What's new

Marlene Dietrich, Mae West, Carole Lombard DVD sets on April 4th (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It looks like Mae West and nothing more for me.:frowning:

Thanks again for helping me maintain my budget Universal.

The total amount of money that has not changed hands from me personally is now approaching $1000.:)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Carole Lombard made a very interesting Art Decco horror film called SUPERNATURAL (1933)--it's available on VHS. SUPERNATURAL would be a great candidate for a Paramount Horror Box (via Universal). Other potential titles: THE MYSTERIOUS DR. FU MANCHU, MURDER BY THE CLOCK, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, MURDERS IN THE ZOO, DR. CYCLOPS, THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL, AMONG THE LIVING, THE UNINVITED, THE UNSEEN.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Great idea if Universal actual owns those Classic Paramounts' Not to sure who owns what, look at it this way, Universal made(filmed) My Man Godfrey, but it is nowhere on the Lombard collection, and it was just released in color by Fox, ok that is a bad idea. but really i wonder if Universal is just throwing stuff together with out thinking. Someone said that the wish WB would release all classics, to that i have to say no because then there would be such a back log, Paramount in its acquisition with Dreamworks, should go after it's Classic Catalog and release them or have some part. I know the bottom line is $, that is what it is all about, but really like i said earlier, i would be willing to wait for a great release, Universal needs to look at its past performance, or just look and see that currently it is listed as worst studio in the voting to see that they are screwing up ,and fix it.The could pull themselves out of the bottom and give WB a run for it, if they did things right,?and got it right the first time
The adage that things would be different if i ran it as always apply. Oh where will this go

CameronMcC

Second Unit
universal owns a large part of the classic paramount catalog....they have for a long time.

my man godfrey has many public domain releases running around...

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
My Man Godfrey has a Criterion release that looks excellent. Certainly the one to buy.
But there's another Lombard/Paramount movie that is on now public domain: Swing High, Swing Low, and I am afraid this one will never get a official release by Universal.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
John: Your price after conversion rate is way off. I think you forgot to take off the VAT, which we Americans don't pay.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
SWING HIGH, SWING LOW is actually owned by Fox, because they remade it as WHEN MY BABY SMILES AT ME....

....and they also forgot to renew the copyright.

However, the songs in SWING HIGH are still protected by copyright, owned by Famous Music, the publishing arm of...
PARAMOUNT!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

But I do Laurence, I do :) I'm quoting the recomended retail price for the R2 set, BTW, not the etailers end price. Whichever way you weigh it up, the R2 is expensive...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another one with mixed emotions. The collections and titles sound great but I've had nothing but problems with Universal multi disc sets where they cram all they can onto a single disc. And Universal's packaging is downright ugly (the Brando, Cooper and Francis sets are perfect examples).

DavidBC

Second Unit
I really want to see some art-work. I'm terrified that their going to be some hideous, tacky "Glamour" colours ...

not that that would stop me from buying them!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Kind of curious about that my self, they had something ready the day they announced the DeMille box, that i am all over, all single disc releases wonder why this is taking longer, still wish the would have done these like the Marx Bros, or WC Fields sets thought single disc fore each film, and where the hell is the Colbert set?

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Dana, I think both the Colbert and the Stanwyck sets are coming, since Universal reserved special collections for these two stars in vhs, among the Dietrich, Mae West and Lombard collections.

For the Claudette Colbert collection I would Like to see these movies:
-The Gilded Lily;
-Midnight;
-Zaza;
-Arise, My Love;
-So Proudly We Hail;
-Skylark;
-No Time for Love.

For the Stanwyck set, Universal could use those titles:
-Internes Can't Take Money;
-Remember the Night;
-The Great Man's Lady;
-California;
-Flesh and Fantasy;
-All I Desire.

Double Indemnity not included because would better fit in a noir collection or a Biily Wilder set:
-The Major and the Minor;
-Five Graves to Cairo;
-Double Indemnity;
-A Foreign Affair.

And since we are talking about collections, what about a Lubitsch collecton?
-The Love Parade
-Monte Carlo;
-The Smiling Lieutenant;
-One Hour with You;
-Angel;
-Bluebeard's Eightth Wife.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well we have had the announcement of the DeMille collection and they have already released the artwork, i hope to see some for this sometime soon, and then if all goes well maybe we can see the Colbert's Stanywck's and possibly a Lubitsch collection

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Finally, Mae West on DVD. I see they didn't include "Klondike Annie" though that Image put out a few years back.

Personally, I have had zero problems with DVD-18. I bought the Monster set with figurines and a few others including the Bela Lugosi Franchise and every one plays flawless for me. Maybe there is something going on with progressive scan players or the likes? I have a second generation Toshiba and a cheapie Apex and another budget unit and these movies play fine on all three.

I also noticed that the slightest scratch or fingerprint will cause these DVD-18 discs to go crazy but I give mine as with all my DVDs the "white glove" treatment so... no problems here.

Eric

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Eric,
Thankfully my wife and kids spoil me, own the Legacy sets wonder why they never did one of Phantom, but i have yet to actually get the Lugosi, haven't had to many problems with the DVD-18's but that shouldn't be a concern, if it wont work for everyone, then there is a problem. I think that is the biggest setback, say you are walking through a B&M see something that catches your eye, take it home and it messes up, take it back, replace it, and do it all over again, i think that is where the frustration comes in.personally i think i would have felt better about these as single disc per movie, or i would have been happy with double feature single sided, but we get what they make.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Several years ago at Film Forum's pre-Code Women festival, there were a couple fine Paramount Lombard films on display that would be great to see:

Sinners in the Sun (1932) w/Chester Morris and Cary Grant in a smaller role.

White Woman w/Charles Laughton. Quite disappointed to see that this one did not make the upcoming set.

The ensemble From Hell to Heaven was a bit of a mess.

There was also an excellent Columbia feature with Lombard and Pat O'Brien which appears to have been released by a PD company in 2005 entitled Virtue.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Hopefully Universal will release a Cary Grant box set that includes some early Paramount titles. This would be a good chance to include SHE DONE HIM WRONG (which amazes me that it wasn't included in the Mae West set) and some lesser-known precode gems such as THIS IS THE NIGHT, HOT SATURDAY, and other goodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks