What's new

Mark McGwire has retired from MLB (1 Viewer)

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I was hoping he would at least wait until spring training and see if he was physically able for the upcoming season. McGwire has always been one of my favorite players. It's too bad to see him go out like he did.
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

Jason P

Stunt Coordinator
He was one of (if not the) best when it came to hitting the long ball, but his entire career, especially the last few seasons, has been plagued with injuries. He should have no regrets. He gave us one of the greatest moments in sports history and will always be remembered.
Actually, I'm kinda happy to see him leave instead of clinging on well past his prime, ala Ripken and Gwynn. Now I just wish that Jordan would do the same.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Oh, I forgot to add. I'm glad that I finally got to see him play this year. I went to a game in Chicago and McGwire hit two homer runs that day.
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I was just beginning to think he may start hitting for average :)
Hall of fame first vote!!
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
He was one of my favorite players and I hate to see him retire. I jumped his band wagon back in 1987 when he hit 49 home runs as a rookie. I was hoping that he would play well into his forties and maybe even make a run at Aaron's record, although with the frequency of his injuries, I knew it was very unlikely.
Oh well, there is always Barry Bonds to try and break Aaron's record.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
The Hall of Fame Class of 2006 looks to be quite impressive.
Ripkin Gwynn McGwire
Seems like a good reason for Ricky to try to play one more year. Then he can be center stage in 2007
I agree with the wish that he stayed around for a year to get to 600. He is like Mantle. Capable of hitting 700 homers over a career, but hampered by injuries. Of course, if he had not gone the bionic man route, would have he been the home run animal that he became?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Mark McGwire is one of the classiest athletes that has ever played professional sports. He announced his retirement now so that it would free up money and allow St. Louis to pursue a big name free agent to replace him. He didn't feel like he could produce enough to 'earn' his contract so he retired. He's never been into personal numbers so I'm not the least bit surprised that he retired. An amazing athlete and an amazing man. You'll be missed Big Mac.

Yep, I agree. He may be the best long ball hitter ever. No one seems to think about the fact that he actually AVERAGED over 60 home runs for four consecutive years.
Maybe he'll pull a Michael Jordon!! :)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
He announced his retirement now so that it would free up money and allow St. Louis to pursue a big name free agent to replace him
Looks like it's going to be Jason Giambi. If this happens, look out opposing pitchers.
wink.gif

------------------
Spoiler:One Thousand Words
My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
McGwire's gone!!! That's the best news I've heard all day! :) Now only if baseball would can the Cards instead of the Expos, Twins or Marlins. Well, I'd rather see the Yankees gone first, but hey Cardinals are a close second choice!
------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Yah its because all you losers in Florida are better at golf..
Go play golf!
tongue.gif

Now, St. Louis: That's a baseball town.
I'm gonna really miss Mark.. and he was 3 homers away from shareing 4th place all-time with Willie Mays..
I hope we get Giambi!
Nathan

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
quote: Now, St. Louis: That's a baseball town......
I'm gonna really miss Mark.. and he was 3 homers away from shareing 4th place all-time with Willie Mays..[/quote]
Are all the St. Louis fans so miss informed? Yeah right some baseball town!
wink.gif

Sorry could resist poking fun at St. Louis baseball fans.
McGwire's 583 is 77 HR's behind Mays's 660.
Here are the all time leaders.
Aaron 775
Ruth 714
Mays 660
Robinson 586
McGwire 583
[Edited last by Patrick_S on November 13, 2001 at 03:48 PM]

Russ Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
A sportswriter totalled up all the lost ABs from his injury-plagued seasons (and the strike year) and, by multiplying them times his career HR per ABs ratio, found that if he had stayed healthy he would just now be less than 10 away from Aaron's HR record. I think he would have found the resolve to stay on an extra few months if such had been his circumstances today. He is one of the more one-dimensional acclaimed players in baseball history, but I'm sorry to see it end with a whimper.
I only ever saw him play in person once: June, 1995 at Fenway Park. He launched two home runs over the Monster off a helpless Zane Smith, then a third off some poor reliever.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Whoops,
Thanks for reminding me Steve!
Frank Robinson not Willie.
I really thought he could get to Willie..
Also, being only 20 from 600 homers is heartbreaking..
St. Louis= Baseball AND Football capital of the world :) I'm so spoiled, I feel sorry for all the Chicago Cubs fans who have had unhappy childhoods..

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mark was a nice guy (in his outward media persona) who will be missed. His race with Sosa a few years ago will forever be emblazoned in my memory, unlike Mr. September's feat this year.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
He is one of the more one-dimensional acclaimed players in baseball history, but I'm sorry to see it end with a whimper.
This is B.S. McGwire was also a very good fielder at 1B before his knee injury limited his mobility. He even won a Gold Glove one year.

Users who are viewing this thread