What's new

Mario Kart: Double Dash to ship with system to system Broadband support (1 Viewer)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting news. Does this mean they have programmed the game to fully support online play, or just LAN?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If there's LAN, im guessin its only a matter of time before somebody sets up something similar to XBConnect for Gamecube...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If it's true it'll have P2P Broadband support, sounds like someone realized that they were being stupid and rigged up a native version of XBConnect

Either way, if it's true it's good to hear that SOMEONE at Nintendo has their head on straight

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
To me it's bizarre they would even announce it without native internet support; two-console link goes back well over a decade with Atari Lynx (actually up to 16 nodes), NEC TurboExpress, and Gameboy.

For home consoles, system link titles are available for the PSX, Saturn, Dreamcast, and others.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately the # of games not on handhelds that took advantage of said system link can be counted on both hands

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting news. Does this mean they have programmed the game to fully support online play, or just LAN?

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I don't believe this to just mean LAN support. How often do you hear LAN gaming refered to as Broadband?

I think this actually means that you will be able to play the game over the internet against another user.

Glen

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Glen,
I doubt it. I've never heard of LAN gaming to be considered the same as Broadband gameing; LAN stands for Local Area Network, whereas broadband is anything but local. I'm looking forward to hooking two 'cubes together for big Mario Kart games. Mario Kart is a great party game; 3/4 of the fun is playing with your friends.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Brian,

Let's just say that I'm hopeful. :)

I know someone will get this working eventually. This little news tidbit just caught me off guard yesterday. I've looked through most of the major news sites and this is the only mention of it. It just seems like an odd story to post when Nintendo had announced LAN capabilities for Double Dash quite some time ago.

Got me.

Glen

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Oh, if it uses ethernet, somebody will get it working over the internet.

But it could likely be a laggy mess if the game was coded assuming extremely low latency.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If I had to guess, they probably stuck in some Internet login protocols, and will say something like "We don't support Internet play"

I would guess it's a developer descision rather than Nintendo's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks