Marley, Styx, Skynyrd, Sex Pistols, Megadeath to DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I pulled this out of the above Ziork(sp) review. This is definatley some good news for multi channel fans. Most of the news lately has been 2 channel SACD, so this is a breath of fresh air.

SIDE NOTE: If you are into the DVD-A scene, Silverline Records (a division of 5.1 Entertainment Group) is a label that you will want to watch. They recently completed a deal with Sanctuary Records to release 140 albums in six-channel format, including albums from Bob Marley, Styx, The Kinks, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sex Pistols, and Megadeth.

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Not really - alot of these Silverline DVD-Audio discs have already hit the stores, and I have personally purchased 3 of them, and they are plain TERRIBLE. They give DVD-Audio a bad name.

I have both a DVD-Audio player and a few SACD players, along with over 44 DVD-Audio discs (not to mention over 120 SACDs), and the Silverline DVD-Audio discs that are mentioned are the absolute WORST.

First off - there are no dedicated stereo mixes (but I knew that when I purchased the discs), but the biggest problem is that the 5.1 mixes are terrible and the sound quality is atrocious. These titles are best served by 2-channel CD or vinyl. Silverline can keep their new 5.1 DVD-A releases.

The 3 I bought were so bad, I am NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, going to buy another Silverline DVD-A even if my absolute favorite band is released by them. PERIOD.

3. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

Michael:

What were the 3 titles?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Besides the fact that Silverline does not include discrete stereo DVD-Audio tracks ([​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ), they are not issuing mainstream recordings of many of these classic rock bands. For example, they are not going to release Styx Paradise Theater or Grand Illusion. Generally, they are releasing somewhat obscure live recordings. I don't consider anything coming from Silverline as good news for DVD-Audio. [​IMG] [​IMG] Where's Warner? Sorry. Just my $0.02.

5. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

No need to apologize.

No nothing about Silverline, just finally recongnized some solid rock bands/ Maybe they will step up their efforts in the future.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, I hope Silverline will get its act together. There is nothing wrong with pushing surround sound. However, there is no reason to alienate those who prefer stereo in the process. There is plenty of room on these discs for inclusion of discrete stereo DVD-Audio tracks. On its present course, all Silverline is accomplishing is lost sales. [​IMG]

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit