Married By America - Another ratings ploy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Alexander, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

There are more things wrong w/ this than I care to enumerate. These 5 seemingly attractive (some might say formulaic) adults can't find true love and wants America to, in the words of one of the face people in the show, to "hook her up America". Haven't we had enough of this? IMO, this is just another ploy for mega ratings. These people aren't interested in marriage, just face time w/ the hope of more face time and more money. I hope this show fails in the worse way, but I suspect it won't.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Didn't Howard Stern do this already?

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, do your part, and DON'T WATCH!

5. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

Just another ploy by some networks to march the future television stars into your home. They are after those foolish enough to think that these really are just average folks just like them. That anyone can get on tv and have a shot. Truth is, these folks are actors just like the rest who haven't had much publicity yet.
    Used to be they got their start in commercials. These days they do these ignorant "reality" tv shows.

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

None of the people I've seen in the promos seem like anyoen I would set up anyoen I liked with. Somethign was bugging me about them and I think Kevin nailed it.

7. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I watched Joe Millionaire, the one and only reality show I ever watched. I've repented for it and have moved on.

I'm not watching this show, but from the commercial spots i've seen on Fox, why not just hook the male and female in these spots together, problem solved.

Just so you know also we are also not at the bottom of the pit when it comes to these reality shows. I believe far more worse shows and plots are on the horizon. I'm waiting for the day when these shows crash and burn hard.

Paul

8. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Well, do your part, and DON'T WATCH!

But unless you're a Nielsen family, it doesn't affect the ratings.

Yeah, it's dumb, & I'll be watching. [​IMG] Although I don't have much faith in any of the relationships working out, since so far none of the reality shows where people pick their own mate has led to anything long-term.

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

10. Kevin Alexander

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm going to create a separate ongoing "Married By America" thread because this one is obviously a vent against such reality shows, and another thread would better serve those who are enjoying the show as it rolls along.

I am renaming this thread to reflect its bias against the show.

12. Kevin Alexander

That's some smooth editing there Patrick, but you forgot the question mark at the end to reflect a raised question.[​IMG]

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I agree Reality TV sucks and Sucks Hard. It's a 5 min Idea cooked up and produced Cheaply. It hopes to attract those that like the Jerry Springer Nonsense. It's the ultimate shallow mindless drivel, yet the nation tunes in , in droves, as each successive show gets more ridiculous and sleazy. I had just finished watching Boomtown tonite and I was surfing down a few channels to see some idiot gagging for 5 minutes and threatening to ralph by trying to eat maggots and cheese on Fear Factor for $2000 bucks. This is freaking entertainment? This is what people are sitting down with their children to watch. I feel sad, really I do. At least in the 60's we could sit with out parents and watch Star trek, or Twilight Zone or Outer limits. Show that tried with some modicum of intelligence to speak something about the human condition. Or we could laugh with the mindless but good natured antics on Green Acres, Get Smart. In the 70's more relevence crept in With All in the Family and MASH. But still these shows still Had something to say.

You can still find shows that do today, but they are in danger of being cancelled and replaced with this nonsense. It'll only stop when people stop paying attention to it. Are you ready to do so? I've noever given them a second thought.

14. Christopher Bosley

Christopher Bosley Stunt Coordinator

What tv show isn't a ratings ploy? Every show wants you to watch and every show will do what it takes (see NBC's scripted gimmicks, like every natural disaster that hits ER, Third Watch, West Wing, etc.).

The end of reality tv will be the takeover by "fake" Hollywood wannabees who see it as easy face time and shortcut to fame. Joe Mill. has been the worst so far but when people realize that the contestants aren't in it for what the viewers think they are, the whole construct goes kaplooey.

15. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Some day this country is going to wake up and realize how insignificant these so called reality shows really are compared to the real life issues this country will be facing in the future.

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

oh come on, people. "Reality TV" isn't any worse than a sporting event. Hell, we watch teams and individuals lose sporting events on a regular basis, and those people are devastated, but we celebrate the winners (as we should). what's the difference in watching "Survivor" or watching a boxing fight or the Super Bowl (except that the boxing and Super Bowl losers get paid the big buskc)? We're watching because it's unscripted human, emotional drama. The "reality shows" are often edited to create storylines that might not have been there, that's the main difference IMO. But sports journalists do their best to create "storylines" with these "human interest" stories and trying to set up rivalries.

So get off your high horses. If you don't want to watch it, fine. I don't want to watch football, so I don't watch it, but don't give me any grief over "the decline of civilization" and how much better and more superior you are just because you choose not to watch it.

Again, come on... are you saying that "Friends", "The Sopranos", "The Simpsons" or any other scripted show on TV is significant compared to "real life" issues?
    If anything, at least "reality shows" feature REAL PEOPLE. To these people, these shows are extremely significant, probably more so than what the 6th season of "Everybody loves Raymond" is to the cast of that show.

/Mike

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Personally, I think Fox should be banned from ever having anything to do with marriage again [​IMG]

18. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

19. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Maybe us critics of reality TV can breathe a sigh of release today. This is from the Drudgereport.com

20. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer