Martin Logan Depth may be the sound I'm looking for.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I do not care if a sub is loud. I especially do not want a distorted boomy sunfire... I mean sub. [​IMG] I want a sub that disapears and is as accurate as possible. Yes when I tried out the Sunfire it made bass but I had the F-ing thing at a Quarter volume. Because it was just too damn loud. Now I listen to alot of music. But I do watch a good amount of movies... proably 50/50.

Is the SVS PC-Ultra gonna give me what I am looking for? I do not want a biased answer, I want honesty... If you think the SVS isnt as accurate as possible it is not what I want. I know everyone says it is flat and not boomy, so I think I will like it. But I will judge that on friday when I meet ron.

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Yes the PC Ultra is really boomy. Buy a Yamaha 40W instead.

Instead of posting new threads all the time why not actually go and listen to a SVS sub?

I have a feeling after all this you'll probably buy a sub that's been rated in the magazines, rather than glowing user reports.

Sorry to be blunt- but your posts are starting to get a bit monotonous.

3. JohnGil

JohnGil Stunt Coordinator

I do not care if a sub is loud. I especially do not want a distorted boomy sunfire... I mean sub. I want a sub that disappears and is as accurate as possible. Yes when I tried out the Sunfire it made bass but I had the F-ing thing at a Quarter volume. Because it was just too damn loud. Now I listen to alot of music. But I do watch a good amount of movies... proably 50/50.

Is the SVS PC-Ultra gonna give me what I am looking for? I do not want a biased answer, I want honesty... If you think the SVS isnt as accurate as possible it is not what I want. I know everyone says it is flat and not boomy, so I think I will like it. But I will judge that on friday when I meet ron.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    From reading all of your repeated posts I highly doubt that YOU would know whether one was more accurate than the other. Why don't you buy one of each and test them in YOUR home and make an educated purchase. NONE of us can tell you what your ears are going to like no matter how many threads you start on the subject.

Sorry if I sound rude but SH** of get off the pot already.

4. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

I'll take my jab at redundancy. (Gag, Barf, We know already).

I'm a critical music listener mostly - 60/40 at its worst to 90/10 at best. My 2+ naturally reproduces the bass of my music, IMO, flawlessly from quiet to cranked. It is the perfect conduit of bass signal. Blends perfectly. Not boomy. Not cranked all the way. It does EXACTLY as it is told, cleanly, and there is NO fault in that. It is a welcome voice to what had previously been only a boys choir.

I sympathize with the feeling of buying something you've never listened to. My choice was worth every hard earned dollar. The best $1300 spent of my life. I now look around at my favorite HT shop's high end $2K subs, and they look like shoe boxes. You mean these things are supposed to compare? They've taken on a much more miniscule air about them. Why in the world would someone spend MORE money an something NO BETTER than the 2+? Are they severely space limited? Is it purely an aesthetic choice? Do they know any better? Do they care? Why would they not buy an SVS? Probably because they don't know one, like myself not long ago, and you now.

SVS has lots of products and there are surely some that fit your needs more than others. I went for overkill on the 2+ and found exactly what I wanted. I will forever recommend the SVS and only the SVS brand of subs to anyone looking for quality low frequency sound. Whether that takes away from my recommendation or not, I could give a care less - I own one already. I will still have to learn to bite my toungue through criticism or compelling stories of other subs, but such is the price of complete satisfaction.

5. Jesse Sharrow

God you guys are jerks. Plus before you get all mad read the post more closly.

What other reason would I do that for than to listen to the subs. Now I come here to get opinions... and I dont know what else you need to get here. If you dont want people asking questions, getting opinions this site wouldnt exsist. So you get off of the pot and lighten up!

6. Jesse Sharrow

I want you guys to know that I am dissapointed in you. I come here to get opinions and it seems whenever I make a post about a sub that is not SVS or Velodyne I get yelled at. "Just go listen to it" "Stop making so many posts!" If you guys dont want to listen to me....

DONT READ MY POSTS!

I just want you to know that I am pretty P'OD! I am still going to listen to the SVS friday. But I may not buy it just because all of its fans are not very nice people!

That wasnt aimed at you keith. I appreciate your feed back.

7. JohnSmith

Other people have been more than helpful.. you've posted many many posts and they've replied politely and helpfully (and so have I) but now it's getting a bit of a joke.

I think you should grow up. Whether or not someone tells me to actually buy a certain sub after several threads would not rile me up like your last post.

If you're going to listen to a SVS this week why open another thread? You are changing your mind every 5 seconds on different subs.. yet you have not heard one, and are believing marketing hype (Earthquake sub for example) over other people's opinion's. You could easily search for SVS comments comparing other subs.

8. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jesse,

I think we're still open to host you on FRI. Unfortunately all I have ready to rock is an SS, a CS-Plus, a vintage PCi (the original production prototype actually, thing ought to be in a museum ;^) and a PB2-Plus. We're still not caught up enough for the crew to have taken a PC-Ultra off the line to send me.

I don't know if you have actually heard the ML "Depth" but you described what I think SVS sounds like pretty well. Deep, flat, accurate, natural.

It's about as different a subwoofer as you can get when compared to a Sunfire.

Life might be like a box of chocolates (you never know what you are gonna get) but with our products you get the sound I believe you are looking for and for a fraction of what an OEM like ML is going to deliver it for. I know YOU don't know this yet but people do keep repeating it to you... the reason for the frustration I think, since most the folks lending advice have been here a while and are mostly owners that have heard many other subs.)

It's actually good that you didn't like the Sunfire. If you had loved it, I wouldn't have held much hope for a demo of the PB2-Plus I have.

E-mail me so we can arrange a time for FRI.

I hope you do realize that after you hear a PB2-Plus, which is probably the hottest property in subwoofer retail sales, that you will have two choices. Buy an SVS, or don't ever come back to Home Theater Forum LOL!

Ron

9. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

You never know, Jesse may, after hearing an SVS, be SVS's latest cheerleader. It is sometimes those who are hardest to convince that become the a products best advocate!!!

10. JohnGil

The fans of it aren't very nice people? HAHAHAHA........

SVS fans and many others have been very helpful to you, me included. We have offered our UN-biased opinions time and again to help you out. A day latter after you say you have made a choice your second guess it.

I never post like I did to you and you can read all of my posts to prove it. The thing is YOU don't listen to what everyone is telling you and start asking the same questions just worded differently and it becomes annoying is all.

Regardless, YOU just need to make a discission. BITE the bullet buy a sub and if your not happy with it return it.

I would sugest you go buy a 12" bottom line sony sub and listen to it for a week and return it. Then get yourself that PC Ultra you SAID you were gona get and see the difference in bass quality for yourself. Hell better yet get yourself a M&K MV-125 then get the PC Ultra.

I know buying a product you have never heard is hard but eventually we need to see you making posts about what movies to use to test your new sub out as opposed to which sub is better for me.

GOOD LUCK.

11. Jesse Sharrow

Ok well first of all I appologize for getting so mad, and second I appologize for posting so much. Imagine living with me or working with me. [​IMG] My coworkers about walk away when I want to ask a question. But I am a nice person and they still seem to like me. I am the kind of person that really likes to know what other people think. I like to KNOW that I am making the right descision. All I wanted in this post was to know of anyone who has owned, heard, or hell even wanted a martin logan sub. It just seems that people are so caught up in their SVS that they are blind to anything else. This makes me think that they either A: they are ignorant and dont care about anything else or B: That SVS is so absolutly phenominal that they are right! Im kinding hoping that its B. So I am still going to listen to it on Friday.

Again I appologize. Ron Im gonna call you as soon as I stop typing this. BTW a PB2+ and SS are about what I was expecting to listen to. Thanks again guys.

12. Jesse Sharrow

Ok let me explain myself a little better.

I am not buying anything till mid april. I work in a retail store. Buisness has been really really slow. I have alot of time to think about things. When I am surrounded by home audio product its hard not to think about it. So all I do all day is do research online and ask questions and listen to the crap that we sell.

So again I appologize. I will make up my mind..... hopefully... on friday. Thanks again guys. Again I appologize for being annoying.

13. JohnSmith

No problem. Apology accepted. All I can say is that my $825 SVS PC Plus outperforms a $1800 Rel Storm.

Perhaps some other subs are better..but from quite a few other posts of owners with SVS/other subs it appears that a HGS-18 is beaten by the PB2+, SVS are far superior to the Sunfire/Earthquake subs and from a M&K & Rel dealer's own admission a £700 20hz PC Plus outperforms a £2100 MX-350 Mk II, and is equal to the top of the range Studio III. That really says it all- the dealer is willing to put his own stock down, even though he can't sell off SVS (probably will if they get CE approval)

I'm just glad I've bought a SVS in case SVS acquire a UK distributor- prices would probably double[​IMG]

14. JohnGil

I own an SVS and im not blind. There is always a bigger fish!

15. Jesse Sharrow

Well thank you guys for being understanding. Is SVS ever going to be sold at retail chains??? I doubt it ... but I think it would be cool. Nah... your right that proably wouldnt be very good.

16. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Has anyone ever compared a VMPS Larger subwoofer with a SVS SS or PB2+? What was the outcome? I know that they are sort of in different leagues, with the VMPS being targeted towards audiophilia and the SVS being targeted towards home theater, but I'm interested in hearing how they stacked up.