What's new

Martin Logan owners: Amp matching suggestions (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Forgive me for posting this on a forum or 3 but I like varied opinions.
I've been looking for a new set of front 3 speakers for my hometheater/music system and I'm down to 3 brands now in the sub $2k pair range.
1. Linn Ninka's.
2. Vandersteen 2's
3. Martin Logan Aeon's(new speaker)
My wife likes these speakers(mainly for the anethetics but I've always like their sound. I plan on an audition this week. They are 4ohm speakers at 89db effecient. Given this I'm gonna need a new amp because I don't think my current reciever will do the job(Sony V444es) so I'm considering an external amp to drive the front 3. I don't have the room in the rear for ML rears so I'll have to go with another brand.
Which amp would you suggest or brands? How much power should I be looking at? I'm trying to get away with a sub $1k option and I'm not afraid to go used, demo or whatever else. The Marantz mono's I don't believe can handle the low ohm load very well so I'm semi-ruled them out.
Any suggestions are recommended.

Luis A

Second Unit
Hi Shane, If you are interested in the ML's the Aeon/Cinema/Scenario set up is nice. My wife uses this set up in her office with a Krell KAV-500 amp. I have to tell you it does sound pretty good, almost as good as my theater. Anyway, I suggest you go with a good amp like the Krell if you use the ML's. L

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
A good amp is important but I have heard that setup on a denon 2800 and it still sounds fabuous. Check out Ultimate Electronics (I work there) should be one in your area. You can't go wrong with ML

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
I used to own Martin Logan CLS, which are much tougher than the Aeons to drive. I'd suggest a used high current amp for them which should be easy to find for under $1K.
Top choice (IMHO) would be the Citation 7.1 or 5.1 or the Fosgate 4200 if you can find one.
Another good choice would be to sell your Sony and get the Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 prepro/Signature 1.0 power amp combo.
Whilst these retailed for over $3K, you can get them from www.harmanaudio.com at their outlet shop for under $1K.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks