MARTHA STEWART to host 'Apprentice' Spin-off

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Andrew Budgell, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    GO MARTHA!!

--
    Martha Goes Donald

by Joal Ryan
    Feb 2, 2005, 12:45 PM PT

Martha Stewart has been hired by Donald Trump.

The jailed domestic doyenne will star in a Trump-executive produced Apprentice spinoff for NBC, it was announced Wednesday.

Owing to the jailed part of her title, the show, The Apprentice: Martha Stewart, will debut sometime after its star has been returned to the general population.

"I'm a good friend of Martha," Trump said in a morning telephone press conference. "I've always admired her."

Like original formula Apprentice, the long-rumored Stewart edition will feature its resident billionaire putting 16-18 job candidates through weekly challenges until one emerges as her protégé--and the others are summarily dismissed.

"She is not going to say, 'You're fired,'" said Trump, referencing his own trademark phrase.

Echoed fellow executive producer Mark Burnett, the reality-TV impresario behind the Apprentice and Survivor franchises: "Martha has her own way of doing things."

And although Stewart knows her way around a flowerbed better than Trump, Burnett advised that doesn't mean her show's challenges will revolve around repotted orchids.

"She's a businessperson, and this is a business show," said Burnett.

In other words, said Burnett, it will be "nothing at all" like Wickedly Perfect, the CBS reality series featuring Stewart-aspiring domestic divas. Asked to differentiate The Apprentice from Wickedly Perfect, Burnett snipped: "This is an intelligent franchise."

Burnett said the new show will film in New York and Connecticut where Stewart's media empire is based. (And, no, it won't feature boardroom sessions at Trump Tower.) He declined to say when production would start. He did say, however, that it could start while Stewart was serving out the house-arrest portion of her sentence.

Stewart's five-month stint at Alderson Federal Prison Camp, the West Virginia facility affectionately known as "Camp Cupcake," is scheduled to end in March. She's then to put in another five months on the grounds of her estate in Westchester County, New York.

Stewart, 63, was convicted last year of lying to federal investigators in a stock-sale probe.

Her post-incarceration calendar is filling up fast. NBC Universal and Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia previously announced a first-run syndicated show, to debut in September, which will return Stewart to the kitchens, crafts tables and gardens that were the staples of her long-running Martha Living Stewart Living series.

Casting for the first season of The Apprentice: Martha Stewart and the fourth season of Trump's executive search will be done simultaneously in 27 cities, starting Friday in New York, Detroit and Houston.

The third edition of Trump's Apprentice is NBC's second-biggest show among coveted 18-to-49-year-old viewers, averaging 15.5 million viewers through its first two episodes.

Trump, who has expressed ill wishes for other moguls--namely, The Rebel Billionaire's Richard Branson and The Benefactor's Mark Cuban--who would dare challenge him in prime time, said he and Stewart are teammates.

"I root for Martha to do well," Trump said.

The still-blissful newlywed even had free advice for the reality TV newbie.

"Be prepared to work hard," Trump said. "It's more difficult than anybody knows."

As if jail's been a picnic...

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

As long as she doesn't give out advice on stocks...

3. BrettB

BrettB Producer

It's a good thing.

4. Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    This is going to be just sad! I wonder how many appearances that megalomaniac Trump will make on the show. Can't seem to turn a channel now a days without seeing his mug on tv somewhere!

5. John Mansor

John Mansor Stunt Coordinator

I guess no one is watching this show, but I have found it to interesting. Martha doesn't have a good tag line like "you're fired", but I have enjoyed the deliberations with her daughter and the other person in the boardroom.

6. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I'm watching. I think Trump's show has the more interesting dynamics but whatever.

I really had to [​IMG] for last week's firing. The lady threw out the phrase "fake it 'til you make it" and Martha uses that as an opportunity to not only fire the lady but put in a nice little commercial for her company. I am surprised at the end of her lecture that she didn't turn to the camera, hold up an issue of her magazine and scroll a toll-free number at the bottom of the screen.

One last thought: I think the person with the least amount of executive material is Martha's daughter. If she was a contestant then I think she would be one of the first to go. Martha should hope that she leaves the company in someone else's hands when she finally retires. I'm sure she is a very nice young lady but I see no leadership qualities there.

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Oh, come on. You know she had to be toast when she said to Charles that he could fire her if they didn't win... and then she tried to 'respectfully' take back her comments in the boardroom. I liked Shawn, but she acted like a total cow.

NBC has really made it difficult to watch Martha since they have moved the show to 8pm (where I already watch Lost and Criminal Minds. I've been catching it on CNBC on Thursday nights at 7pm.

Martha's daughter, Alexis, put Paris Hilton to shame in her early days. She was America's favorite rich bitch party girl. The unauthorized biographies Just Desserts(focuses on Martha's personal life) and Martha, Inc. (business) are chock-full o' gossip.

8. John Mansor

I liked how Martha called everyone back to the board so she could fire Shawn. Not sure if it is fair but I thought that was a well-deserved deviation from the standard procedure.

9. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

I would have fired Leslie this week because it was her poor time management that was the core of every other problem. That said, Dawn really did need to go. Her laziness and excuses are not something you want to see in an executive.

10. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I thought for sure Jim was going to be fired this week.
    Maybe it will happen next week. I'm hoping not since its obviously the most interesting storyline in the show.

Anyone else notice that Marcela's Rosemary Lime Vinagrette was picked up by Wishbone but not Bethenny's Aisan Vinagrette? If they were both excellent then I wonder why Bethenny's wasn't added to the product line as well. Instead they have a new Cranberry Walnut Vinagrette flavor.

Also, does Marcela get compensation for the recipe? Maybe the whole team gets a share as well since the recipe seemed to come in part from a collaborative effort?

11. John Mansor

I was glad to see Marcela get a win.

I did notice that they picked up the Rosemary Lime Vinaigrette and to the Asian Vinaigrette. I wonder if that was just a stipulation of the agreement Wishbone had with Martha or the Apprentice TV show. Also, I doubt that Marcela receives any compensation. I am sure they all signed a waiver forfeiting any profits from the show. Still a feather in her cap! Can't be a bad thing to have on a resume.

12. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

i was thinking along the same lines.

marcela giving up her recipe is a good way to get pimped as well. that is why although i work for one i absolute deplore corporations. the grunt people do all the work and the company reaps millions if not billions off of the idea.

pure b.s. and one of the reasons that i started my own company.

13. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

I agree with Martha's reasons for getting rid of David, and I will add one more: he annoyed Merv Griffin, so he was actually detrimental to part of the task. Also, why did Matchstick not get any sort of television connection in the Griffin package? He is best known for his television shows, not for relaxing in Scottsdale.

On a completely different note, I think it would be cool to hear some recollections from Julia. What is it like to see the candidates go in and out of the conference room to their rejection or victory? Which candidate is she rooting for? I could see this working as a five-minute featurette on the DVD.

14. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

If he wasn't fired people would never know he was even on the show. He was so invisible every week and contributed nothing but labor not leadership.

I laughed at him whenever he told the camera about what a good teammate he was and did what he was told. How does he think this is a winning strategy? How does he think this makes him a good executive?[​IMG]

15. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I don't watch the show regularly. But, my wife and kids watch it. I really can't stand that one cocky a-hole who was project manager last night. He was the one who last week was cursing at the supermarket.
    I don't mind someone being a little cocky. But, he is so over the top...to where he is really obnoxious. But, I guess he is good for ratings.

16. John Mansor

Will firing two employees shorten the season? Maybe Martha knew the show was going to be getting bad ratings. Regardless I was glad to see Carrie and Sarah go. That really was a poorly done task.

17. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

Last episode of Trump's version, he fired 4!