martin logan center channel speaker-which?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by darron Z, Jul 22, 2003.

1. darron Z

darron Z Stunt Coordinator

im in the market for a quality center/ ive heard alot about the martin logan as quality center channel . ive got 2 options; one is a perfectly used LOGOS for 1200.00 ,the other is a perfectly used THEATER model for 1600.00 - are these good deals? which would you prefer ? i dont have the oppportunity to listen to them ,as i live nowhere near a showroom . need expert advise! thanks

2. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Agent

I've heard the ML centers and was disappointed. Certainly not on par with their floor stander IMO.

I own Maggie 1.6's and was looking for center speaker to match these. Of course the new Maggie CC-3 is a good match, but I was not blown away by it either.

I ended up with a B&W Nautilus HTM-2 and am very pleased. I asked around and found many planar speaker owner were using the B&W center, so I gave it a try and couldn't believe how well it matched.

YMMV, but something to consider?

3. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

Either one are great sounding speakers. They do not sound boxy like conventional centers nor are they plagued with off center dropouts like the mtm designs.

Side by side comparison, the Theater sounds a 'nth' degree clearer than the Logos. The Theater has a true open design whereas the Logos Panel is semi-enclosed. Also, the Logos has its woofer behind the panel; not much to my liking.

Looks wise, the Logos is the winner. Kind of looking like a grill from a Freighliner.