1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Marshall Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Matt Hough, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Matt Hough

Marshall Blu-ray Review
    [​IMG]

An early case in the career of pioneering NAACP lawyer Thurgood Marshall makes Reginald Hudlin’s Marshall worth seeing even if the courtroom theatrics and the drama therein never reaches explosive or truly memorable heights.

[review]

benbess and Todd Erwin like this.
  2. Message #2 of 9 Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    My family was involved in this case. The film character of Ted Lancaster is my maternal grandfather. At the time of this criminal case, he was the President of the Bridgeport, CT Chapter of the NAACP. Though, it doesn't show it in the film, it was my grandfather that got Marshall and the NAACP involved in this case. Also, my grandfather and Marshall attended the same college. Furthermore, my grandfather got the other co-attorney involve in this case for the defense, they attended high school together in Bridgeport, CT. My grandfather was in the same college class as Thurgood Marshall's older brother. When they were seniors, Thurgood Marshall was a freshman at the same college. Also, the poet, Langston Hughes, who's also in the movie was a college classmate of my grandfather. The other attorney in this case, Sam Friedman, was a high school classmate of my grandfather. So you can see the connections between my grandfather and the two defense attorneys. During the trial, Marshall stayed at my grandparents house.

My grandfather, grandmother and my mother as a child appear in Marshall. When I was a kid, I remember meeting Marshall when he visited my grandfather back when I was in 5th grade. At that time, I didn't realize the significance of their relationship nor anything about this criminal case. It was my older sister that consulted with the screenwriter for this film with some background facts. Some of it was used in the film and some of it wasn't. They changed the first name of my grandfather, but used the real names of my grandmother and mother. Furthermore, there was more dramatic license taken in this film.:)

B-ROLL, RMajidi, benbess and 5 others like this.
  3. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Thank you for sharing that, Robert! My wife and I plan on watching this soon and I’m going to share your story with her!

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, I was made aware of this upcoming film back in April, 2016 as my sister was in contact with the film's screenwriter. At that time, I shared some information with the owners/moderators. I had to drive 45 miles to see this film at the nearest theater it was playing. I wanted to see how accurate it was going to portray my family.

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Quite fascinating, Crawdaddy. Thank you so much for sharing this information in the review thread for the film. It makes a great supplement!

B-ROLL likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Thank you for the review. I thought the film was pretty good, but some of the sequences were somewhat strange as Connecticut in that time period wasn't any of the Deep South States. I think you know what sequences I'm talking about, but it did give the film some heighten drama. This was a criticism both, my sister and I shared when we first viewed the film. For sure I'll be watching this Blu-ray more than once.

7. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    This was one of my favorite movies of 2017. I'm sad there are no special features on the blu-ray.

8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, I found that very surprising. True, the film didn't do blockbuster business, but I expected at least some promotional featurettes.

benbess likes this.
  9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The film didn't enjoy a wide release as I don't believe it played in 2000 theaters and probably a lot less. As to no bonus material, it's one of the reasons why I'm going to wait a while before buying this release because I think it's going to be lower than $10 in the coming months.

benbess likes this.