What's new

Martin Logan Cinema versus Theater Center Channel (1 Viewer)

Myron

Agent
Which center channel speaker would people recommend to go along with other ML's? I was told by a salesman that the only significant difference between the two was the amount of dispersion was greater on the Theater. And that the theater was better for larger rooms.

Is there in people's opinions, enough technical difference between the two speakers to justify the roughly $1000 difference in price between the two? And can someone hear that difference easily?

There is a big difference between the two. . .the smaller one has 1 tweeter arrays, the larger one has 3. That $1200 upgrade is the biggest you can make in all of Martin Logan . . .I've heard the big one on dedicated home theatre system room (Prodigys in front, and Scripts to fill out 7.1) . . .versus the smaller one with Ascents and Scripts around. I have to say that the vocals on the larger one (I always forget the name of the larger versus the smaller) are much better than the smaller. . . I'd get the larger one and Aeon in the front than the smaller one and Ascents . . . if you can fit that monster somewhere (mostly seen the wall bracket) get it, it's worth it.

Miles_W

Second Unit
I think that this is all very room and system dependant. What are you using for your L/R and what are your room dimensions?

I believe that originally Martin Logan made the cinema to match Aerius/ SL3's /scenario/ scripts( or what would be Aeon/Ascent...) and the Theater to match their larger speakers.

Having said that the Theater is a better sounding speaker...

Miles

Myron

Agent
I have AEON for L/R right now and scripts for surround. The room is 18 wide by 23 long by 10' high with complete opening at the opposite end from the fronts that opens into a space 23x27x10. Generally we sit about 12-14 feet from the fronts.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Your room is more than large enough to support the theater... If you go that way you'll be covered when you swap the Aeons to the back :D
Miles

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with Miles. If price is not an issue then go with the Theater. I have a Cinema with a pair of reQuests and I think its a great speaker but I get the sense that it is straining at times. It was all I wanted to spend on the center. But given a choice I would definitetly go with the Theater, or a used Logos (which I tried to find).

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks