Mario, Metroid, & Starfox - Wow!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

We're having a corporate meeting in NYC this week and I had the opportunity to play these new offerings from Nintendo (Starfox was the Rare title as opposed to the forthcoming Namco game).

I only spent about 15 minutes with each (sorry guys, got work to do!) but was extremely impressed with the polish evident in each title.

You can immediately pick up Mario and just go. The water attachment has two modes (to shoot enemies & to hover). I have no doubt this one will appeal to Mario fans (even though it doesn't appear to be the revolutionary title Mario 64 was).

Metroid was phenomenal. The controls surprised me when I learned you don't use the "C" stick (unlike Halo). Instead of using the "C" stick to look up you use a "target" button which automatically targets nearby enemies. The graphical effects are fantastic and the overall graphics are perfect. Is it as pretty as Halo? Yes & no...there are areas where it's obvious the GCN doesn't push as many polygons...you can easily see seams in polygons where Bungie did a better job with complex models or hiding the polygons in Halo.

Metroid stole more of my time than Starfox so I didn't really get into the play mechanics of what appears to be a great game. These are the best graphics I have yet seen on the Gamecube. If I had to be picky about the graphics I'd point out that the distant backgrounds are 2D bitmaps (as opposed to a seamless 3D world). Only the items near your character are actually 3D. While that may sound bad it really took nothing away from the stunning visuals...it's well done and most people probably woudln't know it. This appears to be a deep game as I didn't get anywhere near far enough to really do much...still, it looked very promising.

I also got to play around with a new Gameboy device that I don't know if I can talk about yet. I haven't read anything online about it yet so I'll wait until I do until posting my opinion. It's cool though.

Played a couple new PS2 games too...don't remember any titles as none really impressed me (especially after the excellence in the Nintendo area).

I played so long in the Nintendo area that I missed the Xbox demos. By the time I got over there all they were showing was basic Xbox Live demos. Nothing impressive (sign-on screens) yet. One nice feature will be the ability to IM a friend even if he's playing a different game. Maybe that's old news but I missed it if it was.

That's all I remember right now. Hope this was somewhat helpful.

2. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Of course it is!! I, for one, always appreciate your info,& respect your opinions...
    BTW...how did you like Times Square???
    (sigh) I'd say I'd best get myself a Christmas job...
    Gotta pay for all this somehow!

Thanks,
    Calvin

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Can't wait for Metroid..
    -Andre F

4. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

did you sign a non-disclosure agreement? if not, then please tell us all about this gameboy device.

5. Shaun Gonzalez

Shaun Gonzalez Auditioning

Was the GBA device the E-Card reader?

6. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I had exactly the same impression at E3 this year. These Nintendo titles just had "PLAY ME!!!" written all over them. There were SO MANY great games for the PS2 and XBox; but these Nintendo titles were the ones that stuck out in my mind.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Lucky you Camp!
    Mario is so so close and the anticipation is really building for me personally. I'm trying to get through Enclave right now before the 26th so I can concentrate on the little plumber[​IMG].
    Metroid is the next biggie after that. Starfax looks interesting but I'm really really looking forward to playing Samus again.

8. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Thanks Camp! I've been seeing a bunch of commericials for Mario as of late and I am really looking forward to it. I'll have it for a whole 2 weeks before school starts!

It's good to hear that Metroid appears to be on track.

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Actually, I can't wait for Mario!!!

10. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor