What's new

Martin Logan Odyssey VS. BMW 802 (1 Viewer)

Aron

Grip
I'm trying to decide between the Odyssey or BMW 802 for my next speaker upgrade. So I went to my Local Store today to try them out. From what I can hear..seems like the Martin Logans are much more clear and alive...seems the artist is in front of you playing, but once you're out of the sweet spot (which is pretty small), it's a totally different story. If you sit closer to one speaker over the other, it's seems like that speaker is playing louder and u can pinpoint the music to that speaker and not the other. With the BMW 802..it's still clean and dynamic, but no as good as the Odyssey, but it has a much larger sweet spot. If anyone have any opinions or advice...I'll appreciated since I'll be dropping around $8k on just speakers alone.

Thanks

Dan Hotch

Agent
Next time ask the dealer to show you the B&W 802s, maybe those will sound better. Then decide to drop $8k.
Regards,

Aron

Grip
I did listen to the B&W 802s...The Martin Logan sounds better if you're in it's sweet spot, but the sweet spot is so small compare with the 802s.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i've done some good, critical listening to the all speakers in the Nautilus 800 line (minus the 803's), and i do have to say that B&W makes my favorite speakers right now. i would go B&W over Logans if it were my money. also consider that the ML's need to stand out a good distance from the wall to deliver their best sound.

both companies make excellent speakers though, IMO.

KeithR

Second Unit
You might also want to audition:

Dynaudio Contour 3.0

Audio Physic Virgo III

Revel Studios

Pro Ac 3.8

Arial Acoutics 10T

You have a big price range, so why not do a bigger search?

Is this going to be just for theater, or for music as well, and what are your electronics? There are much easier speakers to drive than both Martin Logan and B&W, making your amp expense cheaper. Of course several I mentioned need some muscle as well

Good luck!

Larry B

Screenwriter
Aron:

I would choose the 802s over the Martin Logan. However, when I was considering the 802s a few years ago, I found the Thiel CS6s to be more to my liking. Give them a try, if you have the opportunity.

Larry

P.S. In case you didn't catch on yet, the posters above were poking fun at the fact that your original post said "BMW," rather than "B&W."

P.P.S. Where in NJ are you? I'm in Hackensack.

Aron

Grip
:) hahah....Actually that's funny now come of think of it, I just got a New BMW E46 M3, and it does sound pretty good...I'm located in Union, N.J. I went to Woodbridge Stereo to do my testing on the Martin Logan Prodigy and the B&W N802. I currently have a really small room with a Marnatz SR-7200 driving a set of Energy Encores as my home theatre. But I'll be moving to a new house within 6 months. So I wanna get a nice new pair of speakers with a couple of amps first, because they won't get outdate as fast as recievers and processors. I'm sure the B&W or ML will sound much better than my setup right now even in my 12x13 room. I'm pretty happy with the Encores for Home Theatre, I just need the 2 channel stereo to be better. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Aron,
just so you don't think that your ears have betrayed you I prefer the sound of the Martin Logans over the B&W's also... however if you are looking at spending that kind of money try to hear them at home with your equipment... dealer show rooms are far from ideal listening environments to judge if a speaker will sound good at home :D

John Doran

Screenwriter
aron,

for that kind of cash, i'd also try the dunlavy sc-iv/a's, and the thiel cs-6's.

also, give the vandersteen 3a's a whirl - a better, more accurate speaker than others many time it's cost.

perhaps also the soliloquy 6.5's.

just a thought.

- jd

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
SHWEET! BMW is bringing back the 8 series? But why only with a .2 liter engine?

Seriously, though, the B&W N802 and the Martin Logan Odyssey are very different sounding speakers, and I'd have a difficult time choosing, as both are excellent. To make things more difficult, you may want to look at other speakers from Revel, Dynaudio, Vienna Acoustics, and Dunlavy.

Jeff Kad

Grip
I've owned B&W (and BMW 528) 803s2 for years and love them. I've heard the Nautilus line and they sound great. I just picked up B&W CDM9NTs for HT use. So obviously I love the "B&W sound". The only other speakers that have moved me emotionally are electrostatics/planars (ML, Maggies, others I can't remember right now). For certain types of music they are incredible. Nothing like them for air, space, presence (the performers are right there in the room with you) detail, clarity, etc. Under the right circumstances, with the right music, they win hands down for me, even over my beloved B&Ws. However, although I haven't heard the ML's you're looking at, I would bet that as an allaround performer, all situations/all types of music&ht, the 802s would be the better performer on balance. And the sweet spot issue is a killer. I listened to lower ML's recently and couldn't believe the difference both laterally and vertically as I moved. But, yes, it was beautiful in the sweet spot. Did not handle big orchestra stuff well though. So I guess the short of it is, if you're going to sit still in the sweet spot, and it does well with your taste in music, buy the ML. Otherwise, the 802s are the choice, IMHO.

Alex F.

Second Unit
If you want to hear M-Ls in a different venue, visit one of the Harvey Sound stores in New Jersey or Manhattan (see harveyonline.com for locations). Harvey normally uses either Krell or McIntosh electronics for demos. They also offer Sonus-Faber and Vienna Acoustics speakers.

B&W Nautilus speakers can be heard at Home Theater Shop (732-424-8680) on Rt. 22E in Green Brook. That's an easy trip from Union. Right now they have the 803, 804, and 805 on demo.

CSA Audio (973-744-0600) in Upper Montclair has Dunlavy. The Dunlavys have an almost electrostat/planar-like character (quick, open, neutral), with completely coherent bass (the dynamic bass drivers in M-Ls don't always blend perfectly with the 'stats on some music). Since you like M-L, consider Dunlavy as well.

Happy listening!

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Aron,
You lucky bastard! An E46 M3! We just bought a new house which at times requires 4-wheel drive to get to and I had to get rid of my 328.:frowning: It was certainly no M3 but I still loved it. Now I'm stuck in a Toyota pickup. I'll probably have to wait unitl my midlife crisis to get my next Bimmer. An M roadster.:D
Anyhow, I think both the B&W and M-L's sound great but I'd go with the M-L. I currently have a set of Maggies for 2CH but I intend to upgrade to M-L in the future. The electrostatics and planar speakers have a sound and feel that I just love.
FWIW, my wife and I had the opportunity to AB a pair of 802s and a pair of SL3s using both Krell and CJ electronics. We both preferred the SL3.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
ALex, have you ever thought about getting an Audi S4 or Subaru WRX (both offer the performance of the old M3, but are 4wd). Autoweek just had an article about 2 guys who got ride of their m3s for a WRX and another got ride of his S4 for one, a great car for the $$$.

I am holding out for the new Nissan 350Z

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Rodney,

I did consider the Audi but not the Subaru. I've heard good things about the WRX but my wife completely hates Subarus. Her mom used to have one that broke down everytime my wife used it, usually when it was -50 degrees.

The truck actually comes in quite handy as we have a long uphill driveway and I can toss the garbage cans in the back. I'd hate to have to haul them up the hill on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks