What's new

Marooned on November 18, 2003 (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite "Space" flicks is coming soon. Details below from "DVD Times":

Marooned

They are trapped in a spaceship with no power. Outside there is no air and no heat. Earth spins 200 miles below. Three astronauts face a desperate situation in this spellbinding science fiction cliffhanger. After completing a daring mission in space, the three-man spaceship Ironman One orbits Earth preparing for re-entry. But a retro-rocket misfires, and the crew commander Jim Pruett (Richard Crenna), scientist/astronaut Clayton Stone (James Franciscus) and pilot Buzz Lloyd (Gene Hackman) are marooned in space. Back on Earth, Charles Keith (Gregory Peck), chief of the manned space program, and senior astronaut Ted Dougherty (David Janssen) plan an incredible rescue — while the whole world anxiously awaits.

The details on this barebones release are final...

* 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
* English DD2.0 Surround
* English, French and Japanese subtitles

Retail is $24.95.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Oh, yes! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

$24.95 is pretty steap, though. Who is distributing this?

It will be great to finally see this film in it's orignal Panavision ratio.

Thanks, Jeff!

Gordy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Columbia Gordon. I've had the WS Laserdisc for years. Check around, you should be able to find a deal online somewhwere.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Nice, to have it in full widescreen at last. And stereo sound.:emoji_thumbsup:

Marooned was released in 1969, a year later in the real world the Apollo 13 astronauts were also marooned in space, spooky!
2001 A Space Odyssey was probably still in cinemas when Marooned was released, instantly dating the new movie's space effects, but Marooned still went on to win that years special effects Oscar, it was also nominated for sound and cinematography, jeez what a trivia freak I am...;)

SteveP

Second Unit
This was the film that opened the Ziegfeld Theatre in Manhattan in December, 1969--the only remaining movie house in New York that remotely resembles the great Roadshow houses of old.

William D Cavender

Stunt Coordinator
The LD was cut three scenes from its theatrical version. I do intend to get this, even though at its best it is terribley edited. Will post my thoughts on the completeness of the DVD version.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
So will they include the MST3K version as a supplement? :)

- Steve

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Cool, I have the WS laserdisc too and it looks terrible. Agree, it is dated, but not a bad flick.

Nelson

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Like MacKenna's Gold, Marooned was intended to be a roadshow presentation but I don't know if it was ever shown as such at least here in the USA. I do have the glossy souvenir program for it though.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Marooned was intended to be a roadshow presentation but I don't know if it was ever shown as such at least here in the USA.
Marooned was roadshowed in L.A. and New York (don't know about other cities). Both the Ziegfeld and Egyptian showed the film in 70mm 6-track stereo (although the Egyptian billed it as "Presented in Dimension 150."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks