What's new

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 2 General Discussion (Spoilers discussed for All Films -- Please Read First Post) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not record-breaking in terms of number of involved parties by any means, but a crisscross you wouldn't expect: Chris Pratt and Emily VanCamp (Sharon Carter) both got their big break from The WB's Everwood (2002-6) where they played siblings. They both entered the MCU in the same year, with Guardians and Winter Soldier, respectively.

I knew it wouldn't happen and was never a realistic thing to expect -- but as a huge Everwood fan, in my heart of hearts, I totally wanted Infinity War or Endgame to find a reason to give Peter and Sharon a scene together, just so I could watch an on-screen reunion between the two of them. I wanted this as desperately as anything that either of those movies actually delivered.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not record-breaking in terms of number of involved parties by any means, but a crisscross you wouldn't expect: Chris Pratt and Emily VanCamp (Sharon Carter) both got their big break from The WB's Everwood (2002-6) where they played siblings. They both entered the MCU in the same year, with Guardians and Winter Soldier, respectively.

I knew it wouldn't happen and was never a realistic thing to expect -- but as a huge Everwood fan, in my heart of hearts, I totally wanted Infinity War or Endgame to find a reason to give Peter and Sharon a scene together, just so I could watch an on-screen reunion between the two of them. I wanted this as desperately as anything that either of those movies actually delivered.

Any more Sharon Carter would be a good thing.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Watching The Martian on TV at the moment... it has 6 actors from the MCU!

Damon
Stan
Pena
Ejiofor
Wong
Glover

Probably the non-MCU film with the most MCU actors so far?
Actually 7. Kate Mara has a small part as a Marshall in Iron Man 2.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s not going to break the MCU record, but Paramount’s “Wonder Boys” from 2000 has a high number of future tentpole stars:

-Michael Douglas (Ant-Man)
-Tobey Maguire (Spider-Man)
-Robert Downey Jr (Iron Man)
-Katie Holmes (Batman Begins)
-Frances McDormand (Transformers)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Checked online, and The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies also has 7:

Richard Armitage
Martin Freeman
Lee Pace
Evangeline Lilly
Benedict Cumberbatch
Cate Blanchett
Hugo Weaving

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Checked online, and The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies also has 7:

Richard Armitage
Martin Freeman
Lee Pace
Evangeline Lilly
Benedict Cumberbatch
Cate Blanchett
Hugo Weaving

Nice!! Armitage was the guy who shoots Stanley Tucci's character! I thought he looked familiar.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Was hoping for a potential future scene in the MCU (would have been difficult plot-wise, yes) where RDJ, Jude Law, Freeman, & Cumberbatch run across each other and eye each other with sly suspicion...

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the given majority of American actors and a number of British actors, Aussies have also had prominent roles in the MCU.

Hemsworth (of course) and 4 main "villains" (Weaving, Pearce, Blanchett, Mendelsohn).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Turns out The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey also has 7:

Richard Armitage
Martin Freeman
Lee Pace
Andy Serkis
Benedict Cumberbatch
Cate Blanchett
Hugo Weaving

Five Armies has two actors who are title characters (Wasp and Dr Strange) as does Heart of the Sea (Thor & Spider Man) and Scott Pilgrim (Captain America and Captain Marvel). I couldn't find any movie with 3 such actors. When the Black Widow movie comes out, Scarlett Johansson will have two such movies, Chef (with RDJ) and Isle of Dogs (with Edward Norton).

Kong: Skull Island has 4 from the MCU:

Larson
Hiddleston
Jackson
Reilly
Corey Hawkins has a bit part in Iron Man 3

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On a much more positive note, Robert Downy, Jr. is being named a Disney Legend at D23 in August.

https://d23.com/2019-disney-legends/

Also technically in the MCU, Ming-Na Wen from Agents of SHIELD (although I think most Disney fans will remember her first as the speaking voice of Mulan.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Kevin Feige did a Reddit “Ask Me Anything” Q&A. He had quite a few interesting comments, and I’ll post a few here.

When asked if the Hulk brought everyone back to a safe place throughout the world (and Universe), Feige says: "We refer to the version of Hulk in Endgame as Smart Hulk. So, yes."

When asked if Cap was always worthy of wielding Mjolnir, he agrees with those that think he was faking in “Ultron”. "We think he was always worthy and was being polite in Age of Ultron."

Does Feige have a favourite moment in the MCU? It turns out that he does (sort of) as he told one fan that, "There are too many to list, but I will say my entire MCU career was building up to that "on your left" moment in Endgame."

Feige discussed Mark Ruffalo’s suggestions when they met to discuss the character's three-story arc across Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame.

"He pitched a lot of cool ideas, some of which led to what you saw in Thor: Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgame, and some of which would still be cool to see someday," he teased, seemingly confirming a future for the Jade Giant in the MCU moving forward.

In recent weeks, the Russo Brothers have said that Captain America lived his life out in an alternate timeline before returning to the main one, while the writers claim he went back in time and fathered Peggy Carter's children in the world we know of. When asked if he can provide a definitive answer about what happened, all Feige would give was a simple "Yes."

Definitely feels like we're getting another Captain America adventure in the MCU... Fingers crossed!!

He indicated that there are some characters he can't wait to get his hands on now that the Fox acquisition is complete. "I never play favorites, but there are many Marvel characters that I've loved for many years that are heading to the MCU soon, but I can't be more specific than that."

As for what he has planned moving forward, he teased: "We usually work with a specific 5 year plan at any given point but often have a general plan that extends much, much further."

He provided some insight into what's made the MCU so successful.
  • "Respect the source material."
  • "Hire passionate filmmakers regardless of how much money their last movie made."
  • "Hire the best cast regardless of their current marquee value."

There have been rumors that Shang-Chi will find a way to incorporate The Mandarin (the real one) and the Ten Rings. Asked if there are plans in place for either of those to be touched on in the MCU moving forward after the Iron Man franchise failed to really delve into it, all Kevin Feige would say is "Yes."

When asked about the Marvel One-Shots, Feige talked about how much he enjoyed fleshing out other characters and added that, "It's tremendously exciting that we now have Disney+ series where we get to do that on a grand scale with many of the characters you know and love."

He also assured fans that the Disney+ TV shows will be set firmly in the MCU, linking up to what we see on the big screen in the process

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
He also assured fans that the Disney+ TV shows will be set firmly in the MCU, linking up to what we see on the big screen in the process

I’m an interview filled with good news, that might be the best. I’ve long had trouble getting into Marvel TV because there just seemed no stakes or urgency in watching it, because it had no impact on the MCU that attracted me to this iteration of Marvel in the first place. I look forward to seeing what they’re cooking up for Disney+.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

While in one respect, that's extremely exciting, I hope they don't overdo it. Following an ongoing film series like this is already a big commitment. It's one I'm happy to make as long as the quality continues to be this good, but it is a big commitment. Asking people to also watch a bunch of TV shows enlarges that commitment substantially. While I have no problem with the idea that the TV shows exist in the same universe and feature characters that we know, I do think there is a responsibility for the films to continue to be stories that fully make sense whether you've seen the TV shows or not. Everyone who goes to the movie theater for a Marvel movie shouldn't be expected to have a Disney+ subscription or else it won't make sense.

The biggest issue I had with Solo was the surprise cameo at the end because it made no sense within the continuity of the films. You had to watch the TV series to understand how it was even possible, and if you didn't, you'd be left scratching your head in confusion. That should not happen with the MCU, especially when the audience for the MCU films is so huge. They don't want to alienate viewers who aren't caught up with the TV side. I don't have a problem with the idea that they want to embrace storytelling from the TV shows, but it needs to be executed carefully so that the major beats of the movies still work with or without being aware of the TV show too.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Today's Honest Trailer -- their 300th -- is for the entire MCU (except for Endgame since they're not allowed to use footage of it until the Blu-ray comes out.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks