Martha Stewart, get ready to decorate that jail cell....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Danny Tse, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Martha Stewart in jail...it's a good thing.

[​IMG]

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I wonder if she looks good in black and white stripes?

maybe K-mart will bring out her jail collection.

"today, were going to make a lovely little cozy for your toilet pan"

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

up to 20 years.. that's two decades of fashion. I imagine she will be great at teaching her fellow cell mates a trade to use when they get out..

(in fact, I thought the case against her was rather crappy, and if I were her, would probably appeal immedialy)

5. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I highly doubt that she will ever see the inside of a cell.

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

While she may never see the inside of a cell... she can never be the CEO of her own company again, if I understand how those things work. Anyone with federal charges and/or a criminal record cannot be the CEO of a publicly traded firm. (No idea if this is 100% accurate...just something I read.)

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    [​IMG]

Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Don't prisoners wear denim or orange jump suits these days ?

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  10. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I just had a chance to read her lawyer's closing comments, and here's the part I think killed him(her):

You were probably looking forward to hearing from Martha Stewart.

How arrogant.

He also finishes by bemoaning the fact that the prosecution gets to give their closing arguments after his. Which is the way it's always been.

I don't want to see Martha spend a lot of time in jail (30 days is enough for me), but I am extremely happy with the verdict. And the fact there were eight women on the jury should immediately quell any claims of sexism.

11. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I'm gonna break out a bottle of my finest red wine to celebrate! Let this be a lesson to the wealthy: YOU ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW!

12. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I think if she wasn't Martha Stewart, no one would be making this a national headline...

If this was a man or some average person, this wouldnt be all over the place...

In a way, I think many are jealous because she is a rich woman so they want the book thrown at her as well as knives and spikes...

It's like Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore... That was a national headling... It was so tragic... But, no one mentioned anything about Michael Douglas and Katherine Zeta Jones... That was just fine... Dude is old enough to be her grandfather and looks half dead...

Although, against Martha... How stupid must one be to do something like this for a measly $60,000 (or was it $600,000) or whatever when you are a billionaire???

Either amount to a billionaire is nothing...

I just dont get it... It's not something I would do... Thats just taking greed way, way too far...

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    After removing some questionable comments from this thread, let's leave political commentary out of this discussion. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ryan, if I understood the charges correctly she wasn't being tried for selling her stock, but just for lying about it to the feds.

How does getting 20 years feel for just lying?

I can see cases coming up in the future where the defense says that - well, the courts have already made an example of Martha, so does that mean I will get less?

Of course, the prosecution can answer - No, the same!

Glenn

15. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

As long as Ken Lay & company isn't sitting in the Big House for the rest of their lives, this, sadly, is not true.

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Very true. CourtTV indicated that when the verdict was read, the stock for her company was halted from trading. Once the trading resumed, Martha lost $100 million dollars. For every $1.00 the share price dropped, she would lose $30 million dollars.

Imagine that, losing $100 million dollars all because she decided to save $50K on her iMClone shares. I guess greed can get the best of us.

17. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I hope this is just the beginning of super rich people found guilty in court. Its a sad state when everyone with some money just gets a slap on the wrist when they break laws while the rest of us can look forward to being prosecuted to the full extent.

Besides, anyone who scoops ice cream and puts the scoops onto a cookie tray and back into the freezer "to save time" is not all there anyway.

18. John Nelson

John Nelson Stunt Coordinator

Todd Hochard wrote:
    Don't think I agree. At this time the government is systematically indicting all of the major players at Enron, Tyco and WorldCom.

Not far away Tyco's Dennis Kozlowski is now on trial for fraud.

Bernie Ebbers of Worldcom got indicted this week.

John Rigas, his two sons, and two other execs at Adelphia Cable are under indictment for conspiracy, securities fraud and wire fraud.

Enron's #2 is copping a plea as the government closes in on Ken Lay.

I certainly share your hopes that these well-dressed, arrogant thieves get long jail terms for their crimes, but the fact is they are being pursued. I hope they don't escape justice, but justice does have them in it's sights.

19. andrew markworthy

Please, I don't want to sidetrack the thread, but could someone explain to us dumb Brits what the cultural significance of Martha Stewart is?

Don't get me wrong - we Brits have heard of her, and we've heard about the court case. But why is she of *such* fascination to Americans?

20. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    That, Andrew, and the facts that (1) apparently in this thread too, most people don't know what she was accused of. I followed this case somewhat closer (just because it attracted my attention in an earlier stage), and I must say that I think (2) she wasn't guilty at all.

I believe she wouldn't have been convicted when tried for the same 'offenses' in your country or mine, let alone based on the testimony of someone who altered his story to make a deal with the prosecutor.

Some comments in this thread seem to echo the comment of a juror, who apparently didn't know what he was judging either (something like "I guess this is a good one for the poor suckers who lost money"). It wasn't about the transaction at all.

This whole case is in no way, whatsoever, connected to the Enron, WorldCom or Tyco cases. One could even argue: not connected to the ImClone/Wacksal case itself, if you see what I mean.

BTW, LOTS of "poor suckers" lost a lot of money now those stocks tumbled so dramatically and without a good business reason.

Cees