What's new

Martin & Lewis: Volume I June 13 (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Davisdvd.com has announced the Martin and Lewis Collection: Volume I from Paramount on June 13: THAT'S MY BOY, SAILOR BEWARE, MONEY FROM HOME, THE CADDY, SCARED STIFF, JUMPING JACKS, and a reprise of MY FRIEND IRMA/MY FRIEND IRMA GOES WEST.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

stated that all are remastered, the artwork is great, just makes me wish that they owned more of there properties that universal now has control of, instead of DVD-18 you get single disc for each feature, consider at least one of these sold already!!!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
What, no 3-D version of MONEY FROM HOME? I'm so shocked!

I've been able to see the film twice theatrically in recent years in the original dual projector polarized 3-D form, and truth be told I found it to be one of the more umimaginative examples of stereoscopic cinema I've seen. It's not just a lack of gimmicky shots, but rather the fact that most scenes didn't seem well staged for the natural depth the process provides. All in all, I think this one suffers less than most 3-D movies when flattened out for home video. I don't think it had much of a 3-D release in the 50's either, though I do have a nice half sheet poster proudly proclaiming it was the teams first Technicolor and 3-D film.

JohnPM

Second Unit
Haven't there been problems transferring 3-D to the DVD format? Seems I'd heard of efforts along those lines, and the difficulties in getting the effect to work properly.

Link deleted by moderator. See HTF Rule 7.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Even though he owned a Stereo Realist camera, Jerry Lewis was not particulary pleased to have to film this movie in 3-D. He said the extra lights required for both 3-D and the 3-strip Technicolor camera made the set an inferno. They couldn't go for too long a take before everybody started sweating. You can see several shots in the film where Dean's hair looks like he just stepped out of the shower!

However, I still enjoy it in 3-D and it's too bad it can not be released in a field-sequential edition.

Also, both THE CADDY and SCARED STIFF were originally released with full stereophonic sound. The 3 track audio was on a separate roll of 35mm magnetic full-coat which was interlocked with the picture. Unfortunately, those tracks are long gone.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I imagine volume 2 will include Living it Up, Three Ring Circus, You're Never too Young, Artists and Models, Pardners and Hollywood or Bust.

That would leave out The Stooge (single disc release) and At War with the Army - which is a public domain title, and I believe Turner/WB has the original 35mm nitrate elements.

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
Finally! Thank you Paramount. I'm sure the later releases will be on Volume 2- "Artists and Models" and "Hollywood or Bust" are my top two favorite Martin & Lewis films. Of the Volume 1 films, I'm looking forward the most to "That's My Boy" and "Scared Stiff."

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Interesting to note that all of the titles which I mentioned would probably be in volume 2, are widescreen. They were presented theatrically in either 1.66 or 1.85.

Think we'll get widescreen transfers?

Also, for what it's worth, Circus, Young, Artists and Pardners were originally in Perspecta stereo sound.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Count me as a little nervous about this. It is about 5 1/2 weeks before June 13 and I don't see it listed on any online sites that I use. Could Paramount to planning to release it later in the year?

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Paramount has been acting really weird with their classic releases. They announced a bunch of noirs and John Wayne titles from Republic catalogue that were delayed indefinately. Their Batjac titles were delayed from December to June. They've been ignoring their classic catalogue except for TV shows and special editions of titles available previously. And now this boxset is MIA at most retailers. Seems like Paramount is too busy redesigning old covers or they just ran out of films to release.

howardWB

Grip
I've always been a big fan or Martin and Lewis. Very glad to see their movies finally coming to DVD. Though on this box 3 titles are already available from
Paramount so I'm holding off until the first box arrives. Their early movies
are good, frentic and different for when they started, but don't scratch
the surface of their Colgate Comedy Hour shows. I felt they notched it
up by "Living It Up" with the only miss-step, "Three Ring Circus". Their
work with Tashlin and even "Pardners" written by novelist Sidney Sheldon (if I'm correct--working from memory here)are the highlight of their film
career as a team (imho). I'm excited about Martin and Lewis getting
the treatment they should and will be first in line on release day to purchase the first box set.

I also would love to see a 2nd installment of the missing Jerry Lewis
solo films.

Regards,
Howard
:)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

The same thing happened with their Republic titles and the John Wayne double features. There seems to be something screwy with their DVD division.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Among the majors, only Warners and Fox seem to be doing anything substantial with their classic catalogs this year. Have those two so dominated the classic market that Paramount, Sony et al have determined it's not worth competing??

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Not worth competing? Don't you remember the tremendous libraries that Paramount, Universal and Columbia (now that they've acquired UA) have?

It's politics. And when the cycle starts over, those who are in charge will be replaced. Eventually, I'm sure we'll see all of these great films on video. We'll just have to wait a little longer.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I do remember. Maybe I didn't make my point clear: What I meant was that the execs felt it wasn't worth competing because they weren't selling as many units as they'd like either because of competition from Warners/Fox or because of other factors (high price point of Sony product, poor quality of Universal discs, etc.)

There are tons of material of those respective vaults that I'd love to have.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Apparently the Paramount tv division seems to know what they are doing. They have released a steady stream of classic tv shows. It looks like it's the movie division that doesn't have its act together.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys aren't going to like this.

According to a sticker being placed on the back of the
current Movies Unlimited catalog...

The Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis Collection #1 has
been canceled by Paramount Home Entertainment

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks