What's new

Mario Bava's Rabid Dogs (1 Viewer)

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
In the middle of this Link Removed there is mention of a copy of this rare DVD available from Video Watchdog. Anyone know if this is legit?

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator
It is legit. But it's not too legit to quit. In fact its long out of print and gets a high price on ebay. There is a German version that I believe is still in print. I am not sure of its region coding or whether it has an English track or subtitles. It's probably PAL though. It is also supposed to be of much higher picture quality than the version Video Watchdog sold. Since the source materials were of much varying quality, for the American DVD, they decided to degrade the image of the good quality footage to keep the image consistent. They didn't do that on the German one. Which is better? I guess it depends on whether you like the image consistent or always at its best.

The producer Mario Bava worked a lot with, Alfredo Leone (I think that's his name) is currently working on a new version of the film. Rabid Dogs was not finished while Bava was alive, and was only recently completed, with new footage actually shot. Leone didn't like this footage and is doing his own version. This version should be hitting DVD in the future. When, I don't know.

Iggy_P

Auditioning
The DVD sold from Video Watchdog was the legit release from Lucertola Media (this release had english subtitles by the editor of Video Watchdog, Tim Lucas). BUT the disc has oong since sold out, and Video Watchdog has no more in stock. Ebay is the only option.

It is correct that german company Astro released RABID DOGS on DVD as WILD DOGS recently. It is a MUCH better print. Excellent quality and colors that blows the Lucertola Media version out of the water. It is also correctly framed at 1.85:1 (as opposed til Lucertolas 1.66:1). But the german release has only italian and german soundtracks and no english subtitles. It also has a slightly longer ending.

Alfredo Leone has stated that he thinks the german Astro release isnt legit, but nothing has been confirmed. It is still being sold in germany.

Alfredo Leone wants to re-release RABID DOGS in the US, but he wants to shoot new scenes (even a new ending) and retitle it before it is released again.

M

MaxY

It is so cool to see people talking about a rare DVD That I own. :emoji_thumbsup:
Too Cool!!!
I can state that it does actually exist because I have one in the other room.
Just wondering does anyone know what this thing is going for on E-bay?

M

MaxY

I just did a search on Ebay and there is not even one copy of this DVD up for sale.
I guess I might have me a real genuine rare DVD.
I guess I should try to make a buck selling it.
The bidding starts at 1 Billion Dollars!!!:D
Max

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Several months ago, I saw it sold for substantially more at eBay -- around $500. This Link Removed has it for $175 ("free" shipping). Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks