What's new

Marriage of Figaro SACD (1 Viewer)

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I haven't heard the SACD version (only the redbook), but this an excellent recording of Figaro. The best since Gardiner's early 90s recording.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike, I feel like I can almost recommend this based on postings at Steve Hoffman. This is a current rave of teh audiophile community, not that HM does anything wrong anyway.

I have been looking high and low for it recently but may give up and go to Elusive. They certainly gave excellent advice at their HE2004 booth when they steered me to the new Jacintha bossa nova album. :emoji_thumbsup:

I am also looking for the Miraculous Mandarin by Bartok. Bluebird's Castle by Bartok (Fischer) is at Tower Records by the way and it is very good.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Now that's what I was hoping to hear.

I'll be in Tower @ Lincoln Center tomorrow, so I'll get it if it's there.

I have Bluebeard's Castle as well as the two piano version of Miraculous Mandarin on SACD (as well as Sony's single layer SACD of Boulez conducting Bartok, which I've been meaning to revisit).

Seth--L

Screenwriter

So when you listen to music, do you tune the actual music out, and just pay attention to the sonics? This recording is a great achievement because of a strong cast and direction from the pit.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Why would you assume the audiophiles do not place equal or more weight on the performance?

Most of my friends are about the performance first and foremost.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Seth, I was happy to hear both that the performance is great as well as the sound. BOTH.

There are great sounding recordings and ones that are performed well, so if I can get the ones that are both... you know what, the hell with it, I don't have to explain my listening preferences to anyone.

I'm gonna go back to listening to my Oscar Peterson SACD, which is, oh gosh, look at that- performed well AND sounds awesome! Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks