What's new

Marvel Cinematic Universe on Disney+ - General Discussion (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Variety reports that Marvel will produce shows for Disney's new streaming service. One will feature Tom Hiddleston as Loki and another will have Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch. There will be others too. Each series is expected to have 6 to 8 episodes.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/...s-marvel-disney-streaming-service-1202947551/

I think this is a great idea and is sure to spark a lot of signups to the Disney service, which will also include the new Star Wars TV show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'd definitely watch a "Scarlet Witch" series, though I'm surprised Elizabeth Olsen would want to take the downgrade in status for that character.

On the other hand, if I were Netflix I'd be pissed since they're only allowed access to the second-tier characters (except for Daredevil).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This seems like it could be really cool. I’d definitely love to see more of Wanda Maximoff.

The Loki series could be REALLY interesting. Obviously the big question is would this be exploring his character before or in between the existing movies or would this be post Infinity War? I’d be surprised if it were the latter because I think he is not coming back, but who knows?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sean, your signature reminds me: This could be the way we get Season 3 of Agent Carter.

Remember, Marvel said they didn't want to cancel it, and all they needed was a network.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Will be interesting to see what all Disney has up their sleeves for their streaming service.

I'm starting to get burned out on the whole super hero overload so not sure if I'll catch these but it's nice that I won't have to go pay $10 to go to a theater to see every new twist in the Marvel world.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Sean, your signature reminds me: This could be the way we get Season 3 of Agent Carter.

Remember, Marvel said they didn't want to cancel it, and all they needed was a network.

That would be great! Fingers crossed.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This sounds incredibly promising. This is what I've wanted from a TV division of Marvel since they started making TV.

I had a hard time getting into Daredevil and didn't continue with it, and I never watched any of the other Marvel Netflix shows. The biggest obstacle for me was that I just wasn't as interested in following the stories of a bunch of new characters unrelated to the movie world that I had grown invested in. I acknowledge that they take place in the same "universe" but the events of Daredevil, for instance, have no impact on the events in Infinity War. The Netflix shows are in their own corner of the world, and I'm sure they're a lot of fun for people who are interested in that.

But for me... I'm interested in the movie characters. There are so many great characters in the films that play smaller roles, that I wouldn't necessarily want to see a whole feature built around, but who I'd like to spend more time with. I'm also interested in finding out more about what happens to these characters in between the films.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
The problem with Marvel TV has been that it is a completely separate division of the company. I hesitate to say that they have lesser talent, because they have been using a lot of the writers that I enjoyed on Joss Whedon's early shows (although they do use a lot of the "Whedon-lite" writers as well). I suppose they just don't have the same kind of oversight, partly due to the faster pace of production, and partly due to the fact that whoever heads up Marvel TV isn't Kevin Feige.

It's gotten to the point that I stopped including the TV shows in the ongoing chronology I've been keeping track of, because it's easier to treat it like an alternate universe. It's not so much that there's just too much TV, but it doesn't fit all that neatly. Heck, even the second season of Daredevil couldn't decide what part of the year it was taking place in (starts off with a massive heatwave, and ends at Christmas, with a mostly continuous string of events).

And where SHIELD finally lost me was trying to up the stakes by saying it was the characters on SHIELD that were responsible for Earth blowing up in the future, yet don't even hint about the Avengers.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think Marvel TV has been great. I have enjoyed all of the Netflix shows, which I look forward to with great anticipation each time, and I love Agents of Shield and Agent Carter (which I hope is brought back). Yes, the Inhumans was lacking, but that's about the only miss I see.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
More details coming about the Marvel shows for the Disney streaming service:

Disney is developing a Falcon/Winter Soldier show.

The Vision is said to be a big part of the previously mentioned Scarlet Witch show.

A Nick Fury show has been rumored, although a source closer to Disney said the show is "bigger than Nick Fury," whatever that means.

A Hawkeye show is also rumored, possibly with Clint Barton training a young, female protege.

It looks at least like we have an idea of what the first four shows will look like.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A Nick Fury show has been rumored, although a source closer to Disney said the show is "bigger than Nick Fury," whatever that means.

Wouldn't that effectively be a SHIELD show? Which Marvel TV has already been doing for five seasons without the budget or benefit of being able to consistently use the film actors that these streaming shows will have.

If the movies are top-tier, and the Disney streaming service shows which Feige's team will run are second-tier, this will effectively knock Marvel's existing TV division down to third-tier in the MCU and probably further erode any loose connections to the MCU that they already have.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
On the other hand, perhaps with this new model they will have a chance at actually attracting audience numbers that approach what the films manage. I've had little interest in the Netflix Marvel shows because they don't really connect to the theatrical MCU, which leaves me less motivated to watch this content. But if they take characters and stories that I'm already invested in and tell them on this streaming platform, that changes everything for me and suddenly I'm interested.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Oh for sure. The difference of course is that Kevin Feige and the Marvel Studios team are doing these new shows. I just mean that thee developments are likely to make the remaining shows being produced by Marvel TV even more irrelevant than they already are, so Marvel TV kind of gets a raw deal out of this. But I agree I'm interested in these, which is more than I can say for any Marvel TV project to date.

The Disney streaming service is a question mark for me, because I already own so many of their films, and I have no plans to stop buying them, so I'm not sure if I should really subscribe to a streaming service that will feature a huge amount of library content that I own. The quality of the original programming is going to be a large part of the appeal for me, and with these shows I would at least heavily consider it.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
The Disney streaming service is a question mark for me, because I already own so many of their films, and I have no plans to stop buying them, so I'm not sure if I should really subscribe to a streaming service that will feature a huge amount of library content that I own. The quality of the original programming is going to be a large part of the appeal for me, and with these shows I would at least heavily consider it.

I guess the best way to look at it is to act like it's 1992 and you're considering subscribing to the premium Disney Channel.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I imagine I’ll do what I do with CBS All Access for Star Trek Discovery (or with Showtime for Twin Peaks: The Return) - I’ll subscribe when there’s new content I’m interested in viewing and then cancel at the end of the season.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm not sure if I should really subscribe to a streaming service that will feature a huge amount of library content that I own. The quality of the original programming is going to be a large part of the appeal for me, and with these shows I would at least heavily consider it.

For me, the quality of original programming is the main reason to consider subscribing to any streaming service as I prefer to own physical copies of movies.

With the original shows they are planing for Disney+, I’ll definitely be subscribing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Marvel has hired Captain Marvel screenwriter Jac Schaeffer to write the pilot for "Vision and Scarlet Witch", and serve as showrunner if it gets picked up to series.

In addition to her contributions to Captain Marvel, she also wrote the screenplay for Cate Shortland's upcoming Black Widow standalone movie,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks