What's new

Martin Landau Passes Away at 89 (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately we get a two-fer today.

His résumé includes 'Mission: Impossible,' 'Tucker: The Man and His Dream' and 'North by Northwest.' It does not, however, include 'Star Trek.'

Martin Landau, the all-purpose actor who showcased his versatility as a master of disguise on the Mission: Impossible TV series and as a broken-down Bela Lugosi in his Oscar-winning performance in Ed Wood, has died. He was 89.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
He had many good film roles but to me was especially great and memorable from those 1st 3 seasons of Mission: Impossible. I still need to watch his 70s series Space: 1999. It's a show that I've just never gotten around to trying.

R.I.P.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One of my favorite Mission:Impossible actors. I remember being mesmerizied as a 10 year old watching the magic of him peeling off the villian's face during the M:I eps. i tried to catch any appearance of his and was pleased when our local channels picked up the first run broadcast of Space:1999 - even if the stories didn't appear to make sense. I was a teen before I saw his amazing turn in North by Northwest. That role helped make that a personal favorite. Such sad news.

Thanks for the memories you have provided me with. Think I need to watch his sympathetic appearance in The Outer Limits as "The Man Who Never Was"!

Condolences to his family. RIP

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw this announcement on the net early this evening and was so sad about it. He was such a versatile actor (just loved him in Mission Impossible on television). Thoughts go to friends and family.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Landau's performance in Ed Wood brought a humanity or sympathy to Bela Lugosi. Probably all but the most ardent monster fans looked at Lugosi as just Dracula and thanks to Landau's performance and the movie, they now see him as a person.

Needless to say, Martin Landau had a huge body of work but as a big fan of The Twilight Zone, I'll always remember his supporting role in 'Mr. Denton On Doomsday' and his lead role in 'The Jeopardy Room'.

What a lousy day.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I guess he was known for a lot of TV appearances. I'm thinking more "Ed Wood" though

I'm sure the moderators will determine if the threads should be combined or not.

It's a toss up between North by Northwest or The Man Who Was Never Born or one of his Twilight Zone and Space: 1999 or Mission Impossible episodes to watch.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Yes sad news! Always gave a good performance - enjoyed him particularly in Mission Impossible and also Space 1999. Deepest condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Regards,

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
RIP Martin Landau

That day I watched Space 1999: War Games
15195.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics