Mario Bava's Black Sunday

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Todd_Brown, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Hey all,
    Has this movie ever been released on DVD? I thought there was an Image release, but I could be wrong. If not DVD was it released on Laser Disc?
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

yes, an Image release w/ very nice anamorphic OAR with iirc, a commentary from Tim Lucas

3. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Was that a Region 1 release?

4. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Yes. It is a 1999 Image release. As mentioned, it boast a very nice 1.66:1 anamorphic transfer of the original unrated European version of the film aka, "The Mask of Satan." Tim Lucas (Video Watchdog magazine) provides an audio commentary and liner notes. The transfer is excellent, and if you are a fan, this is the version to get.

5. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Thanks all. I found it and ordered it!
    Todd

6. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

While on the subject of Bava, has anyone heard anything about new releases of Bay of Blood/Twitch of the Death Nerve and/or Blood and Black Lace? I know the previous R1 versions of these have been OOP for a while, and I've heard some rumors that the rights have moved to Blue Underground. Anyone in the know about this?

Also, why can't we get a decent R1 release of Kill, Baby, Kill!? I know this is a PD title, but I'm also hoping that BU will do a proper release, perhaps in a box set with the other Bava titles they have rights to.

7. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

I also have the 1999 Image DVD release. I bought it back in 1999 and the transfer does looks fantastic. And having the European Cut (and not the stupidly editted US release) is a joy. I love this movie. I bought the VHS tape around 12 years ago but it took me a long time to find the VHS because all I could remember about the movie from seeing it during my pre-teens was:

the masks being put on and Barbara Steele's skeletal upper torso after rising from her casket.

and couldn't remember the title. [​IMG]

8. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Anchor Bay is going to be re-releasing most of the Bava titles (unless something has changed in the past month or so).

9. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    Blood and Black Lace is coming out from VCI in Unleashed Edition (whatever that means) on October 25th. No specs were announced yet.

10. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Actually that should be "Unslashed", as in uncut I guess.

-Ian

11. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The Image Bava DVDs are actually quite expensive and seeing as Anchor Bay are said to be planning new SEs, I have't bought much of them, even though I am a huge Bava fan. There are great, uncut transfers many of Bava's films already available in Europe, for example:

Black Sunday: 2-Disc Special Edition (1960)
    Compared HERE at DVD Beaver
    Available: HERE

The Whip and the Body (1963) (German anamorphic edition in Italian with English subtitles)
    The German edition also has the Tim Lucas commentary!

Blood and Black Lace (1964) (German anamorphic edition in Italian with English subtitles)
    Reviewed: HERE
    - The 2-disc was a Limted Edition (only 1000 copies) but
    there is a single disc edition, but it doesn't have the
    English subs. I'm still kicking myself for not ordering
    the 2-disc set.

Planet of the Vampire (1966) (Anamorphic German edition, with English dub track)
    Review: HERE (In German language)
    - The gorgeous anamorphic German edition is based on the
    same print as the R1 MGM edition, which is NON-anamorphic.

Kill, Baby... Kill! (1966) (German letterboxed edition with NO English subtitles)
    Comparison: HERE at DVD Beaver
    Available HERE

Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1969) (UK edition is gorgeous and includes a 60-minute docu on the Maestro)
    Compared: HERE at DVD Beaver

Twitch of the Death Nerve (1971) (Italian edition with excellent anamorphic transfer and English subtitles)
    Startling comparison: HERE between the R1 and excellent Italian R2

Baron Blood (1972) (Italian edition with excellent anamorphic transfer and English subtitles)
    Reviewed: There was a DVD Maniacs review of the Italian R2 disc, but it has disappeared.

Rabid Dogs (1974) (German edition with superior transfer, but had no subtitles)
    Comparison: HERE
    The OOP R1 is available HERE (Type in "Rabid Dogs"}

Link deleted by moderator; DO NOT REPOST. - MR

Lisa and the Devil: Italian 2-Disc Special Edition (Anamorphic widescreen) (1974/75)
    Reviewed: HERE (the screenshots have died)
    The recut "House of Exorcism" is one of Bava's worst
    films, but Lisa and the Devil is one of his
    very best, I feel. DVD Savant's review is excellent, also.

DVD Maniacs' Mario Bava review page is also well worth reading.

Tartan Video in the UK said that they were going to be releasing a Bava boxed set in late 2005, but I haven't heard anything. Anchor Bay in the USA were also rumoured to be working on many films, but the Image discs haven't went OOP, so I'm not sure what's going on there. The best person to ask in probably Tim Lucas: [email protected]

12. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

13. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Image was going to release a "Mario Bava Collection", which was just the old discs put together in a box set with a reduced price but this was canceled. A few weeks later AB announced they were working on the titles.

14. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the updates and info, one and all...

I obviously confused BU with AB once again. It's good to hear that they're working on the Bava films - fits in with the usual material they handle so well. I'm also jumping on that VCI release of B&BL in October. DDD has it listed for pre-order at only $9.00! Quite a savings from the $40 plus that the OOP version goes for on Ebay.

15. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Stunt Coordinator

16. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I'm very glad to read about the Anchor Bay plans for Bava and I hope they do a great job because I missed most of the Bava releases the first time around. (I just rented Kill, Baby, Kill this weekend and, man, that disc was ugly.)

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

According to Tim Lucas, the upcoming release of Blood & Black Lace from VCI is going to use the beautiful German transfer, so that should be a very big step up from the prior release and worth waiting for. It will also have additional materials contributed by Lucas.

His massive Mario Bava book is still in a bit of limbo but hopefully his printer woes will get straightened out before long. You can follow the saga (and see some sample pages) at www.bavabook.com