1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

martial arts movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Julia, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Julia

Julia Stunt Coordinator

This kicks ass (literally). It’s a compilation of the most brutal martial arts moments from the best martial arts films of all time. OUCH: http://www.maximonline.com/slideshow...m=1&src=gx1146 I was happy to see Onk Bak on that list, I think it’s often overlooked cuz it’s Thai, people forget that it’s not just the Chinese that kick ass. On the other hand, I don’t think Karate Kid needed to be there. When it comes to martial arts us Americans definitely don’t kick ass.

2. CoreyII

CoreyII Second Unit

Hi Julia,

I know that watching someone like Jet Li or Tony Jaa gets you excited (I'm a fan too), but don't be too quick knock Americans. He may be king of the direct to video market today, but back in his short lived heydey Steven Segal was a total bad ass with his akido. It was pretty exciting to watch him catch an opponents punch, lock his arm, and then snap his bones.

And although his action films never quite reached the level of Stallone's, Willis, or Schwarzenegger's, Chuck Norris is the real deal and gets much respect in the martial arts community. Just the fact that he is one of the few martial artist who actually knew Bruce Lee is reason enough to give the man his props.

Another American martial artist who had an even shorter career than Segal is Jeff Speakman who holds several degrees in Kempo. Speakman did a film by Paramount Pictures in 1990's called the Pefect Weapon, it's not a bad little martial arts flick. Speakman is damn good at Kempo.

Oh and by the way Julia, I kid you not when I say this: recently at the hotel I work at, I had the opportunity to speak with some professional stunt men and women. As you know many stunt people are also trained martial artist, well one the men I spoke to gave much credit to Wesley Snipes skills as a martial artist. He also spoke favorably of Jason Statham, but he felt Wesley Snipes was a much better martial artist.

And let's not forget Benny "The Jet" Urquidez, another American martial artist. If you want to see how good he is, then just check out the Jackie Chan flicks Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever.

I can't really defend Ralph Machio [​IMG], but the Karate Kid is still a great film to watch.

3. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Benny 'the Jet' is also in Grosse Pointe Blank

it's one of the best movie fights i have seen

4. Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts Stunt Coordinator

There are some great American martial artists but most American martial arts movies do, imho, suck.

5. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

tyler payne
    Some good movies listed above, but there are so many better ones.

Drunkenmaster holds a special place in my heart, but I think that Drunkenmaster 2 (Legend of Drunknemaster in the US) is superior in the fight choreography.

Some of my other favorite martial arts moments come from

Iron Monkey
    In the Line of Duty 4
    The Once Upon a Time In China series
    Jackie Chans Police Story series
    Enter the Dragon
    Just about any movie that Yuen Wo Ping had anything to do with
    Five Deadly Venoms
    One Armed Boxer

as mentioned above the fights with Jackie and the "Jet" in Wheels on Meals and Dragon Forever are jaw-dropping

and lets not forget the ladies
    Supercop
    So Close
    Heroic Trio
    Yes Madam
    Magnificent Warriors
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I am leaving out some more but there are too many to list.

6. Julia

Julia Stunt Coordinator

I'll have to check this out, it sounds interesting. Thanks! Yeah, Chuck Norris. I could like him if he didn't look like such a tool. I mean, as a woman I'm watching these not only for the kick-ass fighting scenes and serious physical skills, but they have to be somewhat graceful and good-looking for me to really get into it. That's not to say that I'd accept watching the opposite, graceful and good-looking with no skill.

7. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

"Return of the Dragon" pitted Bruce Lee against Chuck Norris in one of the more interesting fights in both actors' careers. (The kitten parallels and hair-pulling are somehow bizarre and badass all at once.)

What that list really needed was some classic Shaw brothers/Gordon Liu films like "Shaolin Master Killer" or "Invincible Pole Fighter". If Karate Kid made it, some exploitation flavor like Sonny Chiba's "The Street Fighter" should also have made it. He might not be the best martial artist, but what charisma! (As opposed to Tony Jaa who is an excellent fighter with bugger all for charisma the moment he opens his mouth.)

8. CoreyII

CoreyII Second Unit

Hi Julia,

Since I'm not a woman, I'll leave the determining of what martial art fighters are good looking up to you [​IMG]. But, I will say that there are some women who dig Chuck Norris's Marlboro Man mustache look and some who don't. As far as grace and skill goes, I personally think one of the classic martial arts moves on the silver screen was in Chuck Norris breakout film Good Guys Wear Black: when Chuck does a flying kick (or drop kick) through the window of an on-coming car and kills the driver. Good stuff.

9. ironmaiden1990

ironmaiden1990 Auditioning

Jessie Li
    I'm a female boxer so my list has some boxing movies also.

Michele Yeoh in Police Story 2
    Carrie Anne Moss in Matrix series
    Michele Rodriguez in Girlfight
    Hillary Swank in Million Dollar Baby
    Kate Beckinsale in Underworld
    Uma in Kill Bill

And I saw a trailer this morning for Fight Night starring a new name Rebecca Neuenswander - she plays an underground fighter - anyone see it yet? Trailer looks good - link is below if you want to check it out.

Fight NightVideo