What's new

Martin Scorsese and the Lawrence of Arabia DVD (1 Viewer)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
While viewing the end credits of Lawrence of Arabia there is a section devoted to the restoration and he is listed in those credits. My question is What did Martin Scorsese do with the restoration process. As far as documentaries, I only watched the exclusive doc. and the Conversation with Steven Speilberg. I don't believe either one told of his involvement. I did not watch the other 4 original documentaries. I figure they would have nothing to mention about him.

Anyone know?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I don't know whether Scorsese helped fund the restoration or not. One thing that is certain is that he was a very vocal proponent of having this great classic restored! Of course, he is a film preservationist in general too.

I really enjoyed the conversation with Spielberg. I thought it was cool to know that he would watch Lawrence of Arabia to help get his motivation and creative juices flowing for a new movie (or words to that effect).

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I also loved the fact that Speilberg mentioned that he used to always listen to the score. I love the score and it is moving. No other word really to describe it.

Everyone is probably right about the funding part with Scorsese. I guess I would have liked to have seen him in action with the movie if he actually helped physically with the restoration.

Lawrence of Arabia: A timeless classic beyond timeless classics. Cheesy, I know, but true.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
If I remember correctly, all the people listed in the end credits signed an open letter that was sent to the Library of Congress and movie studios supporting film restoration of classic films. Many of them also donated time and/or money to the cause of restoring LOA.

I also seem to remember that this either led to or greatly influenced the Library of Congress program that identifies important American films, and places an archive print in storage in the LOC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks