What's new

martin logan speakers (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm going to be going to a dealer around new orleans friday to listen to some martin logan speakers. i've never had any experience with electrostatic speakers so i don't know what i might be "in for" or what to expect. i'm currently using mirage frx-7 and i think they sound very good. i'm not really looking to upgrade right now...just expanding my horizons. i listen to a varying range of music from ambient techo to heavy metal. i'll be taking a few demo cd's to get any idea but was wondering if anybody here has experience with this brand and could give me any idea of what to expect over the traditional direct radiating speakers i'm used to listening to. thank in advance.

kevin t

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
i'm not really looking to upgrade right now
you will after the demo:) ML's are very nice speakers and can image like there's no tomorrow. If you can you might also want to try and demo some Magnepans which are similar to MLs but are planner not electostats

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Take as much music with you as you can. Listen to your favorite music. Enjoy! :)
Jon

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Hi Kevin,
Ive had the pleasure of listening to some great ML's on a fairly high end Super Audio system powered by some Levinson amps, etc.
As mentioned, they image something wicked!
I think i remember hearing that the newer models have a much better low end.
In the past, ML's were known to be a little weak in the bass section. So, you may want to be sure you have a quality sub connected; one that blends in very well so that you cant tell that the bass is coming from the sub.
The ones i listened to were mated very well with a large B&W sub (dont know the model)and the experience was breathtaking.
I dont think ML's would sound very good with hard hitting rock or alternative rock style music.
IMO, ML's are speakers which allow you to hear and feel the tiniest of nuances. Therefore, if i had the money, id have two music only systems.
One for orchestral, easy listening, jazz type music which would play through ML's; and another system for heavy metal, rock, rap, played through something lke Paradigms,etc.
My $0.02

Miles_W

Second Unit
As a very happy ML owner I agree with Henry, I listen to mostly R&b, classical, Jazz and a bunch of new age, and a smattering of hip hop, I do not think that the Little logans will give you the slam you are looking for with Heavy Metal, however, when you get up to Odyssey/Prodigy territory they will be able to Deliver what you are looking for... Regardless as Jon_B mentioned take as much music as you can manage and listen to it all...

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Martin Logans are superb speakers, but for your taste in music, I'm not sure they're the best choice. Martin Logans are sublime with vocals, jazz, chamber music, etc. In other words, they're great with small ensembles, but they don't fare as well with rock, heavy metal, techno, large scale classical, etc. Of course the the larger Prodigy and Odyssey with their dual woofers will work better than the smaller models, but they are $10,000 and $6,000 respectively. A better choice might be NHT.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Check out my review of the Final .3 electrostatics:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=27220
(yes, I know it says ".1" in the subject...just ignore)
I've heard (and sold) MLs and always loved them for the same reasons everyone on this thread had given them praise. I can also honestly say that the Finals, dollar for dollar, better the MLs (IMO), and with the final .3s on sale for around $1300 it's a no brainer...at least give them an audition! The bass driver is integraded seamlessly and you don't hear any "hump" or artifact in the sound where the driver takes over.
I'd definitely pair them up (as I would the MLs) with an audiophile sub to fill out the sound.
BTW, I have to say that I take point with those who don't think the electrostatics are great for rock or techno (at least the finals). They sound very dynamic, have great transient response, and make *well recorded* rock an incredible experience. I played Yaz, upstairs at Erics "situation" and my friend who I had over to hear the spaekers, sitting in the sweet spot, said that he'd never heard anything like that before and was totally blow away. Synthesized music also sounds incredible. Take a wide variety of music with you when you go. And don't feel you have to settle on the MLs right away even if you like them...they aren't going anywhere. Check out the finals too if you like the sound of electrostatics.
-dave

Kevin T

Screenwriter
david:

who do i need to contact regarding us distribution of final speakers? i doubt there is a dealer in my area but i'll put these on my list of must hears. i'm off to listen to the logans tomorrow. we'll see how well they perform with some of the music i'm taking.

kevin t

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
if you like the sound of electrostatics after your M.L. listening session, give Bob from Final an email: [email protected] . He's in charge of U.S. distribution and can help you figure out how to audition a pair.
-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks