What's new

Mario Golf for the gamecube ? (1 Viewer)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Here's the link to Gamerankings.

It's averaging about 80%

Mario Golf reviews

I'm enjoying the game. Not that I've had a ton of chances to play it, but it's a pretty solid "arcade" golf game.

Glen

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I've had a lot of fun with it so far, and is the only reason I bought a cube.
Very Addicting, Im quite pleased (comparing to hot shots 3)

Why is it frustrating for you James??

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Oh, I don't know. Because I'm bad at it and I can't seem to improve. I'm willing to accept games that are difficult, but not games that are insanely hard (a la NES Ice Hockey) or that I just can't 'get' (Mario Golf). I just can't compensate for the wind, and for some reason my hitting sucks (which is odd, because I'm usually good at button mashing timing type things). Plus the computer makes 4 out of 5 shots "Nice shot!"...

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Never played it, though I'm given to understand from reviews that it's the same, but better. Except supposedly there are less wacky courses.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Gotcha. I just wanted a reference point. I have, and loved, the N64 version. Meaning, I will probably like this game (when it gets down to players choice price!)

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I had the N64 version and loved it. Bought Toadstool Tour the day it came out and have put in a fair amount of time. So far it has proven a worthy successor in my eyes. The graphics are big step up and the course design is very interesting. Overall I'd rather play it than the earlier version, but there are some very big problems I would like to vent about. If I may begin at the beginning:

1 The camera is junk. You can only move along the path of the ball? Crazy. A big step down from the original.

2 Putting. The most difficult putt in the game is the gimmie. If you've got less than three feet to the pin, don't just assume you'll make it. The button taps have to be made so quickly that I can rarely get it inside the 10 ft marker and just have to pray the game will be kind to me and let it sink. Honestly I don't remember how the original handled this situation, but that's kind of my point. You didn't have to think all that hard about sinking a three foot putt. Now you do and I don't like it.

3 What happened to the computer controlled opponents? Back in the day I used to play with two friends and one computer controlled character. Now it seems you can't play against the computer if you have more than one human playing. Is this true? We used to throw in a novice computer controlled character so that the worst player in the group would have someone to beat. You know, we're all winners tonight sort of thinking. Yeah it's a bit lame, but for me and my friends it is an option that will be missed.

Pieter

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
For short puts you can let it go to the end and then come back to get a more accurate putting distance.

I hate the camera on this game.. it often does not show your ball very well especially during putting.. to the point of annoyance... also a lot of the golfers heads get in the way of putting.

On the bright side it is fun and has good graphics and solid gameplay.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
For short puts you can let it go to the end and then come back to get a more accurate putting distance.
True, but that method is so counter-intuitive to the rest of the gameplay that I often have worse results with it than the regular method.

I do agree with your bright side, however. The game is a lot of fun.

Pieter

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I hate golf, I can rarely stand miniature golf, but I have been playing this game constantly since I picked it up.
So simple, yet so addictive...back to playing!

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Nick,
I'm just like you!

I got the game yesterday, on my brother's recomendation. Really enjoying it so far. Not sure who my favorite golfer is yet, I like Koopa a lot though. Trying to beat the Blooper Bay course in tournament mode right now. My fiancee and I played Doubles last night, it was fun, but we got beatten horribly.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Well, I've only got two "star" characters left to unlock at this point. I just won the 3rd tournament, so I still have plenty to go. I'm still really enjoying the game. I just need to get a good bit of it done before F-Zero shows up next week.

Glen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks