Marshall guitar amp (DI out) through HT system?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeremy Hegna, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Has anyone ever done something like this?

Specifically, I have a Marshall DSL 401 tube combo amp.

It has a Direct output that can be run directly in to a PA system. Is there any things to be aware of if I were to run a quarter inch to RCA adapter into my pre/pro?

Thanks and Happy Friday

Jeremy

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

This should work, but be very careful with levels. Home hi-fi / theater equipment was not made for high-level musical instrument playback. You can probably destroy your power amps and speakers if you get too crazy with gain.

3. Jeremy Hegna

LOL...that is what I was afraid of.

So how do you gauge too much gain, master volume, reverb, etc. This is a full tube combo, and my HT is all solid state....Denon 5800-->Krell amps-->Mains.

I don't want to break anything[​IMG]

Jeremy

4. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Jeremy, I have to ask ... why? Your combo is going to have a driver that is far more matched to the DSL amp that your HT hear (even thought the latter is high-end).

N

5. Jeremy Hegna

Volume, I suppose.

I was at my local musician's store last night taking a lesson and I hooked my combo up through a 2x12" Marshall cabinet and the sound was phenomenal. 40 watts of tube power is plenty to power the 3 12's. I almost bought the cabinet, but figured I would research whether or not I could run it through my system like a PA.

But you bring up a valid point, considering the Marshall amps use the Vintage drivers that are specifically voiced to the amp.

Maybe the safe route is to add the cabinet for the extra volume and crunch.

Jeremy

6. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

My experience is that adding the additional cabinets usually does project the sound much better. I've seen this in Marshalls and other brands. I remember going from a 2x12 to a 4x12. I about shit my pants at the amount of extra air moved.

Hey, if you have 5 mins, cruise around my site for some geeky band stuff --->

http://www.familywhite.com/neil_music.htm

Regards, Neil

7. Jeremy Hegna

Thanks Neil...very cool site.

My head is only 40 watts, so I don't think I will gain much going for a 2x12 to a 4x12...but as soon as I get this Les Paul nailed, I will treat myself to a nice head and 4x12 cab.[​IMG]

Peace,

Jeremy

8. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

I also had to take a look at the geeky band stuff....looks like The Peabodyz rock! I like it, ZZTop, SRV, the Cult - my kinda guys!