/Winter Soldier one a much more sensible and strong launching pad than they did for this show. We'll see what happens.

6. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It’s been announced the series leads directly into Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness, a title which suggests a possible answer to that question.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I'm actually probably most excited about "WandaVision" because it sounds really out there and experimental and weird in a way that Marvel Studios hasn't been in recent years.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

D23 Poster:
    WandaVision_002.
    (pay attention to the shadows)

Jake Lipson and Sean Bryan like this.
  9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Disney Plus has announced today in a Twitter video about their 2020 slate that WandaVision will be coming this year.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/wandavision-release-date-disney-plus-2020-1203454701/

At Comic-Con, Kevin Feige had said spring 2021. If it's going to be done earlier, I think releasing it this year will be better. Because we know that Wanda will appear in the Doctor Strange sequel following the show,, this will give fans more time to watch the show in its entirety before the movie comes out in May 2021.

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Yes, I think having it in 2020 is a good idea. First, 2020 only has three Marvel projects: Black Widow, The Falcon & The Winter Soldier, and The Eternals. Four if you count WandaVision.

2021 has four films: Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange 2, Spider-Man 3, and Thor: Love and Thunder. 2021 also has several Disney+ series, some confirmed, others strongly believed to be airing in 2021: Loki, Hawkeye, What If, Ms Marvel, Moon Knight, She-Hulk.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  12. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The only potential downside I see is that it’s been said that WandaVision leads directly into Doctor Strange, and if that’s the case, it would have been a smoother experience for the viewer to have that finale put out in the days leading up to the movie.

13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I get what you're saying here, but I disagree with it. If you want to watch the WandaVision finale in the days leading up to Doctor Strange, it will still be there. But I like the idea of the show coming out first because it gives us more time to watch the show on our own schedule, rather than having to cram it all in right before the movie comes out. If Marvel expects the events of WandaVision to be known information before you see Doctor Strange, then the more time they can give people to experience the show first, the better. They don't want anyone to stay home from opening weekend of Doctor Strange because "Oops, I forgot to finish WandaVision first."

Sean Bryan likes this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Not everyone who sees a Doctor Strange will watch the show anyway, so I don’t see the point in catering to those people who won’t be part of the show’s audience anyway.

If SHIELD could time an episode to go before and then after Winter Soldier, having WandaVision in the same calendar year as Doctor Strange does not seem like a high bar to clear.

15. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Feige and his team have built up so much good will that I trust everything will work out (content, timing, etc).

16. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
  17. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Wilson is a relatively big name to appear on a streaming show. It's particularly ironic that this should be announced today because Disney+ just debuted Lamp Life, the spinoff short of Toy Story 4, in which they couldn't be bothered to pay for Tom Hanks to appear as Woody and used a less-expensive relative of his. But they're paying Owen Wilson's fee for several episodes of Loki.

18. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Wow! I expected footage from "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" but not "WandaVision" and "Loki"!

20. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson