1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe (Spoilers discussed for All Films -- Please Read First Post)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Josh Dial, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The thing about Avatar is that 90 percent of what's on the screen is CG. So they could recompose the film in post for both aspect ratios.

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m five minutes into Doctor Strange and I’m already reminded of how much Michael Giacchino rips off from his own Star Trek scores here.

3. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Now watching Thor Ragnarok. It’s a movie I only liked the first time I saw it, but now I love it more each time I see it. I’m at the part where Thor returns to Asgard and they’re doing the play of Loki’s “death” from Dark World. I love that the play’s choir is singing the score from that scene in that movie. It’s the little details like that that make Ragnarok so much fun to revisit.

holtge and dpippel like this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I hit a small snag in my rewatch plan. I was counting on watching Doctor Strange on Netflix, but when I sat down to watch it 15 minutes ago it was nowhere to be found. A quick Google search revealed that it rolled off of the service back in November.

I've got the Blu-Ray reserved at a nearby Redbox for pickup tomorrow.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure Netflix's window on all the recent theatrical releases from Disney is for 18 months. Now that Disney has that one back, Doctor Strange will probably be available on Disney+ at launch.

What will be odd for Disney is that they still have a few titles left for which the Netflix window is still open. For example, Ant-Man and the Wasp (plus Incredibles 2 and Solo) are on Netflix right now and launched there in January, so Disney probably won't be able to claim those for Disney+ until sometime in July 2020 at the earliest. They'll have the other films in those respective series, but the most recent ones will be stragglers because they'll have to wait until Netflix's window expires.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    There is no probably as it will be available on Disney+ on November 12th.

Jake Lipson and holtge like this.
  7. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Still think the volume and pace of releases in the MCU is pretty remarkable - a full 3rd of the entire suite of films was released only in the last 2 years...

dpippel and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  8. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    I'm greatly looking forward to reading Adam's ranking now that he's posted his very good and thorough reviews of each film during his re-watch (check out the films' respective threads to see his reviews).

Adam Lenhardt and Josh Steinberg like this.
  9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

What are the rules going to be for Endgame spoilers in this thread? Probably should avoid it altogether until you've seen the movie, but I'll probably use spoiler tags at least through the end of next weekend as courtesy.

Thanks for the kind words. I will definitely post a revised ranking here once I've seen Endgame.

Avengers: Infinity War
    is on tap for today. I was hoping to get another screening of Captain Marvel in before Endgame, just to round out the whole shebang, but looking at my schedule for the next week I just don't think it's going to be possible.

10. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    My intention (subject of course to owners and moderators) was to stick with the rule for the TV subforum: Endgame is fair, uh, game, as soon as it's screened publicly on the east coast USA/Canada (so around 8 pm eastern on Thursday, April 25, 2019--three hours after the earliest screening of 5:00 pm).

I think discussion of just the film itself should go in the Endgame thread (as per forum rules against multiple threads). This thread is the perfect spot for discussion of the entire MCU--including Endgame's role in it.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts on both Endgame and the MCU to-date!

11. Message #71 of 118 Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    holtge

holtge Screenwriter

Gordon Holt
    Post removed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

12. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I appreciate the good intentions behind the posting, but this thread is for discussion only for Marvel films which have already been released, as per the rules in the first posts.

Spoilers concerning unreleased Marvel films, or discussions about such spoilers, shouldn’t be posted here.

The point behind this specific thread being that anyone here can feel free to discuss an already released film without worrying about ruining someone else’s experience, and also so that readers can come here knowing that they’ll only see discussion about the films that have been released and not info about ones that haven’t come out yet.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Shouldn’t be in the other topic either.
    Just posting it in that topic is a spoiler even with the spoiler tag.

14. holtge

holtge Screenwriter

Gordon Holt
    Post removed as requested. Didn't mean to cause any issues. Just thought it was information that needed to be shared and posted it as a spoiler in case it was deemed to be one. Sorry I offended anyone.

Jeff Adkins and Josh Steinberg like this.
  15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I wasn’t offended and I might have come across a little bit strong.
    This info seems to be an inbetween bit that might not have a good spot to go.
    I really don’t know where it should go.

16. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    I've read some quotes regarding this and the way I read it, I think Netflix won't have any Disney films after December 31st. This was the statement issued by Netflix:

U.S. Netflix members will have access to Disney films on the service through the end of 2019, including all new films that are shown theatrically through the end of 2018.

I also read an interview with Bob Iger where he also mentioned the end of 2019, but I can't find that specific quote now. I read numerous interviews trying to get specific info and failed to bookmark the one where he mentioned that cutoff date.

So it's possible that by January 1st, that those films could be available on Disney Plus.

holtge likes this.
  17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I had read somewhere that Captain Marvel was the first Disney/Marvel movie not to be included in the Netflix deal, so that aligns with that statement.

Netflix has exclusive windows on certain Disney catalog titles that last for several years, too, so it will be a while before Netflix is devoid of Disney movies and Disney+ is fully stocked.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  18. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Hmm. The deal they signed in 2015 or so would have given Netflix a year and a half on each release, so if they are pulled early, that would be a change to the terms of their original deal. Which isn't impossible, but would be a change, and Disney might have to pay Netflix to compensate for the change -- which presumably isn't something they'd have a problem doing.

Yes, the original deal signed sometime in 2015 gave Netflix the pay-TV window rights for all Disney theatrical releases between 2016-18, which would start with Zootopia (released March 4, 2016) and conclude with Mary Poppins Returns (released December 19, 2018.) Captain Marvel, as a 2019 release, is excluded -- and we know per their announcement last week that it will be among the high-profile titles available on Disney+ at launch, because they specifically mentioned it as such.

What's interesting here is that the final three films covered under the deal -- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Ralph Breaks the Internet and Mary Poppins Returns -- have not yet started their Netflix window, because it has to be a certain time after the Blu-ray release before Netflix gets it. Based on the history of the deal, Ralph will probably end up on Netflix in May or June. So if Jeff is right and Disney is going to be able to remove all of their content at the end of the year, then those three titles will have extremely short shelf lives on Netflix between their add dates and removal dates.

19. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    I think my assumptions may have been incorrect. After watching the announcement presentation for Disney +, it looks as though only 4 MCU films will be available at launch, with another 8 coming during the first year. I went into a more detailed explanation over in the Disney + thread.

Jake Lipson likes this.