What's new

Marty (1955) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
There's a scene after Borgnine takes Betsy Blair home where she goes into her parent's bedroom to tell them about all that had happened to her that night. For some reason that was cut from the DVD release. I've never heard why. I hope it's been restored for this blu-ray release.

That's the one!!!

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Did this film originally begin with the United Artists Hexagon, or was it logoless, like on It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World? I learned that their pre-Transamerica films either had a hexagon or no logo at all. This made no sense whatsoever.

It also made no sense whatsoever that the hexagon appeared on British and European posters of UA films, but never on any American ones. Especially when you consider the fact that the hexagon was on both the British and American prints of A Hard Day's Night, The Man with the Golden Arm, The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming! The Happy Thieves, The Fabulous Dorseys, and Tomorrow the World.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Don't remember any logos ever appearing at the beginning of this movie, except with the MGM one for the dvd release. And yes, the UA hexagon logo appeared on the Australian release posters of the movie (I have a daybill from the movie's original release down here in 1956), yet the US release simply has UA in white writing on a black background, which is how they displayed their logo right up until when Transamerica took over.

I think also the movie had a run at the Cannes Film Festival (it won the very first Palme D'or, which I'm amazed that this fact is not on the cover of this upcoming bluray release, that fact might make an interesting special feature on this release) -- anyway, the movie played at the Festival in the last decade, and one of significant factors of this screening was that the movie was now uncut and had included in it the scene with Clara's parents in the living room -- I think also Betsy Blair herself was on hand at the screening.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I think that scene with Betsy Blair and the parents was cut before the original theatrical release. All 1955 reviews give the running time as 90 or 91 minutes rather than 94 (making it the shortest Best Picture winner, by the way), and it was never seen on any TV or video versions for decades, until a CBS Fox VHS version added it to the film. I remember how shocked I was when I first saw it. It's a nice scene, but it mostly repeats stuff we've already seen except for Clara's decision about taking the job in Port Chester. And the following iconic moment at the bus stop works better without it.

Maybe I just feel this way because of how many times I saw "Marty" over the years with that scene not included. I still have problems with the "special editions" of "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters".

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Bill Huelbig said:
I think that scene with Betsy Blair and the parents was cut before the original theatrical release. All 1955 reviews give the running time as 90 or 91 minutes rather than 94 (making it the shortest Best Picture winner, by the way), and it was never seen on any TV or video versions for decades, until a CBS Fox VHS version added it to the film. I remember how shocked I was when I first saw it. It's a nice scene, but it mostly repeats stuff we've already seen except for Clara's decision about taking the job in Port Chester. And the following iconic moment at the bus stop works better without it.

Maybe I just feel this way because of how many times I saw "Marty" over the years with that scene not included. I still have problems with the "special editions" of "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters".
According to Delbert Mann, the director of this film, the scene in question was cut from the movie for syndication. Alot of fans (myself included) who didn't see the theatrical release and had only seen it on television over the years were surprised when they first watched the VHS and saw that scene for the first time. Then when the DVD was released we were shocked to see the scene had been cut again!

It really should be restored for this blu-ray release.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Did I miss something? Did MGM strike some licensing deal with Kino? The past few weeks have seen the announcments of Marty, Witness for the Prosecution, Separate Tables, Duel at Diablo, and On the Beach.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
battlebeast said:
In watching all 494 Best pic Noms, this was one I did NOT like. I felt the film ended abruptly (like they ran out of money). I'll still buy it for my collection, though!
The first time I watched this, I thought it seemed more like a tv movie and then later found out it was based off a teleplay. I does have an abrupt ending like you're expecting it to continue on next week's episode. I absolutely love this movie though and can't wait to see it on blu.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Mark-P said:
Did I miss something? Did MGM strike some licensing deal with Kino? The past few weeks have seen the announcments of Marty, Witness for the Prosecution, Separate Tables, Duel at Diablo, and On the Beach.
Yes, Kino has struck a deal with MGM; that's why we're seeing these gems mined from the vaults and being released on Blu for the first time!

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
Walsh61 said:
According to Delbert Mann, the director of this film, the scene in question was cut from the movie for syndication. Alot of fans (myself included) who didn't see the theatrical release and had only seen it on television over the years were surprised when they first watched the VHS and saw that scene for the first time. Then when the DVD was released we were shocked to see the scene had been cut again!

It really should be restored for this blu-ray release.
MGM has zero respect for their film libraries. If a scene has been cut just shows how atrocious this studio is on preservation and what little respect they have for the audience who want these films. I for one will boycott their releases until they get their act together.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
What a sad, lost opportunity. On the other hand, it saves me money, and chances are that may be the case with some of the other MGM-Kino releases. Time will tell. But I certainly won't be preordering any.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Interesting in that I commented on their FB page a very courteous remark that I cancelled my pre-order of Marty and other titles and that I will wait for reviews before purchasing. I went back just now to read other comments and my comment was not there. In fairness, there were a couple other comments that were posted after mine stating those persons cancelled their pre-orders. I would recommend that anyone that can go to their FB page and read some of the comments and Kino's replies. They were so arrogant that I plan on being very limited in my purchases.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
ahollis said:
Interesting in that I commented on their FB page a very courteous remark that I cancelled my pre-order of Marty and other titles and that I will wait for reviews before purchasing. I went back just now to read other comments and my comment was not there.In fairness, there were a couple other comments that were posted after mine stating those persons cancelled their pre-orders. I would recommend that anyone that can go to their FB page and read some of the comments and Kino's replies. They were so arrogant that I plan on being very limited in my purchases.
I just saw your comment, Allen. It's still there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Crawford said:
Yes, we've been discussing it in this thread and in this thread. I am seriously thinking the same thing.
Any further discussion about the upcoming Marty BRD release needs to take place here such as our personal decision to not purchase this title.

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
I've pre-ordered three copies. Keep 'em coming Kino. Looking forward to watching this in preferred 1.33: 1 aspect ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks