Martian Chronicles TV Miniseries (1980) & World War III (1982)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin McCorry, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Kevin McCorry

Kevin McCorry Stunt Coordinator

The Martian Chronicles TV miniseries starred Rock Hudson, Roddy McDowall, Bernie Casey, Nicholas Hammond, Barry Morse, Darren McGavin, Bernadette Peters, Fritz Weaver, Gayle Hunnicutt, and an ensemble International cast and sported some excellent visuals of a Martian landscape and colony.
    I have the Fries Video version spread across three VHS tapes and understand that an EP tape with all six episodes was later relased as well as an Image Entertainment LD set.
    Don't know who owns the rights to this one (rumor has it it fell under the ITC banner and ITC's properties are now owned by Carlton Communications) but I'd love to see it on DVD. In any region. PAL or NTSC.
    Another miniseries I fondly remember around this time that also starred Hudson (along with David Soul, Cathy Lee Crosby, and Brian Keith) was World War III. Fox had a dual VHS release of this many years ago. So, maybe Fox has the rights to this title.

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Yeah, I remember this. Unfortunately, due to budget restraints, it was pretty cheesy-looking, but ambitious nonetheless. I'd certainly rent it just to see it in the best possible light. I'm hoping someone does a really fine theatrical feature, sticking as close to Bradbury as possible. He's a tough writer to adapt. The best film version of his work I've seen so far (including FAHRENHEIT 451) was SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...up until the last ten minutes or so. THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES is a great read - very dreamy and atmospheric - and if a great director (and an editor who doesn't feel he has to make ten cuts in every foot of film) could do it justice, I'm sure we would all be in 7th Heaven. Didn't I hear a rumor that there was a screenplay going around?

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I would enjoy picking up THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES on DVD.