Martin D16GT acoustic guitar is on the way!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlo Medina, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Woo-Hoo! I just ordered a Martin D16GT (Gloss Top) acoustic guitar online and it is on the way! Expedited 1-day shipping from UPS should have it in my house by Friday (it was ordered from NJ so it won't ship out until tomorrow).
    I am on pins and needles. I tried out a DM and a D16GT at a local guitar center and fell in love with both guitars. I was prepared to pay $800 for the DM (the D16 retails at $1225 and was going to really cost $1000) but the place I found online is an authorized dealer and sold me the D16 for $799. With 1-day shipping and a Korg GA30 chromatic tuner my net cost was $883, which is just a hair more than I was going to pay for the DM! For those not in the know, the main difference between the DM and the D16 is a gloss finish, solid mahogany sides and back as opposed to laminate, and Martin's famous scalloped bracing, all in favor of the D16 over the DM.
    Couple the savings with the lack of service Guitar Center gave me (basically ignored for a while, then hassled by a guy when it was obvious I was seriously looking to buy, trying to foist every little thing on me and telling me what was and wasn't better, not asking for my opinion on anything or my style of play, then when it was obvious I wasn't buying that day I was again unceremoniously ignored), I'm very happy I purchased this online.
    The store I bought from is www.music123.com - their sales staff is very friendly (Angela was a tremendous help to me), their prices are great, they are authorized dealers for everything they sell, and they have a 30 day full-satisfaction guarantee/return policy.
    Can't wait until Friday. Oh, and I paid $60 for 1-day, as far as I could tell their regular UPS shipping is free, so if you can wait, you can save $60. I couldn't because I have a friend coming in from out of town on Saturday to jam and I wanted this guitar here by then.
    Now I'm praying UPS doesn't absolutely destroy my package.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

You'll never regret it. I've never regretted buying my D-15, and I'm secure in the knowledge that if it ever needs any repairs as long as I'm alive, Martin is paying.

You can't beat that warranty. The Martin luthier that fixed my dad's D-35 said they even have a procedure so that if the owner is on life support (or otherwise alive but unable to sign the papers) you can still get their guitar repaired...crazy.

I agree with you about Guitar Center...they've never seen a dime of my money. I did buy a mandolin online at folkofthewood.com, and UPS took great care of it, so don't worry. Just make sure you've got a 9V battery for the tuner, a new set of strings, and an instant dinner. You aren't going to want to leave the house for a while.

3. Carlo Medina

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

My wife's uncle supplies the wood for Martin Guitars. His business is based in India.

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

The '16 is a fine instrument. While most Martins are a bit warm-sounding for my tastes, I love their necks and overall quality.

In a related story, one of my good friends is a Martin dealer, and he lets me play everything he stocks. He ordered a Jim Croce model and all of us were standing around drooling when that thing came off the truck.

Martin's repair policies and abilities are just insane - in a good way. My friend is telling me stories all the time about people whose grandparents have died, and they find an old Martin under the bed. These people will send it in and it'll come back from Martin looking and playing like brand new. Martin is just a classy company all the way.

Someday, when I stop buying drums, guitar effects, HT gear, and performing house renovations, I would like to own a real quality guitar.

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I just picked up a DX1, with hard case and tuner, for $350. I just love the Martin sound- it is unmatched, even on the low end.
    Now, if I could just play worth a damn![​IMG]

7. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

Carlo, it seems we have both been in a similar situation recently. I too just purchased a new guitar. I too had a friend from out of town (this past weekend) in for a long overdue visit and needed my new guitar before he arrived. Only difference is that my new instrument is an electric. A beautiful Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster in cherry sunburst; a veritable work of art! Plays like a dream! [​IMG]
    And what did my friend have the nerve to do our first jam session? Why he took MY new baby and stuck me on his Mexican Tele! [​IMG] Some people! [​IMG][​IMG]
    As far as acoustics go, the only Martins I've been fortunate enough to play both belong to my uncle. One is a Bicentennial model (D-76 perhaps?) and I don't recall the other but it had a pickup. Sweet playing guitars! Play like electrics. I'll have to settle for my Fender acoustic cutaway for now. One day I'll either inherit the aforementioned Martins (hopefully) or buy one myself eventually.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Carlo, enjoy your guitar. Martins aren't my personal favorites (I prefer Taylor and Tacoma personally), but I recognize that their quality and they certainly are "classic".

9. Carlo Medina

Philip,
    I too love Taylors, but my pocketbook does not. [​IMG]
    FWIW, I think the D16 is a nice blend of the mellowness of the dark wood series from Martin (the 15 line, which I think sounds too mellow) and the overall brightness of a Taylor, which I like very much. I find it's easier for me to sing with the tonality of the 16 line than either the 15 line or the Taylor 314 I've played with (every other Taylor I tried was out of my price range).
    I'm not a big Tacoma fan, but maybe I haven't played the right ones...
    Oh, and my friend coming over has a beautiful Taylor, I don't know the model number but it lists at something like $2800 - he's Band Quality as far as his ability. He also used to work for a Sam Ash and was a close friend of the manager, so he got the guitar at just a hair over what it cost the store to get it, something like $1450. I drool every time he brings that instrument over.
    Heinz, I love the feel of Fender Strats! I have an el-cheapo Epiphone Les Paul and the nexk is too narrow for me. I love the feel of a Fender neck. When I get ready to purcahse a new electric (many years from now or my girlfriend will castrate me for spending this much cash) I'll definitely be giving Fenders an audition. And why didn't you hit your friend when he tried to pry your new baby from your finger? [​IMG]

10. Carlo Medina

Oh yeah! I just called in at work to tell them I wasn't coming in today. UPS's site says it's already been received at my local hub and is out for delivery today! Music123 used 1 day saver which only guarantees next day delivery if your package is shipped by noon or 1:30 local time. Mine was shipped out of NJ at 5:02PM last night, and is now in CA and on its way to my house! Now if only UPS will deliver it safe and sound. [​IMG]

11. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Just remember, if you run out of sheet music, there's always OLGA (www.olga.net) to jam along with.
    Nothing worse than the Big Brown Wait. Every diesel powered truck that drives by your house quickens your pulse, only to prove disappointing. I went through it with my SVS, its awful.
    The only reason I chose the 15 over the 16 (or D-1) was the punchiness that that raw wood exhibited. At the time I was playing a small venue, and I didn't want to have amplification (most low-end acoustic pickup setups are awful), so the 15 had the voice and volume to project.

12. Carlo Medina

13. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

It is rosewood. He has a huge business. The nice thing about having an export business in India is that it is 100% tax-free.

14. Carlo Medina

^[email protected]%C*^@%ZB*&QZ(_*@#^)*!~Z~!!!~
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Got my Martin, unpacked it (music123 seemed to do a good job of it) and took it out of its case. First thing that alarmed me, sounded like something was rattling around in the guitar. So...I look it over top to bottom. At the back/bottom of the guitar is a huge dent/crack. Looks like someone held the guitar by the neck and dropped it straight into the ground.
    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    I call music123 and they are very helpful. They inform me UPS will pick it up either Monday or Tuesday and ship it back to them, then they will ship me a replacement.
    But I HATE UPS! Man, can't they take care of anything? Music123 looked like they packaged it UPS-proof, but apparently that was not the case.
    It's still playable, and I'm going to use it this weekend, but man am I frickin' BUMMED!

15. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

I'm cryin' for ya man!
    I don't trust UPS with a guitar unless it is in an original hardshell case.
    They weren't able to bust up my Fender Am Dlx Fat Strat or Hamer USA Special w/P90's shipped in OHSC.
    I don't mind having damaged HT gear, but don't trash a beautiful instrument UPS.

Heinz,
    Nice color on the Strat!
    I have the transparent crimson.

16. Carlo Medina

That's the kicker! It WAS in its original hardshell case! I don't know how it could have happened!

At least it's playable and since UPS won't be by to pick it up until next week, I can still use it when my friends come on Sunday.

17. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

Carlo, I'm real sorry to hear about your misfortune. That's definitely a MAJOR gaffe on the part of either Martin, the store, or (most likely) UPS. When you pay this type of dough for an instrument you expect a virtually flawless specimen right? I mean, a hole in the back? WTF?!? Even though I'm sure Martin will replace it for you that really doesn't help with friends coming now and you having a damaged instrument to use! [​IMG] Still, I can't imagine that store knowingly shipping a damaged guitar, you know?
    I love my new Strat! Let me just say that I LOVE Fender Strats, and this was without a doubt the most beautiful Strat I have ever seen. Not only aesthetically pleasing, it also plays exquisitely! From the abalone dot markers to the 'noiseless' pickups (really just stacked humbuckers, but nice[​IMG]!), to the awesome slick action of the maple (gotta be a maple fretboard [​IMG])neck just magnificent! [​IMG] There is a certain undeniable realization when playing this guitar that a $1200.00 instrument beats the shit out of its less expensive bretheren... by a LOT! [​IMG] I'm in heaven!
    As to my friend, well, I just let him play my baby since I hadn't seen him in so long I didn't want to get in a row over it! But I noticed that my friend's Mexican Tele was not nearly as smooth as its American Deluxe counterpart. It felt somehow...clunky, for lack of a better word.
    Scott, how do you like your Fat Deluxe? Nice, no doubt! [​IMG] I LOVE my guitar! Its first and foremost virtue being the fact that it actually inspires me to play better, and learn new things. You can feel the difference.