What's new

Mario Sunshine Impressions (1 Viewer)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Since no one has posted any reviews of Mario Sunshine I'll give my impressions. The graphics are good but it's more like an update of Mario 64. The water effects are great, the draw distance is extremely long and the game looks good but your jaw will not drop.

I don't have DPLII so I can't comment on that aspect but the sound is good. This is not Halo so once again your jaw will not drop.

Gameplay wise, the game is fantastic. There is so much to do in each level. There are different parts to each level so you don't stay in the same place like Mario 64. For example in the first level there is a cave for the third sunshine. This is a separate part from the rest of the level.

Overall if you have a Gamecube this is a must buy. If you don't have a GC then you should seriously consider buying the system because games like this don't come along too often. It will not be the kind of game that you beat and just put down.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I'm thinking I should go out and get myself a GC. There are starting to be too many gaming threads I cannot participate in. ;) Plus how can I deny my two-year old son the joys that only a Nintendo Game Cube can provide. I really owe it to him. :b
Chris

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I'm thinking I should go out and get myself a GC. There are starting to be too many gaming threads I cannot participate in. Plus how can I deny my two-year old son the joys that only a Nintendo Game Cube can provide. I really owe it to him.

Chris
Chris go do it. I just did for my almost three year old. Its pretty impressive. I still think I'll get an XBox too but the Gamecube is no slouch either.

Patrick

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Yes it's the Japanese version. I got it on Monday. The only reason I didn't wait was because it comes out here so close to school that I didn't want to get off to a bad start in 3rd year at University :)
Mario and Miyamoto define what games are all about.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
After seeing some of the games coming out for the GameCube, Nintendo is definitely trying to slaughter their kiddie image. First they get the Resident Evil series exclusive to their console up to RE4, then they get a company they own to make Eternal Darkness, and recently Blood Omen 2 was announced for the GameCube.

What's my point? Don't just buy it for your kids, buy it for you, too.

Back to topic, how long is SMS? How many levels have you gotten? How many shines?

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I don't know the number of levels. I have ten shines and four stages unlocked. The second one is really cool because it's like a 3-d Mario World with the fences that you punch and go to the other side. This game really borrow from all the SMB games to make it tie in better than Mario 64. Mario 64 was great but it was more like it was made especially for 3-D and didn't incorporate the usual Mario themes. Another shine in the second level has you doing a Waverace type race through a canal with stuff to avoid. There are no tricks though.

I forgot to add that the control is a little awkward. The camera stick makes controlling the game like Halo because the camera does not pan with you quickly. This means you have to use both joysticks to get the best view. However you usually don't end up with a bad view ala Sonic Adventure 2.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Elliott, I'm officially one big jealous mess right now!:frowning: :D
For the hell of it I pulled out my Mario All Stars cartridge today (and the good old SNES) and played through the first 2 worlds of Super Mario Bros. 3. The anticipation for Sunshine is killing me!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
For the hell of it I pulled out my Mario All Stars cartridge today (and the good old SNES) and played through the first 2 worlds of Super Mario Bros. 3.
Heh. Completely unrelated to SMS, my wife & I have been playing lots of Mario 1 & 2 on the original NES.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
For those who are contemplating a gamecube and aren't in a hurry, Nintendo will be offering a tempting bundle come Oct. 14th. Details below.

" In a preemptive strike towards owning this holiday season, Nintendo has announced that it will be selling a bundle to include an indigo-colored GameCube, Super Mario Sunshine, and a Memory Card 59 for an MSRP of $189.95. Gamers will be able get their hands on this steal this coming October 14, 2002. No doubt Nintendo knows its flagship Mario title will push hardware, and this is an aggressive effort to convince people there's plenty of good reasons to pick up the next-generation system. If you don't own a GameCube, this will be a very good time to buy."

I'm in no hurry with the gc, so October 14th looks like when I'l be picking one up.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Hey, that comes out on my birthday! Oh, wait... I already have a GameCube. Shucks.

So when can we expect to hear about the game getting insanely difficult, Elliot?

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
So far there are a couple. One level is like the platforming levels you had to do before you faced Bowser in Mario 64. It has a guy's voice and some electronic sounds doing the music from the first level of Mario 1. Otherwise there are some sound effects which are similar. I don't have the system in my main HT now so I have not focused on the music yet. Tonight I'll hook it up. I can't wait to see progressive scan too.

Morgan, so far the game has had some difficult moments. However, Mario has so many techniques that you have to look around and think about how you can get somewhere or do something. I have not gotten to the levels that are insanely difficult but I will let you know. The hardest parts are the platform areas. The camera really shows its worst during those levels.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
It's a very fun game. The levels are big so you can run around and do stuff, especially the overworld. However you can't just do anything at anytime because each level has eight stories. This means that if you by chance are in the location of the sunshine from story one but are playing story 2 then you can't get the sunshine from one again. However you can replay each story.

I haven't even found Yoshi because I'm having so much fun getting every sunshine story done in each level first.

Robert Standefer

Stunt Coordinator
Elliott, did you have any trouble playing the game seeing how the denizens of Dolphic Island only speak Japanese (other than the cutscenes)? F.L.O.O.D. keeps talking to me but I don't know what he's saying; ditto for the townsfolk.

-Rob

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
The Japanese does make it difficult. I am planning on beating the game with as many sunshines as I can get and then looking at something like a walk-through to see what I missed. Otherwise I haven't had too much trouble so far.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Talking about Mario Sunshine, here's a good deal for the Canadians amongst us:
Link Removed

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just listened to the music, GOD DAMN!
I'm SO sold!
I love that Warp Zone music!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks