Maroon 5

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ben LG, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

What do you guys think about their Song About Jane album? I just happened to catch the end of the This Love video on MTV the other day and my first impression was oh no, not another wannabe pop/rock band. Then I went browsing around on Amazon, previewed and bought the album. Now after listening to most of the songs my opinion on Maroon 5 just did a 180 degree turn. They have a very fresh, funky and melodic sound, the best quote to describe them I think is on Amazon - "The perfect blend of melody and grit." Ok Im done, now back to enjoying the album. [​IMG]

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I really like the single. My sister has the album which I've been meaning to listen to.

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I like some of their sound, kind of funky yet very rhythmic in a good way. The only quips that I have about them is that I CAN'T STAND their singer (he sounds like Barry Manilo singing through a Kazoo) and I think that their album is a little too overproduced. I think that their blend of music needs to come out a little rougher and organic than what their super-slick producing has created. A much better product than the average band coming out today, though

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I think they're much better than most typical mainstream stuff, but their album doesnt have much replay value IMHO. Their sound is unique, but its not one of those you can pop in every other day and not get used to it.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'm sick of "This Love," and "Harder to Breathe" is climbing up the annoyance ladder, both thanks to overplay and popularity (I've heard one of my university's acapella groups perform it a couple times already). I think the last 4 songs are the best on the album, but I haven't listened to it in a while, so I can't remember exactly.

6. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I agree that "This Love" is way overplayed. The other night VH1 and MTV were playing it AT THE SAME TIME! But I love the CD. Reminds me of when Billy Squier was in his heyday.

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Say what you want about the music (I like it personally) but the recording quality is top notch. The CD sounds great on my system.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I like the band because they can actually lay down an organic sounding groove without being compelled to spiral into an 11 minute jam.

Regards,

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I think M5 is one of the best bands (both song and music wise) to come out in a long time. Their songs are melodic and catchy and their playing is top notch. I put this disc in the day I got it and it didn't come out for months. Each song seemed to be a journey in and of itself. There also seems to be a song for every occasion or mood. It's also a great party disc. To me, they are almost like 'N Sync with better songs and a killer band behind them.

I always thought the CD sounded great in my car which is where I listened to it primarily, but WOW I heard so much more when I listened at home. At home, you hear all of the nuances that these guys put into this album. Some say slick and over produced, I say dense and layered. The true test was when I went to see them live. I was convinced that they couldn't pull off many of the tracks on the album. You know what? They did and did it well.

10. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I love this CD. Love the funky sound. Anyone know any other funk sounding bands that you can reccomend?

11. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

Eh i agree that there are about 4 good songs on the cd and a lot of stuff that just kinda blends in. Not horrible but with a few great songs I expected more.

12. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

I think he sounds kinda like Stevie Wonder. Not z'actly like Stevie Wonder, but kinda like Stevie Wonder. If ya feelin' me.

13. George See

George See Second Unit

One thing you can say about Maroon 5 that you can't about a lot of top 40 radio bands now a days they can really play live. I saw them in a teeny tiny little venue years and years ago as one of the first opening bands on a bill that was headlined by Save Ferris and Goldfinger. They totally rocked they really impressed me at that show. Back then they were called Karas Flowers and had a bit of a different sound. Their CD under the name Karas Flowers is pretty good I think better then the Maroon 5 CD. If you like Maroon 5 and you see a CD by Karas Flowers called "The Fourth World" go ahead and pick it up you won't be disapointed. From what I understand that CD has been out of print for a few years and is now about to be reissued no doubt to cash in on the Maroon 5 success.

14. KatieL

KatieL Stunt Coordinator

I love their sound. He does sound a little like Stevie Wonder.

15. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Ding, ding, ding...you are correct! In fact, it's being re-released on Tuesday (5/25). I'll be picking this up fer sure.