mark-up on TVs at retail level? (need for haggling)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricW, Oct 15, 2002.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

what's the markup on TVs? specifically i'm interested in a 36" Toshiba HFX at Futureshop. it's retailing for C$2800 and i was wondering what's the best price i can hope for.

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I don't know the exact markup but I have read that if you can't get 10-15% off that you should walk. Of course this all changes if you are going to finance the item. They seem to think that if you are financing that you are in no position to haggle?!?

*Edit* ps, I just noticed this set is on for $2699 at Futureshop.ca

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Well, at Circuit city and BB, a tv that cost around 3000 is around 1800 at cost.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hey I just bought a 36HFX71 a few months ago. I bought mine from a local high end store (they offer MUCH better service than future shop) and i paid 3200 taxes in. I was happywith that price, i mean i paid taxes in the same as the MSRP and with the 15% sales tax here im not going to complain. Add in the fact that I dont think Future Shop would ahve cared one bit about my geometry problems and such that i had.

5. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

that came with a 2 year warranty, with a 130 dollar option to extend to 50 months.

the absolute only problem i have with the TV is some geometry problems, but then all flat screens have that problem and it can be fixed in the service menu.

so not an issue, and its certainly not a problem you wont find elsewhere

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    From what I've seen, "markup" is about 10% - 30% above warehouse / distributor price. It seems most places have 10%-off sales periodically, so that would seem a reasonable discount to shoot for.

8. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Markup on TVs from store cost varies wildly, anywhere from 0%-40% depending on the TV, but that's a far cry from meaning you can expect a salesman to just knock 35% off your TV because you know what "cost" is. You shouldn't hope for much more than 10-15% off the "regular" price, unless you're looking at a discontinued model or an open-box unit, and if you can get a salesperson to give you close to 15% off it's most likely going to be offered with the requirement that you buy a service plan or some other product.

You'll typically get a better deal overall the more stuff you are willing to buy at once. You go in ready to buy a TV, a home theater setup, a bunch of cables, and a warranty or two, and you'll find your salesperson much more willing to negotiate on price than if you walk in and demand 15% off a naked TV.

Plus, if you take a half-hour or more of a salesperson's time and he/she is helpful in selecting the correct TV for you, you should expect to pay for that time. It is insulting to accept the help and advice of a good salesperson and then walk over price. That's not to say you shouldn't ask for a better price, cause you'll almost always get one, but don't expect a salesperson to drop his pants for you. If you ask the right way, you can get a good salesperson to give you the true best price... one that saves you the most money and that still pays him/her a fair amount for their time and expertise.

9. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

Well Said.