market for custom preveneered enclosures

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geno, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Wanted to know how many DIYers would like it much better if they could get the drivers/tweeters/crossovers purchased, figure out the specs and then custom order enclosures that are already pre veneered. just finish and screw and listen.

any comments?

2. at the right price, I am sure many people would be interested. ..but be aware that there are others that already offer this sercive. Brian Bunge is one that comes to mind for any enclosure. I know Kyle does subs....and there are several others.

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Yes, Brian Bunge and I are in the biz. We've done mainly enclosures for GR Research, but anything is possible. Beware, it's hard to find customers who will pay for a well-done enclosure pair. Good luck and if you get into it, keep us informed.
    http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index

4. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Really its just an idea. I work in a custom wood shop and thought we could do some fun side projects. My shop manager actually asked me to propose that question. me personally, I just like designing them.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Yes, I like to build speaker cabinets (or assembled speakers) for profit. It's a side business at the moment and unfortunately a lot of people want something for nothing. And there are those out there willing to practically give it to them. If I had a large cabinet shop I could knock out cabinets all day long, but then you'd be limited to 1-2 finish options. Custom work just takes more time and therefore costs more. My customers have been happy so far though.

BTW, there are a couple of interesting 8" subs in the works that Hank and I are designing. Just got the drivers in today and will be playing with them in between all the other projects going on.

Brian