What's new

Martin Logan Quest Z and reQuest, which sounds better? (1 Viewer)

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Seth...I sent you a PM! :D

I like listening to jazz, some light R&B stuff, and really anything that sounds good (I have a variety of tastes!).

E

John Royster

Screenwriter
Its my opinion that ML finally got the integration and bass response right in the request line. From there the odessey and prodigy followed even better.

I'm truly amazed at the prodigies. The only complaint of the nice logans is the ungodly power they need. A sealed 12" woofer in a small enclosre, crossed at 180-220 hz begs gobs of power.

So be prepared to put 200-400 watts into your logans. Its not that they are inefficient, but with the impedance curve all over the place my requests shut down my 100 watt integrated amp and adcom 200 watt/ch power amp.

They're brutal on your source gear, they're brutal on your room, but godbless when you get them right it is hard to touch.

Oh - and make sure you pay attention to your speaker cables. Start off bi-wiring with 12 gauge wire and play around a bit. With the wild swings and unusual nature of the speakers wire "can" come into play. Notice my disclaimer there...."can".

-edit- I hope I'm providing some help. I'll give you the "real deal" on my speakers and not sugar coat anything. Like all speakers there are cons to them.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Great input John!

In case you are curious a bit more about impedance...I talked with a Martin Logan tech extensively about their impedance and it is the panel that dips mighty low and not the bass module...just an FYI for those considering what amps to use or in particular deciding which amp to use for what when bi-amping like I was. But if you're not bi-amping, then yes, by all mean get some beef to run these babies!!!

E

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Seth,

In 9th grade we lived in Albuquerque, then we moved about 40 miles east of Albuquerque. I lived in Moriarty for three years and joined the Navy and ended up in Washington State. I have been in TorC for Track meets and Football.
That was, dare I say 15 years ago. Man, I am getting old.

Interesting how you feel your center channel is not adequate. I am currently using an Energy Veritas center and it blends in very well with my Aerius i's.

Erik got me to invest in some new speaker spikes this last week. I cannot believe that they actually made a difference in performance with my speakers. I think that I need to mess with the speaker height/angling now, becuase they actually sound brighter and clearer. My wife noticed that they sounded a little brighter. Sure was a small investment to be able to change my sound some.

I have been bugging Erik lately to find more music that will show off my new speakers. I usually listen to pop style music. Lots of Christian music, my wife really likes the contemporary praise/worship music. She is really enjoying the clarity and transparency of the speakers. Lately we have been listening to some jazz. I really am enjoying Norah Jones and Diana Krall. Thanks for the recommendations, Erik. I will have to check out the Yello music. I really like to listen to music that shows off the ML. Lately, I have been on a search for more music to enjoy. Would like to get some more female singers, probably jazz stuff.

Jeff

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

That makes us about the same age, I'm 32 (I'm getting old too). I have lived in Socorro, Las Cruces, Grants and now TorC. I went to high school here in TorC. Albuquerque is getting big, I go there pretty often ( a lot more stuff to do than here in TorC).

The Cinema center channel is an excellent speaker, both sonically and aesthetically. I just need a bigger center channel to fill my large room better.

Yes, spikes sure do make quite a difference in the sound of Martin Logans when used on carpeting, especially thick carpet. I noticed a definite improvement with the spikes. My reQuests came with ETC spikes (5 spikes per speaker)and I really like them.

Re music that really shows off Martin Logans, here is a list of CD's that really sound grand on mine.

Yello: One Second
Yello: Flag
Yello: Baby
Yello: Essential
Jimmie Vaughan: Strange Pleasure
Cesar Rosas: Soul Disguise
The Iguanas: The Iguanas (rare out of print)sometimes available on half.com or secondspin.com
The Iguanas: Nuevo Boogaloo (rare out of print)sometimes available on half.com or secondspin.com
Eagles: Hell Freezes Over
Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms
Santana: Supernatural
John Fogerty: Blue Moon Swamp
Huey Lewis & the News: Plan B
The House Jacks: Drive
The Nylons: Hits of the 60's a cappella style
The Nylons: Perfect Fit
The Manhattan Transfer: Tonin'
Jesse Cook: Free Fall
Jesse Cook: Vertigo
Jesse Cook: Gravity
Ottmar Liebert: Innamorare Summer Flamenco
Oscar Lopez: Armando's Fire
Oscar Lopez: Dancing on the Moon Contigo (out of Print)

SV

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Seth,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your reQuests. I've had a pair for about two years, bought them when they were discontinued. Similar sized room, 26' x 27' with 12' ceiling and they fill it well iff they have sufficient power. Bought a used Bryston 4BST to power them, big difference from a high-end receiver I was using temporarily.

I'd have to say their bass response is excellent. But to my surprise it improved radically when I bought a good pre-amp, a Classe SSP50.

Also have a Cinema and I'm afraid its not up to the task of a room this size. Will need to upgrade some day but not this year (wife will kill me), bought the Bryston and the Classe this year.

A great album to show how fast the panels are is a jazz guitar trio - Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin
http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.aspx?pid=10502

Enjoy!

Larry

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Kool! another proud reQuest owner. They sure are some awesome speakers aren't they? Your room is quite large also. But it's nice to know that they are right at home in large rooms like ours. Glad to hear you're enjoying your Classe' SSP-50 pre-pro and Bryston 4BST amp. That's quite a setup you've got, I'll bet your system sounds awesome. Yeah, separates sure do make quite a difference in sound quality.

Thanks for sharing the link to that jazz guitar trio. I played the samples and I really liked what I heard. Looks like that's one for my collection.

SV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks