Mark Knopfler DVD - A Night In London

Discussion in 'Music' started by Paul Boyle, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

This concert was filmed in 1996 and contains most of MK's CD "Golden Heart" with smatterings of Dire Straits and his older solo works including Cal & Local Hero
    I believe the concert has been available on VHS previously and I suspect is just a transfer of the VHS to DVD - That said although the DVD is Dolby Digital 2.0 only [no 5.1 of any flavour I'm afraid] the sound is pretty good - The picture is 4x3 full screen which is also a bit of a shame [I'd certainly have preferred 16/9] but it's crystal clear as you would expect from DVD
    The concert itself is excellent with MK on great form - His band includes usual stalwarts like Guy Fletcher & Paul Franklin along with a few "special guests" like Jools Holland & a fantastic guitar player called Sonny Landreth - MK uses a string quartet on quite a few tracks and a stellar selection of traditional Irish musicians on the many gaelic orientated tracks - the final "jam" on Gravy Train with Sonny Landreth is the highlight in my opinion ...
    Track Listing:
    Darling Pretty
    Walk Of Life
    Imelda
    Father & Son
    Golden Heart
    Rudiger
    Cannibals
    Je Suis Desole
    Last Exit To Brooklyn
    Romeo & Juliette
    Done With Bonaparte
    A Night In Summer Long Ago
    Brothers In Arms
    Going Home
    Are We In Trouble Now
    Gravy Train

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Thanks for the review Paul. I will keep my eyes open for this disc as I am big Knopfler fan.

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I remember someone last Fall saying a DVD would be coming, and I guess this is it.

The Walk of Life... Great news!

4. Anthony Connor

Anthony Connor Stunt Coordinator

I like knofler as well. I just bought the CD The Ragpicker's Dress last month.

Thanks for the review.

AXE

5. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Justin - Re the Sonny Landreth albums you mentioned is Knopfler on any of them ? During the concert he mentions Landreth playing on his album & that he played on his [sure enough Landreth is on Golden Heart]
    Listened to the whole DVD again last night [​IMG]

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Cool I'll have to look for this one.

7. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

Wow, I didn't know this was coming out! I love Golden Heart, and am happy to see a DVD from that release. Thanks for the scoop, Paul!