What's new

Martin Peter Pan - too much to hope for? (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Since there a plans to follow up on the success of the Sound of Music Live musical on NBC with a revival of Peter Pan, I find myself hoping that we will see a return to DVD of the 1954 Peter Pan with Mary Martin. It was out way back in the early days of TV DVD, but has fallen out of print and is commanding steep prices on the secondary market. I'm hoping with a musical resurgence going on and a modern day version of the musical coming on that we might get another chance at it. Any idea if there is at least talk?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The Color version was actually done in 1960. The two original live versions from 1955 & 1956 still exist on B&W kine-scope

It would be interesting to see a release of All 3 - clean transfers of the two kinescopes (bootlegs have been going around for years!) with LiveFeed/VidFire processing to restore the "live" look and a fresh transfer from the best surviving 2" elements of the 1960 color version.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree. Kinescopes of the live broadcasts (or at least the first one which won Emmys as Program of the Year and Best Actress) would be as viable and valuable as the kinescope of Julie Andrews in Cinderella.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, Mary Martin was appearing in The Sound of Music on Broadway when she rehearsed and shot the color videotape version of Peter Pan that was shown several times on network TV and later was commercially released on tape, laser, and DVD.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Didn't Mary actually fracture an arm during rehearsals for the 1960 "Peter Pan" and have to perform "Sound of Music" with her arm in plaster for several weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks