Martin Logan Surround Setup plus A/V Receiver Advice Needed/ Opinions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by NickCzar, Oct 17, 2003.

1. NickCzar

NickCzar Auditioning

I'm thinking about getting a Martin Logan surround setup with the following speakers
    Fronts: Ascents (not i)
    Rears: Scenarios (not i)
    Center: Cinema

No subwoofer for now (possible Sunfire in the future)

The above will cost $5800 from a dealer (not much use though).
    Any opinions on if this is a good deal. I've priced used equipment and its about 1000 to 1500 less for used stuff from audiogon and ebay but I'd rather have the full five year warranty if I'm spending this much.

As for the receiver, I'm thinking about the Marantz 7300ose (110Wpc) or the Denon 3803 (110Wpc). Any other recommendations. I do plan on getting separates eventually. I know the Martin Logans are power hungry. I demoed them with a 100 Wpc Rotel AV receiver and they sounded great with both surround and music (BTW the ergonomics on the Rotel were horrendous--don't recall the model right now)

I'll be using the setup for HT and music (50/50 split).

Thanks.

2. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

I think you should beat your dealer up for at least another $500 off that price. Besides being demos, these are not current models. Having said that, you have the start to a great sounding system. I would be tempted to get a HK 7200 or NAD T562 as they have the best amps at that price point - something you'll will need with the MLs. The Marantz is a good choice if you will be getting separate amps soon - it makes a great pre/pro...

3. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

You won't want to be running the ML's off of a receiver for very long. As much as I think the Marantz is a great receiver, I ruined my SR-8000 in a year trying to drive ReQuests as front speakers. If you try to drive ML's all around your receiver won't last very long. Sorry - its just a fact. They are very hard to drive.

Larry

4. JimNug

JimNug Auditioning

Any electrostatic panel speaker design will require pretty high quality amplification to drive it. I would agree with those suggesting that the ML's will suck the life out of your receiver in pretty short order.

5. NickCzar

NickCzar Auditioning

Thanks, the receiver will be a temp solution. I have a dealer here that is willing to give me full credit on my purchase of the 7300ose toward another receiver or amp if I upgrade within the next year. I will either use the 7300 OSE as a pre with a separate amp or may eventually go with the Sunfire Ultimate receiver.