Martin logan vs Magnepan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian P, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Brian P

Brian P Extra

Any opinions on which is a better speaker the Martin Logan Ascent's or Magnepan MG 3.6's? I'm going to have to make a drive to go hear the 3.6's so haven't yet...

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

these are both stellar speakers but they do sound different..which is better will depend on your tastes etc. I would think the maggies are going to be a little easier to drive then the ML's though neither are that easy to drive properly. I'm a big maggie fan but I've always enjoyed listening to ML's as well...let your ears dictate which you purchase...either way you're in good company

3. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

It all depends on what application it is for. Some people coming from the box speaker world find that the maggies lacks slam in the bass. Since the ML are hybrids, that is not as much an issue. I usually find the ML's integration of the panel and woofer more of an issue, along with the fact the woofer could sound overbearing in many situations due to their different radiating characteristics which would result in volume mismatch at the listening position between the two different drivers

I think the magnepan has a edge in soundstage and ML in imaging. But I never heard them side by side, so room setup in all those circumstances could not be ruled out.

You would also have to deal with amp issue with the ML, since it is a reactive load dipping pretty low in impedence, you would need an amp that could handle that kind of load. While with the maggies, you just need a good clean amp that is clean into 4 ohms, not necessarily a powerhouse amp.

4. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I have not had a chance to hear Maggies, and I'd really like to hea them as they have a lot of loyal fans. But I have a pair of ML reQuests that I am very happy with. If you want open, spacious sound, detail and speed then you should consider both of these speakers, perhaps along with some other panels. I've heard the Quad's and was disappointed in the lack of detail and speed, but there are other planars that are highly regarded. Browse the planar asylum over at the Audio Asylum.
    I wanted to comment on the load that ML's present to the amp. It does dip down to 1 ohm at 1 Khz, but I have been driving the ML's plus a pair of 4 ohm B&W's for a year with a Marantx SR8000 receiver, and I have not had any problems. We usually watch movies at full volume, due to the size of the room, and so far the 8000 has been great. Miles, who will likely notice this thread soon and respond, also drove a pair of ML's (SL3's?) with a receiver for awhile, I believe it was an Onkyo.
    I plan to upgrade to an amplifier within the next 12 months, but it is something you can phase in. A good receiver will drive the ML's in ther interim.
    Hope that helps,
    Larry

5. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Did I hear some one call my name [​IMG] ... I am a long time Logan fan despite their mixed blessings... they can be a pain to drive, they can be a pain to place, they can sound like crap depending on what you feed them... but boy if you can get it right you will be rewarded! as for Maggies I have only had the opportunity to hear Q1.6's they were not my cup of tea but at the price truely an audio bargin!
    Martin Logan yep I'm there in spades...

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I love the planar sound, but one of the things I love about the Maggies is the quality of the dipole bass, something you don't get with hybrid designs.

Being a DIY-er at heart, Magnepans are the only commercial speakers I'd buy, really something special.

7. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

IMO, Maggies are really great for soft jazz but not for anything else, ie: rock n roll or anything that needs volume. I have 1.5QR's and was satisfied for a couple of years when I was stuck in a 2ch. Jazz mood. I've stored them in the br. for now.

Old time JBL nut. I have 2pr. (4410's, 4312's) in the livin room now and I can't give em' up.

I did hear a $100K ML-Krell setup and it was worth every penney.

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I like Metallica over Maggies, although I don't know if that's "rock 'n roll" enough. [​IMG] A nice sub helps in that area (preferable dipole).

9. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

10. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Since the ball is rolling...

I like the Who, Grand Funk, blaring Hammond B3's from Rare Earth...you get the idea. I should be thinking Klipsch for that, but...

Would MMG's + my 20-39 work? (Common for

11. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Colin,

One of the guys at the meet brought "Pomp & Pipes" done by the Dallas Wind Symphony. This is a reference quality disc with organ notes that go below 20hz. Now the Maggies were not playing down that low (the subs were really working though)but I do run them full range. We were hitting peaks well over 100dB and the the room seemed to grow. The sound was just huge. This was with 1.6s and tons of power to drive them but I think even MMGs might suprise you. Yes,there are better speakers for loud rock music,but you would have to spend much more to reach the level of finesse offered by planars. The notion that Maggies fall on their face when asked to play loud and strong is false in my experience.

Jason

12. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Thanks Jason.

13. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

I tried the MMG's and liked them, and that's what caused me to purchase the 1.5QR's. I thought about getting 2prs. of MMG's, bolting 1 on top of another, and wired accordingly. :) I think I should've tried that, I would've spent $1K instead of $1.4, would've had 4 speakers for HT just in case. I also found out that the "room" they are going in makes ALOT of difference. When in NW Houston I had the QR's as L&R in my HT app. and they do not blend in well at all with "cone" speakers. I moved them to the playroom for 2ch. w/ 2 subs and they were better. My guess is if you're not gonna spend a small fortune on amps and the largest planars you can fit in the room, you'd be disapointed. I was drivin mine with a Adcom 555 (200wpc) and a Phase Linear (200wpc) for the 2 subs, and the Rippington's didn't sound good with the volume up. (thin)I'd like to hear a Total Maggie HT setup though.

14. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

I find the Maggies fine for rock music also. Slam is something they do have, extreme depth of bass is what they don't, due to the phase cancellation effect. My MGIIIs were good down to about 40 Hz by themselves. Quite low, actually, considering they are dipoles. Slam was great, due to the low mass diaphragms driven over their entire surface area (about 550 sq. in. of bass radiating area). Bass quality was excellent. Extremely low distortion (which is often perceived as lack of 'slam' to those used to higher distortion bass). I no longer have the Maggies. Along with marriage, and kids, other things have taken priority to dedicated listening rooms, but the seamless sound they produced still affects my judgement on all other choices ( good horn systems are the only other thing that can produce the low distortion sound you get from the Maggies, again, large and expensive). Compromises suck!

15. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Ron,

I am not saying the lack of maggie slam is a deficiency. But for people who come from the boxy speaker world that is used to the boxy bass, they might find the lack of high distortion/single point wavelaunch to be missing from the maggies.

My MG-IIIa's could go down to 35hz in my room, and from there shelfs down -10dB and goes flat again to 25hz. So there is bass.

As far as subs, general subs could be integrated with maggies by way of crossing over from the mains as low as possible. Many people feel bass-augmentation is the way, where you set the main xover to be where the mains starts rolling off. If you have to hook it up via LFE, then a crossover of 40-60h would be highly desired.

Of course, if you want that box speaker slam, you could set the xover as high as possible, to get that boxy bass. But that defeats the whole point of owning maggies.

16. Luke_Khuc

Luke_Khuc Stunt Coordinator

i would like to ask those who have maggies in their surround channels: which models that you use? i will use the outlaw 755, which is rated at 300 wpc at 4 ohm. thank you much.

17. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

I use the Magnepan MG10.1's for surround channel due to their narrow profile. In some ways, they sound better then my MG-IIIa's.

18. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

As far as low bass goes, you can't "hear" that much

below 40 anyway, so therefore low bass must be "felt", (slam?)

and to "feel" it, and it's eaiser to do if you're pumping air with a cone speaker. Bass amps do use cone speakers after all and the point is to "reproduce" bass, isn't it?

I know bass guitars aren't the only source for bass, it's just something that crossed my mind. If everyone's ears were the same we'd only need one kind of speaker. :)

I just don't get this "boxy bass distortion" claim. It seems to me that your pockets have to be deep to get great sound out of planer speakers, (size matters) if you're playin GFR etc.

19. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

20. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm running SMG's as my rears but have also used MMG's (very similar speakers). IMO as good as maggies are for mains their ability to create ambience makes them ideal for use as rear speakers...its almost errie how deep and wide the rear sound stage can be when reproduced by maggies. For example the rain forrest bird chirps or people talking behind you can often seem very real. The movie stir of echos was almost to much when we watched it late one night...freaky[​IMG]