What's new

Martin Logan vs. Dynaudio (1 Viewer)

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Current system:
Front: ML SL-3's
Center: ML Cinema
Amp: Krell KAV-500

Although I am very happy with this arrangement, I am looking at upgrading the HT in about a year. I will sell the existing speakers and either get better Logans or go with Dynaudio. The spending limit is $10,000 MSRP for the front speakers, and the center is negotiable. I will move up to the newer Krell amp (Theater Amplifier Standard) if I need to.

Which of these two options would you recommend? There are strengths and weaknesses with each choice, but I don't know how to prioritize them at this point.

If you have heard both of these brands (and don't just want to trash one or the other), let me know your opinion. Especially if you can point to specific models. I want floorstanders; not bookshelf or wall-mounted speakers, and I want to stick with one of these two brands because I know I can get a good deal on them.
Thanks for your advice!

Miles_W

Second Unit
Matt,

two very different beasts, what are you using for surrounds? you could always move your Sl3's and Cinema to rear duty and upgrade your fronts and centre to Odyessy/Theater. I recommend you buy second hand though and get more bang for your buck...

Miles

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
If you decide to go with Dynaudio, look on the used market for the discontinued Dynaudio Confidence series, in particular the C5. They seem to go for about $5000/pair originally $10,000.

These are some really nice speakers, never heard a negative word about them. Beautiful to look at and great on the ears.

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
Dynaudios are great, but I don't know of any dynamic speaker within your specified budget that beats MartinLogan Odyssey in terms of effortless micro-detail resolution and transparency. Being an SL3 owner, you know what I'm talking about.

I own electrostatics (ML Scenario) so this might be biased, but my advice is obviously to go MartinLogan all the way... and you'll get better blend with your existing 'Logans.

Cheers.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Miles,

My surrounds are not up to par with the Logan's, but they're pretty good. Acoustic Energy Aegis 1's. BTW, the sub is one SVS CS-Ultra.
I'd have no problem going with the setup you suggested, but I'd want to go ahead and upgrade the amp.

Scott,

Yeah, they have some beautiful speakers out there. I've heard the C5's, and they're awesome. Just heard the C4's the other day, and... wow... but a little out of my budget! The C2's are very, very tempting, as well.

Arnel,

What are the Prodigy's going for these days? I thought they were right at $10K, but they've probably had a price increase since I last heard. Maybe, like Miles said, the Odyssey would be the way to go, so I can put money into an amp upgrade, which would improve the whole system.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Surprisingly (since such systems are currently out of my price range), I have done a comparison between the Odysseys and the C5s. This was back when I was helping a friend upgrade his system--he eventually decided to keep his existing PSB Stratus Gold i's, by the way.
I loved both, but for different reasons. I thought the C5s looked great (not a completely inconsequential point for two very different-looking speakers, especially if there is SAF involved), and they seemed to hold a marginal advantage on the home theater end of things. I just felt that there was more impact with the Dynaudios(maybe that's just extraneous cabinet resonance that I happen to like, though).
On the other hand, the Odysseys just made my jaw go slack with music. WOW. I've never heard anything that compared to the transparency and airiness (go go vague audiophile terms!) of music through these electrostats; it's the closest I've come to a live musical performance without actually being there. They are more directional than the C5s, and seemed more sensitive to placement (at least, the sales rep pushed them around a lot more until he was satisfied).
What's your movies/music percentage split? That might help as a determining factor, at least if you had some of the same impressions that I do.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Michael,
I think your impressions of the two are right on target. Very good analysis. The Dyns do impact better (more for movies) and the ML's do detail (for music) better.
My movies/music split is probably in the 75/25 area. The SL3's are great in that regard, although sometimes they seem a little bright when I'm listening to music.
The upgrade will come at the time when the HT is moved into it's own room (in a new home). I'm thinking that room size will have perhaps the biggest influence on the decision. WAF will be an issue, but I think she would be happy with either choice. In fact, she named the HT. Due to the size of the SL3's (taller than she is) and the SVS, she started calling it "Stonehenge." It stuck. :)

Miles_W

Second Unit
Matt, If you are getting excessive glare I would try some room dampening, do you have hard wood floors and alot of glass/bare walls. Also If you find you are lacking "punch" do you have your Front/Centre set to small... The Cinema although an excellent centre only goes down to 70hz...

When I started running an all ML set up I had Sequel II's a logos and Aerius as surronds, I sold the Sequels and went with the full range panel (CLS IIz) my mix is probably 70% music 30% movies... If you prefer the sound of the Logans for music there is probably something you can do to add more punch...

Miles

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
indeed, it would seem an enormous waste of good speakers if one did not pay a commensurate attention to the room acoustical enviroment. out of curiousity, is this an area that you've presently adressed or not? also have you given any thought other planar speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks