What's new

Mario Kart Advance Review (1 Viewer)

Andre F

Screenwriter
My Wife picked this one up as a surprise for me a couple of days ago. So far I have really enjoyed this title. Nothing new but really tight solid gameplay. Pick it up only if you like the same old kart style racing that you played on SNES and N64. The GBA is turning out to be one of my favorite systems in years. Here's to hoping for Metroid Advance.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
It's lots of fun and has lots of tracks, but I am finding the tracks to be quite short. I haven't played them all yet but most races (in 50cc) are over in under two minutes. I'm glad the coins are back.
jeremy

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I know this is off-topic, but there is a game coming out that has you on a quad and you race around and can go up hills and such, all rendered in 3-D. Based on the games that are out for it and the ones that are coming, I could see the GBA outselling the PSX (which has at least 1 in every 4 households in the US, or something like that).
I love technology.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm also disappointed that the tracks are short and there aren't many of them. Also, because of the small screen size, the game can be a bit hard to see with everything constantly moving. Nonetheless, I think it's a great game. I just wish I had someone else to play with.
~T

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Not many tracks? There are 40 tracks altogether in Mario Kart SC!
eek.gif

------------------

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Details are sort of sketchy, but according to ign.com it seems that you can unlock all of the old SNES tracks by coming in first place on all the courses and getting a certain number of coins or certain grade (or SOMETHING)... Whatever you have to do, it's something to work for.

Frank_Lee

Agent
From my own experience with the game, in a certain GP you have to first win the gold in each cup. After that if you go back and replay a cup and get 100 coins or more, the same cup from the SNES Mario Kart is unlocked. You can access it by pressing the L or R button.
The original Mario Kart tracks are 5 laps per race. They've also removed one track from the Mushroom, Flower, Star, and Special cups and merged them into the Lightning cup. This makes each cup 4 tracks just like the newer ones. I personally preferred the 5 tracks, 5 laps style myself but 3 laps and 4 tracks is almost as good.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Is the original music from the SNES game retained, or have they gone and bloody changed it like with F-Zero?
Dan (UK)
-- Still doesnt have a GBA
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on September 01, 2001 at 06:40 AM]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
to unlock the secret tracks, you have to get 100 coins or more and have the gold cup in each race? and that's it??
This games is really fun!
It's even more fun if you have good speakers hooked up to it :)
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on September 20, 2001 at 10:11 AM]

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Picked this game up the other day, must say it rocks! I think it has a much better sense of speed than the SNES Mario Kart. Heres to hoping Donkey Kong Racing is just as good.
------------------
Link Removed
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread