Martin Logan Descent vs Revel B-15

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulXH, Feb 24, 2003.

1. PaulXH

PaulXH Stunt Coordinator

Which one would you pick and why? Pls no posting about SVS or other subs. I am sure they are great subs,but it is really between the Descent and B-15. Thanks

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

What are you using the sub for? HT, Music or both? What speakers and other associated equipment do you have? It's going to be tough to make recommendations otherwise. I have never personally heard either sub, but I've heard very good things said about both. The Descent, in particular, has received very good press recently--if that holds any weight with you. If you don't get any first-hand advice here, you might want to try asking on Audio Asylum, but make sure you include info about your assoc. equipment, application and listening objectives--the inmates might get restless otherwise. [​IMG]

One more question: if it's between these two subs, why don't you take them home for an audition?

3. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I have demoed them both w/ ATOTC & Pearl Harbor.The Revel is on a whole other level, this thing puts out bass (HIGH SPL) that will make you check the integrity of your infrastructure! Oh and it gose low and loud! The decent is no wimpy sub but just can't do what the Revel can (IMO)

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I agree with the others, with the amount of money you are about to spend...absolutely try to compare them in your own home. Be sure to calibrate both to the same levels during your comparisons too.

Tom V.
    SVS

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I own a descent, and my opinion is completely opposite of Terrences. It took about 2 weeks of steady use, but the Descent took some time to break in. I was a big fan of Velodyne, and still am, but I think the Descent is downright amazing. best sub I have ever owned. The Revel honestly did nothing for me. just my .02

6. PaulWK

PaulWK Auditioning

The B15 = 126dB at 30Hz, 1000W rms & 1400W peak, 76mm excursion . . . and it sounds fantastic.

7. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I've heard the Descent on the intro for Toy Story 2, and I was amazed how it shooked the rather large (25x18) room at a nearby Tweeter here in Houston. THey did not have it calibrated properly though and I wanted to turn it down a little but could not find the vol control...nevertheless, I was impress with it's looks and styling as well as it's abilities to rumble everything without being so massive in size.. good luck..

8. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator