What's new

Martin Logan Aerius i w/ Denon AVR-5800 (1 Viewer)

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
I found a pair of Martin Logan Aerius i's at a local Hi Fi store that were in excellent condition. They were a display/demo pair that they never sold. I have read good reviews on these electrostats. What would be a good price to pay for these speakers? Also, since these speakers are rated at 4 ohm,would they be safe to use with my Denon AVR-5800 receiver, or should I use a separate amp? If I should use a dedicated amp which amp do you all recommend?
Any input would be much appreciated.
Seth;)

RichardH

Supporting Actor
It would be a good idea to use a separate, robust amp for those speakers. Sorry, don't know about prices on those.

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I went ahead and bought the Martin Logan Aerius i speakers. I got them for $1,000. All I can say about the sound of these speakers is WOW!! The detail and soundstage is amazing! I was already familiar with electrostats,having already owned Martin Logan Scenarios, which were used as mains before I got the Aerius i's. Now i'm using the Scenarios for surrounds. The Aerius i's blend very well with the ML Cinema,a lot better than the Scenarios did.
The Aerius i's sounded great with my Denon AVR-5800 receiver. The sound went from bright(w/the scenarios)to rich full sound with the Aerius i. The Denon did a commendable job driving the Aerius i's with ease. Before I got the speakers I called Denon and talked with a technician about using 4ohm Martin Logans with the AVR-5800. He told me the AVR-5800 would have no trouble driving the Logans. He was also happy to report that there were many Martin Logan owners using the Denon. This put my mind as ease somewhat, but just to be sure I also contacted Martin Logan. I talked with one of their tech's and he said the AVR-5800 would work fine with the Aerius i's.
The sound quality with the Denon AVR-5800/Martin Logan Aerius i's was quite impressive, but there was always the question if using a dedicated amplifier would sound even better. So just for kicks I went to 3 different Hi Fi stores in my area looking for a high quality 2,3, or 5 channel amp. I auditioned Rotel, Adcom, Sonance, and Sunfire. The Adcom and Sonance didn't make much of an improvement. So my choices narrowed down to Rotel and Sunfire. I had a difficult time choosing between the Rotel RMB-1095 and the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature II. I finally decided on the Sunfire. The manager said the list price on the Sunfire was $4,000. And since the Signature II was just discontinued(Sunfire is introducing a new Cinema Grand)the manager let me have it for $2,395.
I couldn't get home quick enough to try it out. Once all was connected and I played John Fogerty:Blue Moon Swamp, the difference was night and day! This amp kicks butt!! I highly recommend this amp for Martin Logan owners looking for an excellent amp that blends well with electrostats. While others have said that the Sunfire didn't sound good with box speakers, I feel that they excel with Martin Logans.

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to add that anyone that is using a Denon AVR-5800 w/4ohm Martin Logans should not feel in any way that they "have to" upgrade to a separate amplifier. The Denon will more then handle the load of Martin Logans. If I hadn't gotten such a smokin' deal on the Sunfire I probably would of kept on using the Amps in the Denon. The only difference I noticed was an improvement in sonics and punch(and at 850 watts @ 4ohms it had better).

John Royster

Screenwriter
Seth,

Glad you like your Aerius. Believe it or not they were designed to run well with receivers...not being the power hogs of the other models that truly need a big amp. I too have heard good things about sunfire and ML.

Does your signature have both current and voltage outputs? If so try it with the voltage outputs. Maybe even bi-wire with the current source going to the woofer and the voltage source to the ESL panel.

Just for kicks I took off the back of my reQuests last night just to check out the crossover and woofer. Lots of big beefy capacitors/hand wound coils and a VERY stout 12" woofer.

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Thanks for the reply, it's nice to talk with someone who owns Martin Logans. Yes, this amp does offer current and voltage outputs. I do have the Aerius i's bi-wired,but their connected a bit differently. I have the current source output going to the ESL panels, and the voltage source going to the woofers. I do have the center connected to the voltage source out though.

Do you use a Sunfire Cinema Grand in your setup? If so, what are your thoughts on voltage out's vs current out's for the ESL panel? How do you like your reQuests? And one final question, i'm using Monster Cable Z series cable for the speakers, what do you think about this speaker wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks