Martin Logan's and Denon 5800 receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Goode, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Richard Goode

Will the Denon 5800 run these martin Logan speakers. Aeon for the left and right mains, Theater for the center channel, and Script's for the rear channels. Thanks for the input.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I've heard Odysseys + Cinema being powered by a Denon 5803 that sounded terrific. I've also heard the Aeons for 2 channel and I believe they would sound fine with the Denon. The highs are pretty smooth from the ESL so it should be alright with the Denon's sound.

I would highly recommend using a subwoofer since the Aeons would definitly need them for HT and 2-channel music.

I've found the Martin Logans to really shine the more power you give them so I'd choose a receiver that can really pump out the watts.

3. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Richard,
    they will "work". The scripts were designed to be used with receivers as were the scenarios. The Aeons impedance curve may give the 5800 problems on material around 20K (I can't hear that high any more [​IMG]) What I suggest is try to get an in home demo if not take your receiver to the dealer. At some point later you can always upgrade the amps... and use the 5800 as a pre/pro...
    good luck in your search

4. Richard Goode

Thanks for the input, I'am using a SVS-ULTRA with a samson s-1000 amplifier for LFE. Should I set the speakers to small and use the SVS Ultra to do all the work. It seems that the Martin Logan Theater is rated to 70hz and the scripts are rated to 70 hz. Setting the the receiver to small will cut the frequency to 80 hz. THe Aeon's I think are rated to 45hz. Would setting the Aeon to small be recommended. Also would setting the the receiver to THX help with the higher frequencies. Thanks for the input.

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I don't know the direct relationship THX has with higher frequencies but I'd try both and see what happens.

I would also set the Aeons to small and let the sub handle the rest. Even though a speaker is rated to 45hz, doesn't mean the in room frequency response is smooth down to that level.

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I would run'em samll for sure the 80hz xover point seems ideal for the mains,but the center,and surrounds would be better off @100hz xover point.
    THX post processing definitelly affects the higher frequencies on all speakers,but you might wanna try it, if that's what you like.

7. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

I would go with the majority here. The ML centers all give way around 65-75 hz, depending on the model. Running all your speakers as small will help take the load off the 5800..., when I was using my Sequel IIs (claimed in room response of 30hz +/- 3db) I would always set them to small I was using an Onkyo 919 back then...

Miles

8. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

On the other hand,

I'm running M-L fronts (reQuests) and center (Cinema thanks to Miles who found it for me) and 4 ohm B&W rears using a Marantz SR8000. I run everything as 'large' and I've had no problems yet. I have no complaints on the sound and the job the receiver is doing (I want a good amp, but that's a different story).

Larry